who uses circle hook and what you think of them?

Trumpeter
Has liked: 71 times

Re: who uses circle hook and what you think of them?

Post by Trumpeter » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:06 pm

yzdood wrote:
chris seafarer wrote:Only hooks to use these days...blackmagic
x2
x3
The KL1/0's are a dynamite Whiting hook.

ThomasG

Post by ThomasG » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:14 pm

I changed to circles to stop damaging unwanted fish. It is always a problem for my wife who cannot resist a strike. Because we share rods I found it easier to go back to long shank barbless hooks than try to reeducate.
But then again I have stopped using braid and gone back to nylon so it may just be a phase thing.

ThomasG

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:17 pm

I've had trouble with KL's rusting in my tackle box compartment, even if I don't re-use them and put them back with the others at the end of the fishing session, the un-used ones still show signs of rust beginning. Killer whiting hook tho !

Anyone found this also ?
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

yzdood

Post by yzdood » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:47 pm

hornet wrote:I've had trouble with KL's rusting in my tackle box compartment, even if I don't re-use them and put them back with the others at the end of the fishing session, the un-used ones still show signs of rust beginning. Killer whiting hook tho !

Anyone found this also ?
I too have noticed the rusting issue. However, due to the versatility of the 1/0 KL on a range of species i'll keep going back to it.

:cheers:

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:48 pm

All hooks will rust if they are rubbing against each other in a salt water environment. I usually only keep a few hooks in a little zip lock bag in my tackle box and leave the rest at home untill i need them. the ones ive used i put in a little tub and give them a rinse at home with the gear if they are still in good nick.

Circle hooks are they way to go i reckon. especially kl 1/0s for whiting/flathead. just a slow lift as the rod loads up. hardly miss a fish.

This season i got a 48cm whiting at portland with a 5/0 owner circle with a piece of squid. It's all about the slow lift. Once i feel the weight or bite ill give the fish a foot or so by dropping the rod tip then slowly load the rod up. once you master it you will hook most fish that touch the bait

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:59 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:All hooks will rust if they are rubbing against each other in a salt water environment. I usually only keep a few hooks in a little zip lock bag in my tackle box and leave the rest at home untill i need them. the ones ive used i put in a little tub and give them a rinse at home with the gear if they are still in good nick.

Circle hooks are they way to go i reckon. especially kl 1/0s for whiting/flathead. just a slow lift as the rod loads up. hardly miss a fish.

This season i got a 48cm whiting at portland with a 5/0 owner circle with a piece of squid. It's all about the slow lift. Once i feel the weight or bite ill give the fish a foot or so by dropping the rod tip then slowly load the rod up. once you master it you will hook most fish that touch the bait
I disagree, it depends on the carbon vs stainless content of the hook, KL's are obviously very high carbon low stainless.
I have other hooks that I treat the same as KL's and don't have this problem, well not as bad and take much longer to show rusting.
Try this, take the KL's out of their plastic bag and put them into your tackle tray, then expose them to salt air for a handful of trips, you will see what I am describing, you don't have to use them either for it to happen.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:59 pm

I completely agree with you and have experienced it with kl circles. I was just saying that keeping them in a little zip lock bag helps keep them from rusting much longer. I don't really have the problem of rusting with owner hooks but i keep them the same way.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:18 pm

hornet wrote:I've had trouble with KL's rusting in my tackle box compartment, even if I don't re-use them and put them back with the others at the end of the fishing session, the un-used ones still show signs of rust beginning. Killer whiting hook tho !

Anyone found this also ?
Yep, I don't buy those ones anymore. I use size 6 Owner Mutu circles for whiting now, I can get a 50 pack on eBay for about $20 and they last several trips as long as the LJs don't bite them off.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:39 pm

Use virtually all circles. Gama occy circles for snaps and gummies, kl 7/0s for shark rigs, some eagle 11/0s for the same. Kl 1/0s and gama shiners for ting and the like..
Last edited by CarlG on Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:59 pm

The black magic rust like crazy but they hold a great point and are strong hooks. It bugs me that they rust but I just check they're still sharp and use them rusty. If I'm not being lazy I'll take them off my rig, rinse in fresh water, dry and then put them in a plastic jar with a good squirt of inox till next trip, I try to do this but often can't be bothered after a boat clean and a few cans.

Return to “Hooks, Line & Sinkers”