Fluorocarbon leaders?

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Fluorocarbon leaders?

Post by sloth » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:14 pm

Brownie wrote:Hi guys. Just trying to understand something with flouro leaders.
I do use it from time to time but recently thought, what's the difference in buying a made as leader flouro compared to buying say a spool of Berkley Vanish to use for the same purpose? A spool of dedicated leader is often dearer than a spool of Vanish which contains 3 or even 4 times the amount! Is it because maybe the dedicated leader is a bit tougher abrasion wise? Other than that what's the real difference, if there is any, because it would be way cheaper to buy Vanish otherwise!?
You're bang on - leader material is formulated to be more abrasion resistance and tougher. It tends to be less supple than spinning flouro for this reason.

I've tried a ton of different fc leaders and settled on Yamatoyo Harris fighter.

Knot wise you need to take a bit more care and plenty of lubrication - I found a 4 wrap uni knot holds well - more wraps seem to weaken it and it pops easier.

Vanish I found to be pretty average

Brownie

Re: Fluorocarbon leaders?

Post by Brownie » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:26 pm

Thanks for the input and replies guys. Prompted me to do a few google searches on any issues with Vanish. Was split pretty even for and against. Were mentions of its earlier version being total crap by all, but split with the more recent stuff. Gotta admit that puts doubts in the back of ones mind. Looks like I'll grab a dedicated, even if just for that reason. Thanks guys, cheers.

Return to “Hooks, Line & Sinkers”