What type of hooks do you guys use?

Dano

What type of hooks do you guys use?

Post by Dano » Wed May 06, 2015 9:00 pm

Everyone seems to be using circles nowadays. Personally, I only use them when I'm out for a feed. Other than that, I like to use the standard suicide hooks where I can strike the fish.

Rod Bender

Re: What type of hooks do you guys use?

Post by Rod Bender » Wed May 06, 2015 9:04 pm

Dano wrote:Everyone seems to be using circles nowadays. Personally, I only use them when I'm out for a feed.............
I thought it would be the other way around...circles for c & r when it is better to hook them in the corner of the mouth? I use (freshwater) circles, including wide gape circles and bait holder hooks. Circles for me when I am fishing in 'under size cod infested waters'.
cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed May 06, 2015 9:12 pm

Circles for most things, in sizes from 1/0 to 5/0. I'm not fussy with the brand, Gamakatsu or Black Magic are my first choice or Mustad if I can't find the size I want in other brands. I'm thinking I'll get a bulk pack of 1/0 and 3/0 Owner Mutu circles at some stage as they have a pretty good rep.

I'll use very small longshanks if I'm trying to catch LJs on a line dropped straight off the edge of the pier, but having said that I've caught them on circles before too.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

seephil
Has liked: 37 times

Post by seephil » Wed May 06, 2015 9:14 pm

I mainly use circles as i generally have 2 rods out and its easier to de-hook most of the time. Used to use black magic, but I find they don't last very long, now using Gamas and never looked back.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Wed May 06, 2015 9:17 pm

Dano wrote:Everyone seems to be using circles nowadays. Personally, I only use them when I'm out for a feed.............
Rod Bender wrote: I thought it would be the other way around...circles for c & r when it is better to hook them in the corner of the mouth
cheers
Jim
This sort of hit the nail on the head but it's a bit of an open question as it does also depend on your target species and the time of the year
On the whole I use circles for most bait fishing species but quickly change to small long shanks if the are Garfish around
also early season snapper when there are not biting well it's straight on to a 3/0 - 4/0 snelled twin hook set up using normal J hooks
as the water warms 5/0 or 6/0 circles as they are on the chew properly again
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Wed May 06, 2015 9:23 pm

Suicides if I want to strike. Circles if I'm letting the fish take the bait.

Dano

Post by Dano » Wed May 06, 2015 9:26 pm

Rod Bender wrote:
I thought it would be the other way around...circles for c & r when it is better to hook them in the corner of the mouth? I use (freshwater) circles, including wide gape circles and bait holder hooks. Circles for me when I am fishing in 'under size cod infested waters'.
cheers
Jim
i find that with circles the hook up rate is much better. wouldnt want to lose a good meal because i striked at the wrong time when using different hooks.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Wed May 06, 2015 9:52 pm

Inline singles.....
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Wed May 06, 2015 10:02 pm

octopus suicide.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Wed May 06, 2015 10:11 pm

Mix of both j hooks and circles / shiners depending on season, species and how tentative the bite is.

Return to “Hooks, Line & Sinkers”