Servicing a reel

foggybottom

Servicing a reel

Post by foggybottom » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:34 pm

G'day,

On a recent trip I nearly lost a rod and reel to a bigger than average wave, no big deal, I caught them before they washed away, but I filled the reel with seawater and sand. I've got it all pretty much clean, but was hoping someone would be able to recommend me a good lube/grease to use when putting it all back together.

It's my first time stripping a reel down and cleaning it, it's all been pretty straightforward so far, so hoping I can get it all back together this weekend and get her back in action.

Cheers,
FB

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Re: Servicing a reel

Post by poodoo » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:40 pm

This is what i use when i tune my reels every 6 months if they have been heavily used:

http://www.inoxmx.com/inox/mx6-food-grade-grease/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

foggybottom

Post by foggybottom » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:43 pm

oh thats an idea, I might have some teflon grease at work, we use it for our vacuum pumps.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:59 pm

Quicksilver (mercury marine) 2-4-C. Tiny smear over all the gears, give it a wind, clean any grease that's splattered, put back together and get over the slight heavier feeling when winding. Also the bearings if there's any will need a clean, or replace especially with sand involved

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:40 pm

i use marine grease
the same stuff i use on the bearings for the trailer

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:31 am

I don't grease my reels at all. Use. Wash. Put away. All my reels are still going strong. Occasionally I'll oil the line roller bearing.

I reckon I'd cause more damage to the reel by tearing it down to service it then the damaged cause by not servicing it. One day I'll have a crack at changing all my drags over to carbontex or whatever it's called.

Any major damage and ill send it away for repair/service though. I think the going rate is around $30 per reel?

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:01 am

poodoo wrote:This is what i use when i tune my reels every 6 months if they have been heavily used:

http://www.inoxmx.com/inox/mx6-food-grade-grease/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I use the same and have found it realy good my reels get wet and dunked quite a bit as they are being used on a kayak
cheaterparts wrote:I just fixed one of my high grade $13 Melaluka Ebay cheapies and was happy that the grease I have used ( Inox ) has kept the rust away - a spring had come off the anti reverse bearing

as any one that has bought Ebay cheapies will know that the stainless parts are only stainless till you go near water
so after buying a couple of these 3000 series reels I pulled them apart cleaned them and greased them with the Inox grease
around the one way bearing and small springs I smeered a film of the grease over every thing

that included the drag washers under the drag nut where they always rust

I've been using these melaluka reels for near on 12 months ( I looked up when I bought them ) 21/4/11 and they get used almost every w/e and have caught everything from squid to snapper and gummies

anyway this is not a report on the melaluka reels - we all know they are cheap Ebay stuff

but the grease has done what it says on the packet - Highly Resistant To Water , Salt ,Chemicals and Drying

when the bail carrier was removed everything under it was still rust free - the grease was still soft and doing it job

the product does what it says and is worth using if anyone services there own reels
the above quote was posted on Vyak on the 18/4/2012 and the reels are still going - they have not been serviced after the first clean and lube before use even the line rollers are still going fine

this is not a report on the reels as we all know cheap Ebay reels do rust up bearing and one way clutchs pretty fast when in salt water , this shows that the Inox Mx6 works a treat

hope it is some help
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Bartnmax

Post by Bartnmax » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:25 pm

When cleaning I use white spirit. Oil - quantum hot sauce. Brg grease - castrol APXT, & Drags - either Cals grease or Shimano drag grease.
I also like either Pakula's silicon reel spray or CRC tackle guard for general lube/potection.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”