#1 Snapper fishng line in PPB used to be mono in my time

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Re: #1 Snapper fishng line in PPB used to be mono in my time

Post by blacklab99 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:58 pm

hi tackle nut,
im probably the same as you, started out with mono, but got left behind with modern updates !!
as fishing has evolved, so have our tecniques and the way we fish. Its all good, whether it be braid or mono each has its advantages.
frozen pod, actually the move is all back to mono for game fishing overseas ! most are going back to hollow core backing or Dacron, with larger top shots, up to 200 meters and moving totally away from braid, many have realised, that nothing beats the " stretch- ability " "abrasion resistance" that mono brings, there getting better landing/tag rates if long "top shots" are used, which effectively means your fishing with mono, with 200 mtrs out. Im on the committee of a game club here in Victoria, and I would say without doubt 80 % fish only mono, albeit with a backing to fill the line, The advancement of mono lines in recent years has answered the call, with ratings and abrasion resistance and transluciency, infact youde be hard pressed to find game charterers that fish exclusively braid and top shot anymore, far too many accidents with it !
The amount of times ive been out with guys using braid and only a top shot of either shock and/or leader in mono where they have had break offs or lost the fish due to braid, I couldn't count !
I actually had to laugh, recently, I was told it was impossible to tie a strong bimini twist with nylon as it would always slip or burn the line and make it prone to snap off's, when I replied that the bimini twist was designed for and used for decades with mono before braid was on the scene, they wouldn't accept it, replying that the bimini twist was soley for braid !!!!
again, its all down to personal prefferences, each has its advantages, im only learning about braid, but I know where its simply not good for the situation !
Ive even got a ban on braid on my boat, fishing ppb for snapper now, last season, mate wrapped his rig around my prop, with 15-20 knot winds and 1.5 meter swells, as we were about to call it a day, well, 3/4 of an hour at 7 in the morning, with conditions deteriorating, spent over the back of my boat cutting the cr@@ off !!! geez it was a shocker ! :angryfire:
BUT, as I said, its what ever floats your boat ! there's no right or wrong or hard and fast rule, you use what ever your comfortable with using, or what ever brings you a better catch rate ! just not in my boat chasing snapper in ppb :lol:
cheers
col

TackleNut

Post by TackleNut » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:45 pm

sloth wrote:
TackleNut wrote:
Still today lots of flats fishing with lures can and is done with small lb's mono for fussy fish
This surprises me ... What species are you thinking of - or do you just mean generally?

I target (fussy) bream 99% of the time and no one really ever mentions mono. For what you described - crystal clear water, flats and spooky fish most are fishing 2lb or 3lb fluorocarbon straight through on ultralight rods.

The only time I've heard mono mentioned is for topwater lures where some people use mono as it floats and fc doesn't. I don't think its done a lot though. It obviously has it's place but certainly in the bream scene braid and fluorocarbon dominate.
HI Sloth,

Flats fishing for Bream with mono does need a fluoro leader depending on which colour line your using but sme of the time you can connect straight to the lure, with straight braid you have no chance on spooky bream as the braid colours are solid. Fisho's like Kaj Bushy have gone back to using mono more these days. You will even see video's of him telling people that he has changed back to 2-4lb mono and his catch rate has increased.
Mono production have been cut by 75%, but just like braid there has been new developments in how it is made and the transluciency has increased greatly and the problem of using mono on spinning reels ( line twist ) is being addressed ever new model.
For many fisho's the price is right too, but don't get me wrong about braid as I ( well if ever get out again ) use it a lot. Many years ago when the price of the braids was much dearer, I put over 1200 yards of 20lb braid on my beach outfit, which was used for gummy/7 giller/bronzy fishing. A couple of those buggers peeled off 400 yards at a time with no effort. Yes I had a 20yd long mono leader ( some would call it shock leader ) so that the fish could do a number of body wraps around the line and not cut off my braid. As we know sharks skin isn't smooth but rough like sand paper.
If I used a solid set drag all that would be done is the outfits would be pulled in as I certainly couldn't hold onto a outfit set at 18kg on the beach or in the back of a boat. If it wasn't for long mono leader stretching I am sure I would have lost more gear.
Again I could go on and on about it, in the end it's horses for courses and what your comfortable with.
We all have our opinions and good on you for sticking with yours, but please don't stick with it blindly and blinkers on as some do to their detrement.
Cheers
TN

TackleNut

Post by TackleNut » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:58 pm

Hi blacklab99"
Ive even got a ban on braid on my boat, fishing ppb for snapper now, last season, mate wrapped his rig around my prop, with 15-20 knot winds and 1.5 meter swells, as we were about to call it a day, well, 3/4 of an hour at 7 in the morning, with conditions deteriorating, spent over the back of my boat cutting the cr@@ off !!! geez it was a shocker !
Yes I have been there myself a couple of times, damn crap getting in behind the prop and cutting the prop shaft seal to hell and leaking oil everywhere and water getting into the gearbox. One day I had to get into the water to take the prop off so that I could take all the braid out that was unbalancing the prop badly. Lucky enough it was late October and snapper season, water was getting warm. Still was a pain to do, strip down and wear a life jacket connected to the boat by rope. Should have sent in the buggers whos line it was, but too much of a newbie.
Lucky the water that day was calm as I certainly couldn't do it on a rough and tumble day like you described.

