FishSamFish

Re: Shimano catana 732 snapper sp?

Post by FishSamFish » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:40 pm

Rogue_Hunter wrote:
FishSamFish wrote:
Rogue_Hunter wrote:
FishSamFish wrote:
Rogue_Hunter wrote:6-8kg?!

What are you flicking around, real plastic moulds of fish?!

If you want to flick around plastic, your going to need a lighter rod ... something in the 2-4kg, 3-5kg range.

Generally the lighter the rod, the better the flicking action. The heavier the rod, the stiffer the rod will be.

not quiet true, I have a 6-12kg plastics rod, it's graphite so its really light, its a v.fast action, it's fine for casting 1/16oz heads
I dont doubt that there are some rods out there in that weight class that you can use; it all depends on the material

Was your combo under $100?
my combo was eh $500
:thumbsup:

Had a feeling. A sub $100 combo 6-8kg rod might not be geared towards high action.

To the op, I would goto the store and handle both the 6-8kg and a 2-4kg rod and see which feels like you can flick a light jigg head for a couple hours.

Good Luck
that being said, I was casting 5g lures on a 12kg tcurve with the stella and 50lb line today, without massive loss of distance :roflmao:

fyah_fish

Post by fyah_fish » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:54 pm

its a graphite rod and from what i remember really light...... for that price ill grab it and have a crack with it.... ill let you know how it goes after. but yeah i just didnt know if it would be any good for bait fishing

but yeah i will be defenitly having a look at the lighter gear

TackleNut

Post by TackleNut » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:09 am

fyah_fish wrote:its a graphite rod and from what i remember really light...... for that price ill grab it and have a crack with it.... ill let you know how it goes after. but yeah i just didnt know if it would be any good for bait fishing

fyan_fish, I have a number of Shimano 732 - 6 to 8kg rods, made for chasing reds with plastics but will also be an excellent bait rod when my arm gets tired. Go and buy it and get it over with. For the price you just can' go wrong no matter what your using them for.
They are not the same as the rod in the 2-4 or 3-5kg class with 2500 size reels, thats becasue they are a different beast and beside throwing lures will out gun the 2-4kg rods anyday when it comes time to slug it out.

cheers
tacklenut

fyah_fish

Post by fyah_fish » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:04 pm

TackleNut wrote:
fyah_fish wrote:its a graphite rod and from what i remember really light...... for that price ill grab it and have a crack with it.... ill let you know how it goes after. but yeah i just didnt know if it would be any good for bait fishing

fyan_fish, I have a number of Shimano 732 - 6 to 8kg rods, made for chasing reds with plastics but will also be an excellent bait rod when my arm gets tired. Go and buy it and get it over with. For the price you just can' go wrong no matter what your using them for.
They are not the same as the rod in the 2-4 or 3-5kg class with 2500 size reels, thats becasue they are a different beast and beside throwing lures will out gun the 2-4kg rods anyday when it comes time to slug it out.

cheers
tacklenut
There we go...... Positive feed back from someone using this rod. Well I picked it just after work today..... Hopefully I can get out over the weekend and test it out. Cheers :thumbsup:

Fishsniper

Post by Fishsniper » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:27 pm

I have the very same rod and I use it for bait fishing and for casting plastics but only for chasing snapper, if you want to use it for say whiting, flathead or bream or trout etc. then you will need a 2 - 4 kg rod with a smaller reel

Rogue_Hunter

Post by Rogue_Hunter » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:07 pm

fyah_fish wrote:
TackleNut wrote:

cheers
tacklenut
There we go...... Positive feed back from someone using this rod. Well I picked it just after work today..... Hopefully I can get out over the weekend and test it out. Cheers :thumbsup:
Its not about Positive feedback. I was trying to work out what you were going to use it for and try to assit in making sure you will get the right rod for the right job.

Have fun with the new rod, and looking forward to your report! Good Luck!

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”