Loop for paternoster rig.

Blue
Has liked: 35 times

Re: Loop for paternoster rig.

Post by Blue » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:17 pm

Agree with Wocca on the Surgeons Knot which is the one I use for Droppers. Advantage as I see it is the leader is a single strand mono, not a double as in the Dropper Loop which is fine for Flatties and such but can turn Whiting and Bream off.
Blue
To find a fish
You do the miles.
Catch the fish
and earn the smiles.

Lord,allow me to catch a fish, so large that even I,when speaking of it afterwards.........May have no need to lie !!!

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:10 pm

spit does wonders.....make sure it is wet when you tighten the loop

seephil
Has liked: 37 times

Post by seephil » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:10 pm

ducky wrote: The trick to tightening it full I've found is to do your wraps. Poke the loop through. Hold both ends of the line in your hands and hook the loop with your tongue. Draw it 3/4 of the way through the. Get the knot well wet with saliva before pulling it completely tight.
x2 except i use my teeth hold the loop while i tighten the knot. Another option is use a small S hook and attach it to a door or somewhere stable.

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:27 am

I don't use a paternoster rig often, but make sure its got plenty of spit before tightening.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:30 am

Rod Bender wrote:Hi peoples
Have had problems with my paternoster rigs...as in the loop pulls out and ends up with the hook being held in position on the mainline...with no loop! And the line (mono) is crimped/weakened whatever where it has been pulled through. I have a feeling it may occur if any force is exerted on the line...from below. This happens when the sinker gets snagged as opposed to the hooks. The loop I use is illustrated below. Very simple and I doubt if I am doing it wrong. Anyone else use this loop and have any problems. Or does anyone know of a better loop to tie. I'm not a fan of the twisted dropper loop as too me it may make the line more visible in its twisted form...just my thoughts. Always fishing in fresh water if it matters and usually light mono.
Thanks in advance.
Jim
I use to have that problem, until I started adding extra twists, cant recall how many maybe 6 full twists and since then no more problem with the loop pulling out.

russellh2
Has liked: 1 time

Post by russellh2 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:05 am

Trial Knot strength - At step 2, increase the number of twists one at time ( Diagram shows 2 only) - would start at 4 - Lubricate all line in knot before attempting to pull tight. I use this method on 4lb Maxima and have never had an issue (5 to 6 twists).

Fisho87

Post by Fisho87 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:20 pm

I use the same knot just an extra couple of wraps before I pull it through and it never slips

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:03 pm

ducky wrote:Been using that style of dropper for years for all my paternoster rigs (tagless dropper loop) I even snip the loop to get a single piece of line. Never had one let go on me.

The trick to tightening it full I've found is to do your wraps. Poke the loop through. Hold both ends of the line in your hands and hook the loop with your tongue. Draw it 3/4 of the way through the. Get the knot well wet with saliva before pulling it completely tight.
x2, never had an issue

Return to “Hooks, Line & Sinkers”