cheers
TN

Bartnmax

Post by Bartnmax » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:34 pm

My 31 pick for PPB snapper is 8kg Berkley Tournement mono in blue colour.
Ticks all the boxes.
For the southern reaches of PPB & westernport where I use larger lumps of lead I usually go 30lb braid.
Also use the same 30lb outfits for gummys.

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Post by sloth » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:16 am

Hi TN,

No blinkers here - if anything I experiment a little too much with gear and technique.

I hadn't even thought you could have meant use mono as the mainline to an fc leader - I assumed you meant mono as the leader or straight through. I agree no one in their right mind would go braid straight through ;)

Mono has a bit more stretch than fc so I can see potentially it being more forgiving for use for crankbaiting/hardbodies, especially modern copolymer lines, however I still think the rod goes a long way for making up for the lack of stretch with fc.

I have a little 1000 reel spooled with cheap braid backing that I use to evaluate lines I'm considering running straight through. I run a top shot of the line I'm looking at. Allows me to evaluate changes in my catch rate for different line breaking strains without having to do a full spool up. I have some 6lb mono in the shed so I'll give it a run and see how it goes in terms of changes to hookups and landed fish. I can also try adding an fc leader to the mono top shot.

Do you know how current that info from Kaj Busch is? I know he talked about it a decade ago but haven't seen anything recently on his thoughts on mono for bream.

I'm genuinely interested as well and open-minded rather than arguing one way or the other. I'm on another forum that is bream specific with many members active on the ABT and too be honest never hear mono mentioned much at all. Now they can be secret squirrels at times so it not being mentioned can mean either no one does it or everyone does it but no ones saying :)

End of the day I'll test most ideas out and anything that ups the catch rate or quality gets a tick irrespective of what the mainstream view is.

Cheers,
Dave

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:35 am

sloth wrote: I agree no one in their right mind would go braid straight through ;)
You would be surprised.

PS often the fish don't care.

sloth

#1 Snapper fishng line in PPB used to be mono in my time

Post by sloth » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:53 am

frozenpod wrote:
sloth wrote: I agree no one in their right mind would go braid straight through ;)
You would be surprised.

PS often the fish don't care.
Big bream would care 95% of the time .... The other 5% you're fishing a spawning aggregation and they'll hit anything - hardly sporting though.

You might get a careless juvenile by going braid straight through but I doubt very much a big blue lipper is going to take such a clumsy presentation.

It's fishing though - anything can happen. In terms of percentages though fishing lures to bream on braid without a leader is a low percentage game.

If you want to really surprise me I'd love to see a pic of a black bream 35+ forker caught on straight through braid :)

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:24 am

"You would be surprised" was intended as how many people I have seen fishing with straight braid.

I don't (I have done so on occasion if I have run out of leader) but I have seen other fishing people catch good fish with straight braid.

There are some low vis braids available but I rather have a shock leader of mono or FC.
Last edited by frozenpod on Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

sloth

Post by sloth » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:52 am

Ahh I see what you're saying now :)

Cheers

TackleNut

Post by TackleNut » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:37 pm

Hi all
frozenpod, There are some low vis braids available
I and many others get quite a chuckle at hearing about low viz braids. If they colour a braid basically moss green then they call it low viz, and of course there are the other braids that come white / crystal that they also call low viz. Put that into a couple of feet of water and the white stands out big time.
Low viz colour have been around since the inception of braid.
These so called low viz braids will never be low viz as braid has no translucency, its just a solid colour ( until the colours fade it and it becomes white) a number of top breamers that I know now use a moss green or crystal with a longish leader as they found their hit rate dropping with the real stand out colours such as Orange.

Yet of course what has been the rage for a few years has been Orange braid as Line Systems Frog Braid came out in Orange and then everyone wanted Orange Braid.
If you didn't use Orange braid a lot of fisho's considered you a newby
Why ?
More of peer pressure, he and she uses it so it must be good. Don't get me wrong, Frog Braid is one of the top braids around but just because it was orange for awhile anyone that spooled up with orange braid was thought to be using the Frog braid. Not many fisho's bothered to find out that the Orange was copied by many others and ate into Frog sales.
Damn those companies that just copy others and don't innovate themselves.

What about fluorocarbon line ? I have it in Clear, which is supposed to just match the colour of the water.
Also have some Yozuri fluoro in pink, and other big name brands in Lightly Stained Brown for inland fishing and another that is Lightly Stained Green for estuary. Amazing the line technologies these days.

cheers
TN

Return to “Hooks, Line & Sinkers”