tackle management

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Re: tackle management

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:47 pm

ben475 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:31 pm
I really have a lot of stuff which makes it harder to organise
This is probably your biggest problem.. i know it was mine!

In the end i ditched all that old stuff that i have carried around and never used such as a million different sized hooks that came with tackle boxes etc etc.

Now i have a much more streamlined system where i only take the stuff i need for the fish i target 99% of the time. (snapper/gummy, flathead/whiting & squid). And even then i only take what i will need for the day eg: 5 or 10 of each type of hook that i want rather than a packet of 50 of each. Everything else gets left at home in a larger tackle box. This way i am only carrying a couple of smaller tackle trays and a small bag, which all slots neatly into the side pockets or besides the drivers seat.

As you say, you can always count on your mates the bring a bunch of crap that only gets in the way so it really does help if you can start with an uncluttered boat.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:41 pm

I've made up bags for the different targets I fish for with all the gear I'll for that trip. It did mean doubling up on a bunch of stuff like pliers, knives and snips but I went with the cheap Jarvis Walker stuff for that so it didn't set me back much. The advantage is that I can just grab my surf spinning rod and my salmon bag and know that it's got spare leader, knife, pliers, lures, snips, snap swivels and a salmon rope so I don't need to run around finding stuff.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

saph
Has liked: 4 times

Post by saph » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:50 pm

Unlike most posts so far i find simple is easy i just use a single tackle tray and it covers bait, lure and squid with most if not all species covered that you can catch on some simple 15 pound main/10 pound leader and it all fits in a old school backpack with my laptop.

The tackle tray and knife is all i need to fish on a basic level with a rod but i like to carry all the little extras that make :water: nicer. When going on a longer trip away from shops i have the camo bag up top with a water bladder and surpisingly it can handle all the stuff.

repspec
Has liked: 11 times

Post by repspec » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:24 am

Working around boats everyday, i see lots of different set ups people have.

Best thing to try, take everything out of the boat and lay it out on the floor and then go through it. Then see what you need or dont need, then try organise it.

Sebb
Has liked: 3008 times

Post by Sebb » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:30 am

My dream is to have a room/garage with setup like a tackle store.
Then just take what's needed for the trip. Put them back after the trip.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:49 am

Buy a bag. Buy a crate, make a rack, whatever. Buy a dymo label maker. Place rack/crate/whatever at home. Buy as many 3700 sized tackle trays as you need for the species you fish for. Print a label for each species. Place a label on each 3700 sized tray. Fill each tray with all tackle you use for the species the tray is labelled for. Place now filled trays into crate/rack/whatever at home. When going fishing grab your bag. Load 1-4 or however many trays you need for your days targets into said bag. Done. Rinse repeat for every different fishing trip. Pliers, knives, leaders (you'll only need up to 6 slim spools of different leaders) are all multifunction and live permanently within the bag.

You never forget anything then. If running low or out of something you don't have to search what it is. You don't take 10kg of **** out that you don't need and it's **** easy to stash away at home without making a mess everywhere and losing ****

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:11 am

I used to take a big tackle box out. Full of bits and pieces for the "just in case" scenario. Reality is, the just in case rarely every happens.

Now I just do what others suggested.... small tackle trays setup with the terminal tackle I need for that species. Along with that I'll include a couple of items that might be needed if something else pops up.

I.e when I am fishing for whiting I'll take a 100mm x 100mm tray with hooks, beads, swivels etc (all for whiting). On the boat I have some metal slugs in case some salmon or bait fish pop up and squid jigs in case we have a go at them. Sinkers are all in the boat (in a seperate tackle tray) as I don't like mixing them in with the other gear as they start to rust after being used.

Most of all night before I'll make sure all rods are rigged and I have some backup rigs pre tied in sandwich lock bags so I can spend less time rigging and more time fishing.

Same system goes for snapper, gummies etc.

The less crap on the boat the better.

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:19 pm

yepi'mon wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:11 am
The less crap on the boat the better.
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

I couldnt agree more.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Return to “Hooks, Line & Sinkers”