I hate braid

fitzy90

Re: I hate braid

Post by fitzy90 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:01 pm

cobby wrote:
fitzy90 wrote:
frozenpod wrote:Even in less than 20m the difference in bite detection and bottom holding is considerable.
going to agree to disagree with you on this one
Most (all?) of your fishing is in the gay puddle floating baits down in minimal tide? Agree with no to braid there.
80% in the big gay puddle, do a quite a bit of gummy fishing near the heads so im not sure how comparable that is to a WP tide.
The point i was making is that for me the cost vs benefit ratio is not significant enough to justify braid. Horses for courses though.

cobby wrote:Most of the problems arise from people being tight arses and expecting Bugatti performance. $30 cheap reels made to a price and super cheap garbage 'braid' on some Kmart $10 special rod. A decent reel, some actual quality braid on even a half decent under $100 rod and 95% of the issues will disappear instantly.
100% agree on this

skuxliss

Post by skuxliss » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:30 pm

I've been spinning with Mono at Gunners with no issue. Have used braid also, but personal preference is for mono. No issues casting 100+ meters with mono.

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:01 pm

Anyone who is 100% for mono, or 100% for braid, still has some experience to gain. They both have their benefits in certain situations.
Braid has no stretch and is thinner in diameter, whereas mono is thicker and has on average 25% stretch, and it is also more abrasion resistant. They have their pros and cons, that's for sure. I use braid with most of my gear nowadays, but not all.
My advice is that it's a personal preference. Use what works best for YOU, in the places YOU fish, for the species YOU target. Don't be scared to experiment a little.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:11 pm

skuxliss wrote:I've been spinning with Mono at Gunners with no issue. Have used braid also, but personal preference is for mono. No issues casting 100+ meters with mono.
I am willing to place a bet on this that there is no way you can hit 100m+ in gunners using spin gear on mono unless cows from the North are blown by the northerlies to Tassie.

Happy to meet to see the proof.

skuxliss

Post by skuxliss » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:09 am

Fish-cador wrote:
skuxliss wrote:I've been spinning with Mono at Gunners with no issue. Have used braid also, but personal preference is for mono. No issues casting 100+ meters with mono.
I am willing to place a bet on this that there is no way you can hit 100m+ in gunners using spin gear on mono unless cows from the North are blown by the northerlies to Tassie.

Happy to meet to see the proof.
Mind you, I only do spin at Gunners when it is a Northerly...But when you bench 220kg and physically fit it isn't an issue. I use to do Javelin as a sport, so throwing slugs around constantly aint an issue ;-)

piscateur
Has liked: 63 times

Post by piscateur » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:35 pm

skuxliss wrote:Mind you, I only do spin at Gunners when it is a Northerly...But when you bench 220kg and physically fit it isn't an issue. I use to do Javelin as a sport, so throwing slugs around constantly aint an issue ;-)
Just Take Fishcador down and show him how its done.

On a side note plenty of distance casters still use mono, these guys are throwing in excess of 200M albeit with sinkers only, but they will throw a baited rigs out 125M plus.

That said, I do find braid gains its greatest advantage in surf fishing whether it be casting slugs and surf rigs.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:29 pm

Only problem I have with braid is when using surface lures get shitty line twists.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:36 pm

rb85 wrote:Only problem I have with braid is when using surface lures get shitty line twists.
what sort of surface lures are you using to get line twist? a large part of my fishing atm is throwing surface lures and I haven't had any issues with line twist as a result of this
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:01 pm

Stick baits.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:03 pm

piscateur wrote:
skuxliss wrote:Mind you, I only do spin at Gunners when it is a Northerly...But when you bench 220kg and physically fit it isn't an issue. I use to do Javelin as a sport, so throwing slugs around constantly aint an issue ;-)
Just Take Fishcador down and show him how its done.

Cant wait for the invitation. Mind you, sinkers in gunners are normally 4oz (approx 120 grams). What's the heaviest lure you can safely cast repeatedly using 20 lb line, 60 grams?

Your bench press will not help your rod action. :rofl:

I will bring a couch, you bring your bench press. Lol

Return to “Hooks, Line & Sinkers”