Inline hooks for lures

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Inline hooks for lures

Post by CarlG » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:26 pm

Decoy S'ergent jigging singles.
2/0 for average vic salmon, 4-5/0 for the bigger stuff.
Never had an issue with them.

savit

Post by savit » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:17 am

mazman wrote:
savit wrote:I just add another (2nd) split ring to the lure for correct hook point direction, so I can use available usual/bait hooks.
the hook point direction isn't the only difference they also have a larger eye to allow the hook more freedom of movement and tend to have a shorter shank
Just think about 2nd split ring as a large eye for the hook. I would say that flexibility is better here.

However, I have to mention that there may be a few issues as a 2nd split ring adds length to lure hook setup:
1. 2-split rings hook setup may not be suitable for 2-hooks short lures as the hooks may catch each other due to extra length.
2. It's not a fun to add smallish 2nd split ring to small lures even with tools.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:26 am

Tackleberry wrote:
4liters wrote:Only downside to them I've found is that the paint chips off really quickly
i haven't found a painted lead slug yet that don't but then again i don't cast these at soft mouthed salmon either

I love those outcasts. Really solid casting and a nice action. I find the paint chips are more from crashing them into bits of rock on the bottom of the beach or dinging them into the ledge i'm casting off rather than from the fish itself.

Agree entirely on the singles. 2/0 for salmon. 4/0 or 6/0 for bigger stuff depending on the size of the lure.

No reason to make it more complicated than that unless you're fishing super light for estuary species.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Return to “Hooks, Line & Sinkers”