rods and reel combos

strop65

rods and reel combos

Post by strop65 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:20 am

Gday guys first time here so bear with a bloke going through his mid life crisis who was an occassional fisho but now taking it fullon. lots of questions to ask cause i've got lots to learn.Firstly i"m from the grampians area and do most of my fishing in surrounding lakes fyans bolac rocklands lonsdale with the odd trip down to nelson.Try to use fairly light gear on the trout and reddies cause i reckon its more fun.Haven't tackled the deep blue yet cause previous experience tells me my stomach dont like it.Anyway amongst all the fishing gear i was given over xmas i got a shimano baitrunner st 4000fa reel just wondering what rod would match best and what application and species would i chase.THanks

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Re: rods and reel combos

Post by Fish-cador » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:17 pm

Bait runners are suited for soaking baits......4000 size - a bit big for trout but should be OK for cod, yella and other big things out there. I have 4000 reels and I matched them with 3-7 kg rod. Rod length depends the location where I will fish. I have 6, 7 and 8ft rods for snapper.

I also use my 4000 spin reels on my surf rods targeting the lowly sambos. I use it for spinning using 8 or 9ft spin rods
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Bartnmax

Re: rods and reel combos

Post by Bartnmax » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:31 am

strop65 wrote:Gday guys first time here so bear with a bloke going through his mid life crisis who was an occassional fisho but now taking it fullon. lots of questions to ask cause i've got lots to learn.Firstly i"m from the grampians area and do most of my fishing in surrounding lakes fyans bolac rocklands lonsdale with the odd trip down to nelson.Try to use fairly light gear on the trout and reddies cause i reckon its more fun.Haven't tackled the deep blue yet cause previous experience tells me my stomach dont like it.Anyway amongst all the fishing gear i was given over xmas i got a shimano baitrunner st 4000fa reel just wondering what rod would match best and what application and species would i chase.THanks
Baitrunner are actually designed for fishing with livebaits. You can put a liveie on the e nd & allow it to swim freely about without having to leave the bail arm open & without the fear of having a big fish rip line off with disasterous 'birds nest' results. They are great for fish such as kingfish, etc.
They can also be fished just as a normal spin reel without using the baitrunner function, so they are pretty versatile.

The 4000 would suit a rod of aroiund 4-10kg rating. Something such as a 3-6kg, 4-8kg, or 6-10kg rod.
My own prferenece would be to match it to a stick of about 4-8kg & spool it with 7-8kg line.

They are great for a diverse range of salt water fishing situations but if you're not into salt water fishing they can also be used as a good cod/yellerbelly reel.

Bill.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”