Has liked: 5 times

Re: Best knots for swivels?

Post by dazz999 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:47 pm

uni knot easy to tie in the wet and windy conditions and strong as

rodderslw

Post by rodderslw » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:49 pm

Mattblack wrote:Hi Guys,
Whats the best knot to use when tying your mono line to a swivel?...(I've always used a 1/2 blood knot, but they aren't 100%)
Uni knott. You can also double the tag and tie it if using thin mono or braid.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:59 pm

I use the Centauri knot pass the tag twice through the swivel then form the loops great on braid or mono
Last edited by Nude up on Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hosery

Post by Hosery » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:24 pm

frozenpod wrote:
rb85 wrote:Is the clinch knot/blood knot the same?
Half Blood with the finishing lock (can go by many names ie improved half blood knot, locked half blood knot, half blood knot, or clinch knot or improved clinch knot, locked clinch knot depending on who you talk to or which knot book you read) is one of the best strongest most reliable knots by far better than a uni knot.
I seriously beg to differ on this one. A uni knot is something like 90 odd % strength. I have no idea what a blood knot, clinch knot what ever you like to call it strength is but I doubt it would be up there. I’ve never had a uni fail me yet. But had to many blood knots fail hence the change.

STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Post by STriplett1997 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:29 pm

Hosery wrote:
frozenpod wrote:
Half Blood with the finishing lock (can go by many names ie improved half blood knot, locked half blood knot, half blood knot, or clinch knot or improved clinch knot, locked clinch knot depending on who you talk to or which knot book you read) is one of the best strongest most reliable knots by far better than a uni knot.
I seriously beg to differ on this one. A uni knot is something like 90 odd % strength. I have no idea what a blood knot, clinch knot what ever you like to call it strength is but I doubt it would be up there. I’ve never had a uni fail me yet. But had to many blood knots fail hence the change.
Weird. I’ve never had a blood/clinch knot fail once. Don’t think it really matters what knot everyone uses as long a it works for you with the species you’re targeting

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:47 am

Hosery wrote:
frozenpod wrote:

The key factor is how well you can tie a knot. If you tie a uni knot well (arguably the easiest knot to tie) and a improved clinch poorly the uni knot will win every time.

Feel free to search knot strength test (I have posted them before for braid to leader as well as terminal tackle knots). Typical results uni knot 65%, Improved Clinch is about 75% and San Diego Jam is about 78%.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:32 am

frozenpod wrote:
Hosery wrote:
frozenpod wrote:

The key factor is how well you can tie a knot. If you tie a uni knot well (arguably the easiest knot to tie) and a improved clinch poorly the uni knot will win every time.

Feel free to search knot strength test (I have posted them before for braid to leader as well as terminal tackle knots). Typical results uni knot 65%, Improved Clinch is about 75% and San Diego Jam is about 78%.
Exactly right poorly tied knots fail I learnt this the hard way learning the fg knot it can costs you lures and fish.

Practice on the couch.

Return to “Hooks, Line & Sinkers”