cheap snapper combo and braid options

Gummysmasher

Re: cheap snapper combo and braid options

Post by Gummysmasher » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:20 pm

paul worselings store in Cranbourne had $20 snapper rods!

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:46 pm

Went in there today and had a look the sonic pro 3-6kg snapper and sienna 4000 with the karikai braid def looks like a winner..
I have another week to think about it before the sale is over.
Ill look at other options as well.

I purchased a few sephia jigs for $10 while i was there. New models as well..

I was quite tempted by the daiwa laguna pack but there's no braid with it.

Bowl spinfisher is quite a large reel and its a glass rod. Rather graphite if i can...

Ps. Anyone think i should go 2500 sienna and use the combos as a whiting combo as well????
Saves me buying more gear...

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:21 pm

purple5ive wrote:Went in there today and had a look the sonic pro 3-6kg snapper and sienna 4000 with the karikai braid def looks like a winner..
I have another week to think about it before the sale is over.
Ill look at other options as well.

I purchased a few sephia jigs for $10 while i was there. New models as well..

I was quite tempted by the daiwa laguna pack but there's no braid with it.

Bowl spinfisher is quite a large reel and its a glass rod. Rather graphite if i can...

Ps. Anyone think i should go 2500 sienna and use the combos as a whiting combo as well????
Saves me buying more gear...
I caught my 83cm snapper on laguna ... main issue is silent drag....
Did ya check out battle combo ?

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:23 pm

Laguna that was there was louder than the sienna. You might have a dud clicker mechanism.
Didn't see the battle combo. I'm buying 4 combos so i won't be able to afford that one cause ill need line as well.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:44 pm

The 2500 is good size for whiting and squid

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:19 pm

purple5ive wrote:Ok,
so im looking at buying some bait outfits for snapper this season.(im assuming something around the 4-7kg with a 4000 reel would be ideal PPB outfits)
i seriously am considering the BCF $99 deal for shimano sonic pro rod, sienna reel and the karikai braid. its too good a deal not to get even though im not a shimano fan ill have to suck it up hahaha..

anyway, dinga also has some good deals going on atm
They have some jarvis walker graphite rods for $35, and some rovex/finn norr reels thats are around the $35 mark.
now i would obviously need some line for the Dinga option.
has anyone used/had any experience with the Powerpro/Cortland/fireline and the rovex branded braids.
these will be only used for bait fishing hence im trying to be as cheap as possible.
cheers
is it such a good deal sienna reel aprox $45 Karikai braid $29 the rod sounds like junk when anaconda do the j braid for $26 = $71 if i was buying 4 combos i would hit up my local tackle shop

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:03 am

I don't think you can go wrong with these mate. Yes the rod's aren't the bees neez, but given the purpose... it's really all you are going to need. The Sienna's and braid are both quality for the price.

I got two of these combo's in the 2-4kg range, one being the boat version and one being the lure. The boat is a fibreglass rod with a longer, rubber but whilst the lure a shorter cork but in graphite.

If your plan is to have your deckies work the rods in their hands, then go the lure. If you want to kick back and leave the rods in the rod holders, then go the boat.

You won't have any problems getting the job done with the setup.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:12 am

Steve you planning on bait fishing ppb with these outfits?

Are you going to be fishing multiple rods?

If so. Unless you want to fish weighted and on the bottom you should really consider 15lb mono on the outfits. You also need a rod with a half decent backbone to set the hooks in the larger snapper. Suggest minimum 3-6kg for that.

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:23 am

ducky wrote:Steve you planning on bait fishing ppb with these outfits?

Are you going to be fishing multiple rods?

If so. Unless you want to fish weighted and on the bottom you should really consider 15lb mono on the outfits. You also need a rod with a half decent backbone to set the hooks in the larger snapper. Suggest minimum 3-6kg for that.
Also something to consider - if you are going to be fishing WP, fibreglass option might handle some of the sinker weights a bit better.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:32 am

Thanks for thw replies guys.
This is bait only 90% of the time and will sit in the rod holder and wait for the fish to take them. Nobody is going to hold anything.
The only off chance they are schooling up and taking lures then i will change the hooks over to a brick of a jighead and give them to deckys.

3-6kg is what im thinking as well.

I seen those bait models they are fibreglass and noodlish. I was thinking of getting the lure model 3-6kg graphite rods. The butt is long enough to sit in the rod holder. Already checked that.

The heavier model 4-8kg is quite a bit longer and since there's restricted room as is i was thinking the shorter rods are probably going to be easier to use.

The other option i have in mind is the laguna 10-11kg broomstick in 6 foot. Plenty of backbone there to stop everything ppb can throw at it.
(But its $120 and no braid. Just rod and reel)
Im just not sure if going light on newbie deckies is a good idea or not. both tend to wind like mad once the fish is on. Havent quite understood the pump and wind technique yet...

Return to “Hooks, Line & Sinkers”