Braid knots

BigBad64

Braid knots

Post by BigBad64 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:38 pm

I was surf-spinning at Gunnamatta yesterday (donuts) and kept getting little knots in the braid (20lb), not far below where it joined the leader.

(See circled in picture)

Managed to get them out each time with some time-consuming and finicky unpicking, but was wondering why it was happening?

Real PITA - be nice to prevent repeat occurrences.

I went from Gunnamatta to Mount Martha and then Frankston and didn't have any more knots while casting there for some reason.

[I did read the thread started by Wolly Bugger titled "Line twist equal knots in braid" from 2015 - TBH I didn't understand some of the advice there so decided to start a new thread]
Attachments
WP_20160812_08_20_57_Pro.jpg

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Re: Braid knots

Post by ducky » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:52 pm

That's a wind knot mate. If you run a shorter leader that's outside of the guides whilst casting you won't get them nearly as often.

On other more subtle forms of fishing I find an fg knot and having the leader knot around 1 rod length so it's between the reel and stripper guide when casting means I get fewer issues with casting.

BigBad64

Post by BigBad64 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:34 pm

Cheers for that.

Was running about a rod length of leader with the fg knot where you suggested.

If I run a short leader that has the knot outside of the guides when casting, I think I'll have trouble getting casting distance? I imagine the leader would have to be at least 60-70cm, and I'm using a 9' Catana.

I'm finding that I need the lure wound up fairly close to the top of the rod to cast effectively. Probably just need more practice.

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:57 pm

BigBad64 wrote:Cheers for that.

Was running about a rod length of leader with the fg knot where you suggested.

If I run a short leader that has the knot outside of the guides when casting, I think I'll have trouble getting casting distance? I imagine the leader would have to be at least 60-70cm, and I'm using a 9' Catana.

I'm finding that I need the lure wound up fairly close to the top of the rod to cast effectively. Probably just need more practice.
You'll cast further if anything, truth is, you won't notice any difference. 600mm is plenty long enough, as Ducky said, keep the knot outside the end eye.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:13 pm

My technique probably leaves a lot to be desired compared to some of the dedicated landbased fishos here but Id probably have the slug 1m or so from the tip when casting. I find if im chasing cast length over accuracy I end up with the lure a long way from the tip

BigBad64

Post by BigBad64 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:05 pm

Thanks boys - much appreciated.

I'll go with the 60cm leader and keep the knot outside the guides and see how I go.

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:56 am

I'm using half to 2/3 of the rod length of drop (length from rod tip to lure) if I'm casting long. Knot outside the guides

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:23 am

Hey mate.

I find sometimes when my line isn't spooled tight enough this happens, or often when i close my bail arm after casting there's a little loop over the top of the spool that sometimes catches on things.

About casting, I was fortunate enough to spend a few days with Jeremy Schrader earlier in the year, here are some vids talking about improving my own technique and also what an incredible beast he is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbGrezsiUtQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78aMn3jpyRw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJBQpC9omcU
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Post by greggo » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:12 am

Another thing that can cause wind knots is cheap braid. Some cheap braids go fluffy after a while, and is a known cause for knotting.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:10 am

make sure if your leader knot is outside the guides, that you be carefull while casting with your finger on the braid.
can turn nasty very quickly if your not carefull.
wear a thimble or something similar until you get the hang of it

Return to “Hooks, Line & Sinkers”