Reversing your braid

seephil
Has liked: 37 times

Reversing your braid

Post by seephil » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:48 pm

Since I can't head out for a fish for the next week or so as i got to stay home an nurse my pup(she got got speyed), i went through all my tackle and gave them a good clean and re lube ready for the next outing. Checked over all the rods and reels.
I've got a spool of braid that i've used for 2 seasons. Its still strong at knot tying, it hasn't frayed nor have i found the braid weakening. I got 6lb frog braid if you're wondering. The only downside at the moment is the colour has faded somewhat.

My question is,
1. How long do you normally use a spool of braid before replacing(i know it depends on how many times a week, fresh or salt...) it?
2. Has anyone tried to reverse the braid on a spool. As in respooling it the other way round?

Cheers,
Phil

Fishsniper

Re: Reversing your braid

Post by Fishsniper » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:51 pm

Depends on fishing as to how long long it lasts but I always reverse my braid after it starts to lose color and has been used extensively

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:08 pm

I got some Daiwa tournament braid n it discoloured after one outing so I wouldn't go off th colour fading.. But if it isn't frayed n ties with ease I wouldn't sweat over reversing it.
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:26 pm

seephil wrote:.......................................................The only downside at the moment is the colour has faded somewhat.

My question is,
1. How long do you normally use a spool of braid before replacing(i know it depends on how many times a week, fresh or salt...) it?
2. Has anyone tried to reverse the braid on a spool. As in respooling it the other way round?

Cheers,
Phil
If you are not happy with the visibility of the braid then 'reverse' it. If the visibility is not an issue, leave it for a while. I have Fins braid on a spin reel and 2 baitcasters. About 150 metres or less on each. As I only fish fresh, at times I may have no more than 50 metres out at a time and often no more than 20 metres. After about 4 years I reversed the braid on all reels and have no doubt that the line that gets cast out now would not have touched water in its previous 'reversed' life! :) Will get another couple years out of it unless I get sick of it! So worth reversing from my view!
cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

seephil
Has liked: 37 times

Post by seephil » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:48 pm

I thought that might be the case. I don't see a real need to change over to a new spool so soon. It was a passing comment when i sent in my reels for service with Shimano through a local retailer. The bloke mentioned i should get a new spool soon since its faded and used it for 2 years(average 1 salt session per fortnight give or take).

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:50 pm

I've never done it. Must admit faded colours don't really worry me and if the braid was weakining I would replace it not reverse it. A 2 year old 150 metre spool of braid will have lost quite a few metres. A hard running fish will expose the old braid pretty quickly.

That's my opinion. Maybe a bit wasteful but ah well.

cahoona
Has liked: 15 times

Post by cahoona » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:04 pm

get some scales and test the breaking strain if you are'nt happy what it breaks at reverse it i just reversed mine after 5 years

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:28 pm

ducky wrote:........... A hard running fish will expose the old braid pretty quickly.

.....................................................................................................
Good point! My comments only relevant for fresh water where I fish cos if a fish does take a lot of line...the fish will get around a snag before it exposes the crap line.
cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:13 pm

I have reversed line in the based by transferring the line to another reel. A bit of a pain and these days I wouldn't want old line in unknown condition anywhere on the spool.

Braid life is very dependent on the type and use. Some fused lines such as Fireline lasts for many many years where as stern micro fused doesn't last long. The non fused braids are super nice to use but they are very easily damaged and require regular replacement.

Booya

Post by Booya » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:34 am

If colour fades worries you, you can buy a varivas line maintanance from plat to renew the coating. just an even spray on the line, let it soak for abit then dry with paper towel.

Return to “Hooks, Line & Sinkers”