Braids, Normal or PE Braids. There is so much confusion

TackleNut

Braids, Normal or PE Braids. There is so much confusion

Post by TackleNut » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:09 am

Hello to all,

For a long time now I have been getting asked the difference between normal Dyneema Braid & PE Braid ( Polyethylene) and this question just keeps coming up time and time again so I thought I might as well put it out there for the world to see.
So let’s see if I can clear it up for you that are reading this;
Don't be Fooled by some advertisements that PE Braid Fishing Lines is any different to 100% Dyneema/Spectra Braid Fishing Line as all are made with the same material, Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene (UHMWPE) or otherwise known by their Trade Names as Dyneema or Spectra.
Mainly Europe & Asia call it Dyneema while the USA called it Spectra for many years and now they are coming around to adopt the same name to stop confusion.
Now here is where it gets more so confusing, Japan have been different and have called it PE Braid for many years to because they have rated the Braid differently to Rest of the World as most of the Braid producing companies rate it by tensile strength be it pounds or kilos, while PE Braid is rated by its diameter.
All 100% Dyneema/Spectra Braids should be nearly identical in strength for any given Diameter; the material/substance is the same no matter who makes it so each makers lines come out nearly the same strength and diameter size, note that I have used the word nearly as it is a rough guide.

So here we have the situation of one Braid being rated on its Diameter, let’s look at the PE1 rated Braids.
These are approx 11lb to 14lbs in strength and as the diameter increases it of course gets stronger, so basically for every 1 PE higher the diameter rating of the line goes, it gains approximately 11-14lbs. For example a PE4 Braid would be approximately equal to a 50lb Braid, PE5 to roughly 60lb+ and so on. Once again it’s how the manufacturer tweaks and fine tunes the lines so that they have different characteristics, some may be Softer while others slightly stiffer but with more abrasion resistance. It comes down to trade off’s with these, no one line does it all the best.

The fact is that many of the lines that are exported from the USA to Japan are the same lines that are sent all over the world and just labeled & packaged differently, just look at Pure Fishing’s line up of manufactures ( Berkley, Stren, Spiderwire ) then their also is Power Pro and others that sell “PE Lines” in Japan and “Normal Braid” elsewhere. I myself a few years back had brought in Fireline & Spiderwire that was Japanese’s packaged, these had over half the packaging written in Japanese and were PE rated as well as having a lb rating on them.

In the end, for all the hype surrounding “PE Braids” they are the same thing as normal “Dyneema or Spectra Braids” just that they are rated differently and now some sellers & manufactures are unscrupulously taking advantage of the fact that many buyers don’t know the difference and would now buy the PE Braid as it has become a common buzz word among the fishing community with many long time fisho’s actually believing that they are buying a superior product due to its PE Labeling due to not knowing the difference.
With all this going on, What chance does the once a year holiday fisherman/woman or kids have of understanding it ???

I hope I have cleared some of the mystery of PE Braids up for you.

If you have any questions that I may be of any help just let me know.

Tight Lines to All,
Nick

SFP Guy.

Re: Braids, Normal or PE Braids. There is so much confusion

Post by SFP Guy. » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:02 am

Nice work Nick.

I think a lot of beginners / blue moon fishers get caught up in the need to use braid for whatever reason.

Nothing wrong with Mono though, people have been catching all sorts of fish with it for many years.

Cheers,

Cam.

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:32 am

Superb post Nick...I found it cleared up confusion I`ve been having for some time...

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:22 am

:clap: :thumbsup:
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:39 am

Awesome read nick! good stuff mate
PLENTY!! of FISH!! in the SEA!! but so little TIME!!!

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:02 am

Thanks for that Nick, you are right its pretty confusing. Especially when one type is rated by diameter and the others by strength.

Here is a question:

Do you guys always stick to braid these days or do you still use mono for certain situations?
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Tonyzee

Post by Tonyzee » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:49 am

I was in store the other day and this guy was convinced he needed braid, I asked him what he was using it for and basically off the pier landbased style baiting, I recommended mono to him, heaps cheaper and would easily do the trick. So easy for the newbies to get caught up in all this marketing crap.

nhillboy

Post by nhillboy » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:08 am

Good stuff Nick, good read.
I researched braid a few years ago for the same reason you mentioned and went with 100% Dyneema. Mainly use braid on my surf rods for longer casts. :cheers:

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:31 am

SteveoTheTiger wrote:Do you guys always stick to braid these days or do you still use mono for certain situations?
I have never really stuck with braid. I have braid on two baitcasters but prefer mono for spinning applications (freshwater). I have fished for trout alongside people who use braid and I have done just as good as them, if not better.
thanks
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:32 pm

Rod Bender wrote:
SteveoTheTiger wrote:Do you guys always stick to braid these days or do you still use mono for certain situations?
I have never really stuck with braid. I have braid on two baitcasters but prefer mono for spinning applications (freshwater). I have fished for trout alongside people who use braid and I have done just as good as them, if not better.
thanks
Jim
I am the other way around. Mono on baitcaster and braid in egg beaters. I find it hard to remove a braid tangle on bait casters. I mainly use braided lines a) for longer casts b) no memory and c) less troubles on twists.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Return to “Hooks, Line & Sinkers”