Dano

Re: Finally learning the FG

Post by Dano » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:32 pm

bimini twist to albright is another alternative to a slim

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:52 pm

That's another knot I used to tie. When I first started with braid I was shown a Bimini to duck nose. Knot. But I found by the time you've gone to the trouble of tying a Bimini prior to your joining you could've easily tied a much better knot that glides through the guides heaps better. I remember the clunking noise as it went through the guides. Horrendous. Biminis are great when using a catspaw to a wind on but outside of that I think it's massively over the top for any light tackle fishing.

Nb: don't take it that I'm being aggressive here. I trialled shite loads of knots before finding the fg. I truly believe it cannot be beaten for 99% of What Victoria will throw at you. The strongest and the slimmest knot combined into one.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:57 pm

Just copied and pasted this post I made elsewhere with a vid I made a little while ago. When I'm next rigging up I'll do my best to get another video that does it a bit slower. The below knot is tied in real time.

I tie the same knot. hold the rod between my legs rather than using something else. although a boat rod holder makes life a bit easier but you can do it standing up easily enough. Keeping pressure on the mainline by having a bend in the tip of your rod. I let leader sit on the floor and hand wrap it to get your tension. heres a vid I made a while ago. wraps are under/over just like yellow'svid and pulled tight every 4 wraps. keeps tension the whole way through the knot.

[youtube]vujH_zxYR6g[/youtube]

Return to “Hooks, Line & Sinkers”