aldi braid

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: aldi braid

Post by purple5ive » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:55 pm

i have used it and have caught some decent fish on it, including all 19 of my soapies, so its pretty good stuff. you cant compare it to the better stuff available nowdays, but for $10 i would buy it anyday. i remeber i paid $30 for it about 4 years ago, and that was the cheapest available braid when it came out bar ebay stuff.

sandef
Has liked: 54 times

Post by sandef » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:06 pm

thx for the replies

banjo

Post by banjo » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:36 pm

Use the 8lb Aldi braid in the kayak on a 2000 size Abu reel and have hooked onto a lot of good fish with it. I also use this in the surf on a 4000 okuma avenger and have never lost a fish due to the braid. It is tough as and casts true and clean. The 12lb is good for snapper and smaller gummies but is quite ropey but it has never let me down.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:14 pm

I haven't used it personally myself but some of my friends have and I have only heard good things about it. Sounds like for the price you pay its not bad stuff :)

Bugalugs

Post by Bugalugs » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:25 pm

I know it's a late reply to this topic, but I've found I'm having a few tangle issues with the Aldi Braid - it seems when I'm winding it back on the reel, one of the "loops" doesn't sit tight on the spool and when I do the next cast, it pulls out several loops at once and tangles.
But perhaps that's more a technique issue, than a problem with the braid.
The other thing is that it's more "noisy" when under load - you can hear the strands of the braid running through the rod, more so than any other braid I've used.

Nightwish

Post by Nightwish » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:46 pm

Bugalugs wrote:I know it's a late reply to this topic, but I've found I'm having a few tangle issues with the Aldi Braid - it seems when I'm winding it back on the reel, one of the "loops" doesn't sit tight on the spool and when I do the next cast, it pulls out several loops at once and tangles.
The other thing is that it's more "noisy" when under load - you can hear the strands of the braid running through the rod, more so than any other braid I've used.
Being more noisy than other braids do you think it is doing any damage to the line guides?

Tackleberry
Has liked: 276 times

Post by Tackleberry » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:11 pm

Bugalugs wrote:I know it's a late reply to this topic, but I've found I'm having a few tangle issues with the Aldi Braid - it seems when I'm winding it back on the reel, one of the "loops" doesn't sit tight on the spool and when I do the next cast, it pulls out several loops at once and tangles.
can you get a pic , this sounds like the spool is over full .

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:54 pm

Some braids are affected worse than others but this sounds like user error. Either over spooled or winding in slack line.

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:55 pm

I have some I've used heaps of Aldi and has never let me down and still use it.
It has actually performed better than some of the other Braids I got from Rays and BCF.
Caught Sambo's off the surf, in the yak.
Caught Snapper on braid and gummies.
Sometimes I find any brand annoying as it can be too light weight "floats" so I sometimes go back to Mono especially if I'm in the yak just soaking baits.
Spinning I always use braid.
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:38 am

I haven't used the Aldi gear so can't comment on it. One thing I have found vital with all line but light braid in particular is to make sure you have no line twist. As the line builds up twists you will hear it through the guides much more and your incidence of wind knots and spool loops increases. Loose, twisted line can try and loop over the end of the rod and guides. I was having a lot of trouble after fishing a spinner that put a lot of twists in my line and then realised the issue and fixed it, my line problems went away. I went back and did the same to all my reals and found improvements.

The best braids I have used have been pricey (shimano ocea, egi Fire) but I found a Chinese supplier that I can buy 1km of 8ply braid from for $35 that I rate highly decent and use it on most reels; I've done plenty of testing with it too. I also started using daiwa 8x J braid and think it's great for the price, albeit much more expensive than the Chinese stuff but at least I don't wait 8 weeks for delivery!

I agree with the others here and think good,thin, supple mono still has a place in my kit for some types of fishing.

Return to “Hooks, Line & Sinkers”