Why use a leader????

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Why use a leader????

Post by Texas » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:06 pm

If fish "fresh" mainly
I have seen a lot about joining line to a leader.
I fish 8lb mono all the way, with a swivel or ring to keep the sinker in it's place (if using one)
I use a clip swivel if using a lure
Why do need or use a leader ?????
Cheers Gra

Jasonfish1234
Has liked: 234 times

Re: Why use a leader????

Post by Jasonfish1234 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:28 pm

To me it depend on the situation what you try to achieve for example If I use a surf rod i need braid to long cast, since mono is much ticker and lesser the cast distance but it strong against abrasion while braid it is not, so I'll combine braid with mono, to farther cast and protect against rock when fish try to run to them. it very depend on how you want to achieve the rig characteristic and use the line is advantage against the fish or what you try to achieve
Keeping going, Keeping fighting, Keeping fishing, Keeping do your best.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:15 pm

Use a leader if you’re using braid.

If you’re using straight through mono, well, consider changing to braid. It’s a better connection to the lure. Better feedback etc

If you’re just bait fishing mono will be fine

russellh2
Has liked: 1 time

Post by russellh2 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:22 pm

Fish 4lb straight through in fresh except when fishing for Cod - 20lb Braid and 20lb Leader.

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:47 pm

More so for abrasion resistance... against the bottom, or against the fish's mouth. Mono is generally much softer and much less forgiving against these elements. Braid has very little.

Jasonfish1234

Post by Jasonfish1234 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:58 pm

Or use fluoro for low visibility, thin diameter, and good sensitivity as the leader.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:58 pm

People generally use a leader when fishing braid.
Braided line is visible underwater.
So to counteract that a short bit of monofilament line or fluorocarbon line is added at the lure end to make things a bit more natural.
Also as mentioned braided line is very fragile if knicked on rocks, pylons, barnacles etc etc. To avoid that the leader is used as a sacrificial lamb as it is more resistant to getting Knicks etc etc.

Then there is also a bite leader.
Basically a higher strength mono or fluorocarbon line joined at the business end so that fish dont bite you off. Or bust you off by rubbing on their skin( sharks etc)

Leader also acts like a shock absorber when used with braid, it absorbs some of the lunges and head shakes that come off the fish helping to keep that braid from snapping, and also cushions the braid and rod tip when the rod is loaded up to do a cast
hence why it's also called shock leader

Leader is also usefull when targetting very spooked fish on lures. Where you use reallly fine breaking strain to present a lure to the fish like bream etc.

Fluorocarbon leader is just plain mono line that has been made in a different way and treated with special coatings to increase its abrasion and also be invisible under water.

Some fish can be leader shy ( bream) and others not(salmon)

Next time you go fishing mr ranger, try a bit if fluorocarbon leader between the hook and swivel and see if the catch rate increases..
Last edited by purple5ive on Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jasonfish1234

Post by Jasonfish1234 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:00 pm

Best leader to me. Is fluoro carbon

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:52 am

purple5ive wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:58 pm
People generally use a leader when fishing braid.
Braided line is visible underwater.
So to counteract that a short bit of monofilament line or fluorocarbon line is added at the lure end to make things a bit more natural.
Also as mentioned braided line is very fragile if knicked on rocks, pylons, barnacles etc etc. To avoid that the leader is used as a sacrificial lamb as it is more resistant to getting Knicks etc etc.

Then there is also a bite leader.
Basically a higher strength mono or fluorocarbon line joined at the business end so that fish dont bite you off. Or bust you off by rubbing on their skin( sharks etc)

Leader also acts like a shock absorber when used with braid, it absorbs some of the lunges and head shakes that come off the fish helping to keep that braid from snapping, and also cushions the braid and rod tip when the rod is loaded up to do a cast
hence why it's also called shock leader

Leader is also usefull when targetting very spooked fish on lures. Where you use reallly fine breaking strain to present a lure to the fish like bream etc.

Fluorocarbon leader is just plain mono line that has been made in a different way and treated with special coatings to increase its abrasion and also be invisible under water.

Some fish can be leader shy ( bream) and others not(salmon)

Next time you go fishing mr ranger, try a bit if fluorocarbon leader between the hook and swivel and see if the catch rate increases..
Couldn't have said it better my self mate

Sebb
Has liked: 2999 times

Post by Sebb » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:52 am

Was gonna say something but few goods ones already there.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Return to “Hooks, Line & Sinkers”