Leaders

slinga

Re: Leaders

Post by slinga » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:01 pm

CarlG wrote:
vinhii wrote:
CarlG wrote:Squiding, `cos the buggers can see better than just about anything swimming..
Any lure fishing I suppose..
Carl..

i read somewhere i cant remember but fish/squid are blind to pink/red line lol duno if its tru though but i do kno afew peeps wit pink/red line and theyve certainly caught way more fish/squid lol :P
Just because animals are colour blind, does`t mean they can`t see a coloured line. They`ll see it as a shade of grey..(hasn`t this topic been done here already..?)..
Carl..

Pink and red are the first two colours to disappear in water.
Linc- "slimeys are great fun to catch, like hooking a giant vibrator with a propeller onto the end of your rod! Well done"

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:21 pm

Yes red and pink are the first colours to disappear underwater, however pink and especially red can be a devastating colour to use on a lure at times.

The added complication is that some fish species like squid/ trout can see more into the ultraviolet spectrum than we can so colours will be different, Squid only see in black/white, trout I think see colour.

Andoki

Post by Andoki » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:07 pm

I use brown 8lb fluorocarbon on squid, trout, and bream and in all light fishing, and it is actually working very well with me

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:45 pm

i have never used fluorocarbon leaders and i was wondering is it worth getting i use mono on all my reels except two of my surf reals and vinhii i'm pretty sure red is invisible to deep sea fish because something to do with the wave lengths.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:46 pm

General Fluorocarbon leaders:
Non snaggy areas
Bream, gars, mullet - 4 - 6 pound

Surf Spinning (sometimes I use mono if I know the bottom is just sandy)
Salmon - 20 pound

Pier fishing
Flathead, trevally, pinkies, salmon - 10 - 20 pound

The above is just a rule of thumb, will generally move the weight up and down if I'm getting busted off etc

Knot
Use the improved albright and I super glue the knot, protects it from the guides and also pins the tail down on the knots.

Linc

Post by Linc » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:45 pm

I was recently diving with a mate while two others stayed in the boat and fished. One had flurocarbon leader and the other had mono and there was a clear difference in the visibility 14 meters beneath the surface, the mono was visible from a long distance whereas the flurocarbon disappeared a few meters away.

i was already hooked on the benefits of a flurocarbon leader and this only helped to confirm it for me.

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:59 am

Andoki wrote:I use brown 8lb fluorocarbon on squid, trout, and bream and in all light fishing, and it is actually working very well with me
I thought fluorocarbon was clear (not brown)?
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Tomcat1

Post by Tomcat1 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:12 am

ive seen pink flourocarbon but brown is a new one for me

Bartnmax

Post by Bartnmax » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:35 am

I can remember many years ago, snapper fishinbg in PPB, when leaders generally weren't used at all.
Most guys would simply run the main line all the way down to the hook with a running sinker above.
Many, many thousands of fish were caught using this type of rig, so do we really need leaders at all?

I believe we do.
There's far more pressure on fish these days with a much ;larger fishing population on the water during the seasons.
Anything that can give us that slight edge & produce a fish is worth considering, but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves here. before looking at whether we need leaders or not we need to know what they do.

Basically there's a number major functions of our leaders these days.

1. They give us protection from abrasion. That includes sharp teeth as well as coral, rocks, anchor ropes, and anthiung else that's likely to damage our line. yeah we can go the way of the old fellas & just use 24kg main line without a leader, but today's light lines offer fantastic sensitivity to bites, etc so why go backwards & use 25kg lines for fish weighing only 4-6kg (or less)? Far better to use the lighter lines with a leader to protect against abrasion.

If we start fishing for species such as Baracouta, Spanish Mackerel, etc we're not going to last long without that bit o' wire at the end.

2. Visibility. Yeah by now we all know that flurocarbon has pretty much the same refractive index as water so it's prety near invisible when in water. That's gpotta be an obvious advantage.

3. They allow us to make up more complex (read sometimes more succdessful) rigs & also to be able to store spoare rigs seperately. if you happen to get bitten off duing a hot bite you don't have to worry about sitting down to re-tie rigs. You just tied on a pre-prepared rig & get back into the action.

4. Shock absorbance.
In this modern era of brain main lines we need that shock absorbance more than ever. Despite what many people think braid does actuallys stretch due to the effect of the weave. The material might not stretch but that weave allows for around 7% compared to mono's stretch factor of anywhere from 10-30%
However, for all practical purposes we can accept that braid has very little stretch, that means the time when we have that fish at it's most vulnerable, it also has us at our most vulnerable. Mpore fish are lost next to the boat than when out wide. That's due to the very limited amount of shock absorbance if the fish happens to put in that one last 'swish' of it's tail.

Again when surf fishing we also need that shock absorbance to prevent break offs when casting with brain main lines.
Even with mono we can still suffer break offs if not using leaders.

So, there's plenty of reasons to think that leaders should be an intrical part of anyone's fishing rigs used today.
The old time fly fishermen of yester-year have long known of the requirment to use leaders & have led the way in that regard for more tan 50-70 years now.

Bill.

raco09
Has liked: 3 times

Post by raco09 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:22 am

slinga wrote:
CarlG wrote:
vinhii wrote:
CarlG wrote:Squiding, `cos the buggers can see better than just about anything swimming..
Any lure fishing I suppose..
Carl..

i read somewhere i cant remember but fish/squid are blind to pink/red line lol duno if its tru though but i do kno afew peeps wit pink/red line and theyve certainly caught way more fish/squid lol :P
Just because animals are colour blind, does`t mean they can`t see a coloured line. They`ll see it as a shade of grey..(hasn`t this topic been done here already..?)..
Carl..

Pink and red are the first two colours to disappear in water.

I have 15 lb ultima red ice on one of my reels and was wanting to put some leader on it. What pound leader should I put on? But then again after reading this should I bother? wacko
To fish or not to fish...NOT TO FISH ??Yea...like that's even an option !

Return to “Hooks, Line & Sinkers”