I hate braid

dezza68

Re: I hate braid

Post by dezza68 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

Fish-cador wrote:Try squiding and your mono will ruin your day after about 50 casts. Try spinning up and down gunners and your mono will cut short your day trip to a few casts.
Horses for courses I prefer mono when spinning in the surf, the stretch helps with landing fish. Its never caused me any issues at the gunn. :)
Cast, catch and put it back

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:17 pm

What sort of distance are you hitting with mono?

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:06 am

fitzy90 wrote:
frozenpod wrote:Even in less than 20m the difference in bite detection and bottom holding is considerable.
going to agree to disagree with you on this one
Most (all?) of your fishing is in the gay puddle floating baits down in minimal tide? Agree with no to braid there.

Try mono in Westernport fishing near bouy 5 in even 20m, it's bad enough with 32oz of sinker mid tide with braid let alone all that drag and stretch of mono (50oz sinker maybe?)

Most of the problems arise from people being tight arses and expecting Bugatti performance. $30 cheap reels made to a price and super cheap garbage 'braid' on some Kmart $10 special rod. A decent reel, some actual quality braid on even a half decent under $100 rod and 95% of the issues will disappear instantly.

piscateur
Has liked: 63 times

Post by piscateur » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:20 am

I just cant go back to using mono or flouro for main line, just feel soo disconected with whats happening at the pointy end. The three main culprits in braid knots are your leader knot.
1) The slimmer the better, learn to tie an FG and you will be a much happier fisho.
2) Slightly under spool your line, is the level of you line on the spool should be 1.2 to 2 mm below the spool lip.
3) More of a pain here, but be cognisant of keeping line fairly tight whilst winding on line on your retrieve.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:45 am

I honestly think my catch rate has gone up by a large margin by using braid, I started using it only for surf work but I am using it for all my targeted species now, I don't use mono much at all these days I don't remember the last time I did ?
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:54 am

Braid is good to use

I still use mono though for snapper

Bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:52 pm

Basti wrote:What sort of distance are you hitting with mono?
Good question. I am also keen to see the answer.

Probably less than half the distance a braid can reach.

Mono stretches a lot that if you hook a big fish on light lines and assuming you land it, the line on your spool will be packing a tight grip and lines will start digging on the spool. Good luck with a big kelpfish. :rofl:

Probably using 50 lb mono.... :rofl:

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:58 pm

dezza68 wrote:Its never caused me any issues at the gunn. :)
I ditched mono due to issue of twists. I will pay to watch you spin up and down gunners using 20lb line max and still manage to maintain the integrity of your mono.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:13 pm

very interested to see mono in action at gunners (spinning), all prior experiences with mono lead me to believe that it will be far from as effective as braid and cause unnecessary issues.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Tackleberry
Has liked: 301 times

Post by Tackleberry » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:34 pm

cobby wrote:
fitzy90 wrote:
frozenpod wrote:Even in less than 20m the difference in bite detection and bottom holding is considerable.
going to agree to disagree with you on this one
Most (all?) of your fishing is in the gay puddle floating baits down in minimal tide? Agree with no to braid there.

Try mono in Westernport fishing near bouy 5 in even 20m, it's bad enough with 32oz of sinker mid tide with braid let alone all that drag and stretch of mono (50oz sinker maybe?)

Most of the problems arise from people being tight arses and expecting Bugatti performance. $30 cheap reels made to a price and super cheap garbage 'braid' on some Kmart $10 special rod. A decent reel, some actual quality braid on even a half decent under $100 rod and 95% of the issues will disappear instantly.

well said
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

Return to “Hooks, Line & Sinkers”