#1 Snapper fishng line in PPB used to be mono in my time

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Re: #1 Snapper fishng line in PPB used to be mono in my time

Post by eddyt » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:01 pm

I use mono for fishing with spinners and trolling. Never use braid with spinners, it will twist and wind knots everywhere which are impossible to untangle.

It's also much cheaper and I did the test of putting mono and fluorocarbon in a fish tank and my 15lb mono looks about the same as my 12lb fluorocarbon, both just as invisible. You do need to get good mono though.

Bait wise land based the mono gives a little bit of stretch which absorbs the shock when you set the hook and when the fish decides to take an unexpected run and you have your drag on real tight. It also means when you're fishing snaggy areas you never have to tie on another leader when the fishing is really hot. Those times when fish are everywhere and there's no skill involved, but your leader gets busted off and you have to sit there tying one back on while everyone else is constantly pulling in fish around you... :oops:

But land based nowadays I find myself using braid more simply because it casts further and you feel everything. For those who have never tried braid you should really give it a go. I tested it on my dad who has only ever used mono and bait and now he doesn't want to go back. I also got him hooked on lures :-D

GTSHoon

Post by GTSHoon » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:48 pm

I now use braid on everything, love it! Never had a problem with twists yet (touchwood). Use it for bait, lures and anything else. I love the response you get through the line!
Cam
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing

rixter

Post by rixter » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:06 pm

Good write up TackleNut, that is exactly how I remember it was going back to around the early 80's when 'Yibbada Yibbada Rex Hunt' was the fishing guru of ppb. Brings back good old memories.

I still prefer mono for 99% of my fishing, as others mentioned, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I did find braid pretty good though for HB lures and SP's, as it made it a lot easier to see the bite on the line during a pause while working the lures. I could also see braid coming in handy deep sea fishing using it for the main line, as to be able to fit more line on the spool for those big runs.

Whatever you prefer is up to you ;) .

Cheers , Rick.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:17 pm

Horses for courses. Mono for snaps and gummies on the boat, braid for everything else..

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:05 pm

I only use mono for snapper now.

Braid for live baiting for bigger fish

Trolling for trout, cod and yellowbelly braid is the only way to go imo.

bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:09 pm

I use a mix of braid or mono depending on the style and fish I'm targeting..
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:02 pm

Im almost 100% braid, but looking at going back to mono for bait soaking in PPB. Aside from squidding and luring, where the no stretch side of braid is almost necessary imo. I must say, braid tangles are a nightmare and in PPB when there is no current they seem to happen all the time

TackleNut

Post by TackleNut » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:50 am

blacklab99 wrote:definitely a mono man thru and thru...................
around 6kg, I do have some gear with braid, but its interesting when I recently headed north to target kingies and I was told that I wouldn't have any success jigging unless I used braid !!!! coming from n.z where the kingies are as prolific as snapper in season out in the bay, even my explanation and my past experiences, 20 odd years chasing kings back home, biggest was a tad under 70 odd pound, the response was still " youll never successfully catch em on mono as you will on braid "
I have nothing against braid, it has its advantages, but if it aint broke, no need to fix it.
new technology will always come to us, and braid is one of them, for me, it just doesn't feel right, for a lot, that's all they've fished with.
good and bad with everything i guess.......

col
Hi Col
Matey some people will never accept the fact that braid does have it's limitations and there are a few of those limitations.
Just look at the fact that you caught a 70+lb kingie on mono, can you imagine the size of what you might have caught if you were using braid ? Would have to be 100+lb in some peoples minds :doh1:

While it's true that braid in a lot of situations can improve our fishing experiance, a heavy reliance on braid can be the downfall of many fishing trips.
Lets take it to 2 extremes, Still today lots of flats fishing with lures can and is done with small lb's mono for fussy fish
and on the other side I don't know of any marlin boats using braid as the 1st thing that would happen would be the rod would be pulled out of the arms or arms out of the shoulder sockets. How can anyone expect to catch a 400kg+ fish that pull like a train on a line with no stretch ?
I could go on and on about what's good about mono and why sometimes it's prefered over braid and at the same time I could make the same argument for braid over mono and I have many times over the years.
But what would I know, I have only been using braid myself for over 20 years ever since the 1st Spiderwire hit the market.
good and bad with everything, yoiur so right about that.

cheers
TN

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Post by sloth » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:43 am

TackleNut wrote:
Still today lots of flats fishing with lures can and is done with small lb's mono for fussy fish
This surprises me ... What species are you thinking of - or do you just mean generally?

I target (fussy) bream 99% of the time and no one really ever mentions mono. For what you described - crystal clear water, flats and spooky fish most are fishing 2lb or 3lb fluorocarbon straight through on ultralight rods.

The only time I've heard mono mentioned is for topwater lures where some people use mono as it floats and fc doesn't. I don't think its done a lot though. It obviously has it's place but certainly in the bream scene braid and fluorocarbon dominate.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:46 am

I still use mono but 95% of my fishing is done with braid. The stretch of mono is handy when fishing in the shallows for KGW, bream and squid fishing when you are using a fast action a spin stick.

Stiffer fused braids work well for unweighted baits in PPB but I would suggest looking at other more effective fishing methods.

BTW overseas game fishing is moving to use braid for almost all applications. I also use braid on my 37kg marlin outfits with a mono top shot and it is without question better than straight mono.

Return to “Hooks, Line & Sinkers”