Wind on leaders?

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Wind on leaders?

Post by smile0784 » Sat May 13, 2017 7:30 am

Is there a set guide for what size wind on for the size of main line?

I run 50lb braid on most of my game outfits and they are for chasing tuna and marlin at bermagui and portland.

My 2, tld 50s have 100mt of 100lb mono top shot.
What size wind on should be used?

My 2, tld 30s have no topshot and just run braid straight to the snap swivel.

Should i put 150lb wind ons on all outfits or bigger rating ones on the tld 50s?

What are peoples thoughts on this?

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: Wind on leaders?

Post by Nude up » Sat May 13, 2017 11:48 am

When chasing marlin we use 300lb wind on's my tiagras run mono so I use a plaited double to attach the wind on. When chasing sbt we drop back to 150 to 200 lb. On the rods running braid we use a bimini twist double to attach the wind on for some strange reason i find a bimini twist is easy to tie in braid but hard in mono.
We crimp a snap swivel to the end of the wind on then attach the lures or live bait rig which run there own leaders

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Sat May 13, 2017 3:06 pm

Nude up wrote:When chasing marlin we use 300lb wind on's my tiagras run mono so I use a plaited double to attach the wind on. When chasing sbt we drop back to 150 to 200 lb. On the rods running braid we use a bimini twist double to attach the wind on for some strange reason i find a bimini twist is easy to tie in braid but hard in mono.
We crimp a snap swivel to the end of the wind on then attach the lures or live bait rig which run there own leaders

I think you'll find this is the norm for game fishing, not a lot of ppl use braid, due to the igfa regulations.

ncr1

Post by ncr1 » Sat May 13, 2017 3:09 pm

Have you considered NOT using a wind-on at all?

Personally, I'm not a fan of wind-ons because I believe the disadvantages of having one will generally override the advantages. I am planning to discuss this a bit further in my Portland thread a bit further down the track.

I try to keep my rigs fairly simple - plaited double down to a ball-bearing snap swivel. Leader then connects to the snap. Simple.

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Sat May 13, 2017 4:42 pm

ncr1 wrote:Have you considered NOT using a wind-on at all?

Personally, I'm not a fan of wind-ons because I believe the disadvantages of having one will generally override the advantages. I am planning to discuss this a bit further in my Portland thread a bit further down the track.

I try to keep my rigs fairly simple - plaited double down to a ball-bearing snap swivel. Leader then connects to the snap. Simple.

This might be ok with mono, but he runs braid.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Sat May 13, 2017 5:45 pm

ncr1 wrote:Have you considered NOT using a wind-on at all?

I use wind-ons but reckon you're spot on with the disadvantages overriding the advantages. I think for fish that arent going to take hours to boat they are okay.. But I've lost a big tuna after 4.5hours due to the dacron wearing through the twist. I only had 150lb leader on chasing SBT and 50lb mainline.

Simpler is usually better in my opinion.

Cheers, Anth

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun May 14, 2017 1:52 pm

I would have thought the FG would have been very popular in game fishing. But it doesn't seem to be the case. ..
Apart from many people using mono lines is there any other reason why FG isn't used in a braid to mono connection

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Sun May 14, 2017 7:30 pm

FG doesn't last.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun May 14, 2017 8:01 pm

Can you elaborate a bit more???
I thought its the best knot for strength you can get that keeps almost the same breaking strain on braid and leader

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Sun May 14, 2017 11:59 pm

purple5ive wrote:Can you elaborate a bit more???
I thought its the best knot for strength you can get that keeps almost the same breaking strain on braid and leader
biminis and plaits are supposed to be stronger and more reliable. FG is more of a casting knot i thought, whereas the others would apply to trolling or baitfishing situations.

Return to “Hooks, Line & Sinkers”