What about this Rod Reel combo

kiwiinmelbourne

What about this Rod Reel combo

Post by kiwiinmelbourne » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:38 pm

Hi all,

I'm a very inexperienced fisherman and was hoping for some help please.
I do a fair bit of hunting and am always coming across excellent waterways with lovely fat trout looking up at me so I've decided to have a crack at them.
Hunting with a 7ft rod in the pack doesn't work so I've gone for a 6ft6" shimano telescopic rod with a Rovex crosa 8000 spinning reel. This should fit nicely into my pack.

What type of line should I go for? (the choices are endless. Are they all the same)
Should I stick to spinning lures or look at floating a fly? How do I set this up?
I noticed some coloured fishing lines advertised, don't fish see these?

Any constructive help is most welcome

Thanks in advance,
Grant

JohnBuoy

Re: What about this Rod Reel combo

Post by JohnBuoy » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:02 am

Had a look at the specks of the rod and reel. personally i think the rod may be too heavy (3-4kg line class, a 1-3kg would probably suit better) also i think the reel my be overkill, a 2000 size reel would suffice for freshwater.

In answer to your question about the coloured line that all depends on the material it is made from.
Monofiliment line is almost invisiable in water and the colour is only used to give the angler a cleared visual reference as to where his/her line is above the waterline.
Braid on the other hand is extremely visable under water.
My advise would be to get a 2000ish size reel, load it with 6 - 8 lb braid in natural colour and then add 1 1/2 to 2 full rod lengths of Flurocarbon leader in the same poundage as the main line.
Flurocarbon leader has a refractive index closer to that of water, this means that it is virtually invisable to sealife. the leader material will also act as a shock absorber for when a lure or bait is taken.

Hope this helps.

To all the more experianced out there if any of the above infor is incorrect or misleading please feel free to correct as i myslef am still learning the ins and outs of Rods, Reels and lines and am only passing on the information i myself have been given.

Cheers
John

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:42 am

kiwiinmelbourne wrote:Hunting with a 7ft rod in the pack doesn't work so I've gone for a 6ft6" shimano telescopic rod with a Rovex crosa 8000 spinning reel. This should fit nicely into my pack.Grant
If you haven't already purchased this outfit, I would follow the suggestion above. As for line, 99% of people use braid. I am the 1% that still use mono! Honestly, I wouldn't like to recommend either as there are a lot of things in favour of braid. I just don't like the visibility of it, even with a leader. Also, where I fish I have no doubt the line will be dragged around rocks at times during retrieval and I do not think braid would cope with this. People catch good fish on braid so maybe it is just me. If you decide to go with mono I would recommend Maxima Ultragreen (6lb). Stick with spinners as well.
thanks
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Bartnmax

Post by Bartnmax » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:21 pm

kiwiinmelbourne wrote:Hi all,

I'm a very inexperienced fisherman and was hoping for some help please.
I do a fair bit of hunting and am always coming across excellent waterways with lovely fat trout looking up at me so I've decided to have a crack at them.
Hunting with a 7ft rod in the pack doesn't work so I've gone for a 6ft6" shimano telescopic rod with a Rovex crosa 8000 spinning reel. This should fit nicely into my pack.

What type of line should I go for? (the choices are endless. Are they all the same)
Should I stick to spinning lures or look at floating a fly? How do I set this up?
I noticed some coloured fishing lines advertised, don't fish see these?

Any constructive help is most welcome

Thanks in advance,
Grant
Hey Grant. I may be able to help out a bit here.
I do a fair bit of deer hunting in the Vic high country so I'm obviously also in prime trout fishing areas at the same time.
I use an Okuma X-Factor 4 piece takedown 1-3kg rod & 1000 Daiwa reel spooled with 4lb line.
I've found this to be an excellent travel outfit for those times when I'm chasing Sambar & have a bit of spare time on my plate. Combined with a couple of spiiners & a small selection of hooks, etc I've found it's not only very easy to cart around (even when backpacking into the backwoods on extended trips) but it's a lovely outfit to use & a delight to catch a nice trout on.
The X-Factor rod retails for roughly $80 & comes in a nice hard case so it's well protected during travel.
Having used both the X-Factor rod & several telescopic rods from various manufacturers (including Shimano) it's my opinion that the take down has a very much better action than the telescopic rods. No comparion IMO.

Regards line, I use 4lb braid with 4lb fluro leader, but mono is also fine.
You could certainly up the line weight to 6lb or even 8lb if you want to.
I just like the 4 pound stuff as I think it works better with the 1-3kg stick, although 6lb would also work very well, & it suits the smaller fish I see in the areas I tend to hunt. Just make sure that if you're using braid it's a fairly neutral colour. The brighter colours are best to steer away from when fishing that clear, shallow mountain water.
4lb is still capable of landing some farly decent trout

Hope this helps a bit.

Bill.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”