Bream/Trout outfit Braid options

Larksy88

Re: Bream/Trout outfit Braid options

Post by Larksy88 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:37 pm

the one thing i will add to this. If you have newer put braid on a reel before buy it from somewhere that can spool the reel for you. They will do it for free. Because is the braid is not on tight enough then you might have some dramas and it could get expensive fast

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:52 pm

Larksy88 wrote:the one thing i will add to this. If you have newer put braid on a reel before buy it from somewhere that can spool the reel for you. They will do it for free. Because is the braid is not on tight enough then you might have some dramas and it could get expensive fast
With braid I use a thick rubber garden glove, it goes on very tight and I haven't had any casting problems using this method..
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

tomota99

Post by tomota99 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:06 pm

Hey guys, sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the information and points of view, it all is a bit clearer now. As for now, I will be using some fireline exceed gifted to me the other day (may as well give it a go since it's cost me nothing!).. A hear it's a good beginner intro to the fused/braided world. I must say, the distance I can cast it and the thin diameter is astonishing. AS well as the effort required to tie any knots (slowly getting there). I figure I will explore different lines as I go to find the one that works for me.

Thanks, and in particular to Sloth & Mazman for the insight. Maybe I will bump into one of you guys one day along the nong, just look for the guy that looks really confused. I will update you guys when I finally catch something with a plastic.. lol, fingers crossed.

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Post by sloth » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:19 pm

I started off with fireline exceed too. See how you go. Sounds like you already know it's a fused line so more like dental floss than a real braid. Knots are a bit trickier with it and it's more wiry and has more memory. It should be fine on the Nong - you'll find its limitations trying to fish vertically with light lures like micro vibes as it will tend to coil and catch in the guides.

Knot wise keep it simple initially I reckon - double uni and uni knot will cover 95%

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:40 pm

sloth wrote:I started off with fireline exceed too. See how you go. Sounds like you already know it's a fused line so more like dental floss than a real braid. Knots are a bit trickier with it and it's more wiry and has more memory. It should be fine on the Nong - you'll find its limitations trying to fish vertically with light lures like micro vibes as it will tend to coil and catch in the guides.

Knot wise keep it simple initially I reckon - double uni and uni knot will cover 95%
yeah, simple knots are a good idea to begin with. Learn to do the basics well first then start expanding the number of knots you can tie after that.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Return to “Hooks, Line & Sinkers”