Thoughts on squid/egi rods.

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Re: Thoughts on squid/egi rods.

Post by Brett » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:35 pm

Check this post, for a run down on my outfit
http://www.fishing-victoria.com/viewtop ... 2586#p2586

I still say Paul, (ecofreak) is the man to talk to about gear, or if you can get down to Fishing Fever in Mordy and have a chat to Lee, Morne and the boys.

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:05 pm

DonVito wrote: LOL shazdogg! You sound like you work at a tackle shop.

I hate to disagree with you, but I WONT need an egi rod, egi braid, egi fluoro line to catch squid and finally, nor will I need a squid brush. I have caught squid before on a Diawa Saltwater rod (not an egi rod), suffix braid (not egi braid) and a black magic flurocarbon line (not egi flouro line).

You were probably correct in saying I should have ignored the posted above. [Not having a dig at you mate]
My first paragraph in the above post was a friendly dig at dedicated egi fishos with all the fancy shmancy gear. The second paragraph was my own personal experience. Its interesting that you said youve caught squid on a regular rod with regular braid and fluorocarbon because MANY ppl use a similar set up. By all means if you really want to get a dedicated squid outfit and have a new toy, GET IT, but dont think that because you have the latest and greatest egi combo(plus paraphernalia) that squid will start committing mass suicide on your jig cos thats very unlikely to happen.
Brett wrote:bahahaha you have seen my setup lol I think it was around the $400, then add jigs. I know some people that have spent this much and more on a rod alone :-|

I generally fish for either squid or shark(surf gear used for this). So I was happy to get a decent setup dedicated to squid and I enjoy using it .
ok Brett lets be honest here....Have you noticed an increase in squid captures(hard to measure but relative to your own experiences) since you have started using your egi gear????

Any other ppl who can positively say that their egi gear has made a marked improvement in their squiding?

Would be interesting to know....who knows maybe one day I will be converted :roflmao:

shazdoggg
When I got time,
I wet a line cos Im a junkie,
been fishin since a kid,
I like it cos it numbs me..

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:12 am

Honestly speaking all you need to catch Calamari is a Round "Capstan" style handcaster loaded with approx-50m of 25lb mono , Bait jigs & some Yozuri style prawn jigs , i fish this way for Squid all my life & have caught many many Calamari & huge ones @ that using this time proven method .

P.S. i've said it before , why is it ppl like to complicate something as simple as Calamari fishing :?' "i guess its $$ Driven sales of gear we dont need" .

Brett

Post by Brett » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:36 am

An increase in squid captures, NO

More enjoyment in using the gear, YES.

As for $$ driven, I don't see it tht way. The reel I purchased cost $209. I've seen others have no hesitation in buying more expensive reels to catch trout :-|
The rod was $160(from memory) I've seen others buy rods 3 times the price to flick plastics at flathead :-|

Then lets not even get started onthe price of a snapper outfit.

I got this gear, because I wanted it, not because it will make me catch more squid(though I generally catch more than most).
I target in general 2 species, calamari and gummy, I enjoy what I do and I want the gear that allows me to.
This also leads to my recent purchase of 2 daiwa emcast reels and the not to distant purchase of 2 okuma Xfactor 12" rods. I've used cheap combos for mostof my fishing, I am now in a position to upgrade that to something a little more "special" Will it catch me more fish, I doubt it, will I enjoy it more definately.

Side note* My 2 Jarvis Walker combos, 1 @ $35 and 1 @ $50 have caught me around 30 gummies, countless banjos, eagle rays, port jacksons, whiting, flathead and the list goes on(don't forget the 400 elephants lol)

So in the end, it's not about the money or that you'll catch more fish. It IS what you enjoy using and feel comfortable paying for. MOO

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:02 pm

I was not going to read this post as I hate this egi gear topics but I was puzzled by Brett's threat on anoter topic that he will start editing posts so here is my 2 cents on this after reading the whole thing.

$400 gear is not expensive these days. Good and noce looking toys come at a price. Do we need egi gears to catch squid - NO! Do we feel good holding and toying with nice gears? - YES! If an angler wants a toy, I guess no one can stop the angler from buying a new toy. Even my missus cant stop me from having new toys. :grin:

Last weekend, I was in Portsea pier with my SALMON spin outpit. I was spinning for salmon then I changed to squid jigs when the squid showed up. An old man noticed my shiny outfit and he asked me what brands are my outfit. So here is what I had that day:

> Shimano T-Curve Revolution Inshore spin - worth $200 + from tackle shops
> Shimano Stradic CI4 2500 - worth $300+ on some tackle shops
> Line - Spiderwire braid worth $70 a couple of years back, cheaper now
> mono leader - Stren high Impact $25 a spool
> Jig - $4 yoshikawa from eBay. It works and it does hurt to lose one or 2 a day. :grin:

The old man was surprised I was using an outfit that will cost him over $500. I did not realize that as well. But the truth is, I feel handsome when lady anglers loook at me, I mean on my outfit. :lolf:

Do I need a $500 outfit to chase the salmon? No, but I enjoy using them. I'll buy something I want if I can afford it. Just like what Brett said, it's good to enjoy something from time to time specially if we work hard hiding the loose change from the missus so we can save enough for our toys. :lolf: :roflmao:

and by the way, on the topic of squid gaff, DO I NEED IT? well, after dropping a monster last weekend because the tentacles were ripped by the weight, I felt so bad and I suddenly found an urge to say - I NEED THAT SQUID GAFF!. So I made one for myself.

PS. I dont need an SUV but I bought one. Feels good to drive on a higher seat.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

DonVito

Post by DonVito » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:22 pm

Wow, this has gone so off topic! I whole heartedly agree with shaz - you do not need "egi gear" to catch squid and this was the whole reason to the topic posted. I clearly wanted to know the difference between a egi rod and a general everyday rod. Couldn't agree any more with Brett. It's what you're comfortable with (fishing wise) as to what you choose in a rod/reel etc..

I will say this though.. I consider myself a keen angler and whenever I go fishing with mates, I normally always catch the best fish for the trip. Not because I used a different bait from the other guys, not because I had my line in the water for the longest, none of that.. but because I was able to cast a lot further and therefore, get to the places where most people don't fish. The average angler buys a rod and is happy with a cast of 10-30meters. I like to think that, I am getting the bait out far enough to where the fish aren't seeing the same baits everyday.

With all that being said, here I am, forking out the dollars to get the rod that will cast a mile, with the braid that will pick up the slightest nibbles, with the reel that will allow the line to peel off the reel and lock up when need be.

Call me what you will but all of that accounts for something.

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:38 am

Just for the record, anything Ive written was not meant to offend or insult anyone!! :shock: :shock: Not unlike fish cador I also own outfits that is a little on the pricey side. My latest purchase has been a stradic 4000FI($170) on a nitro magnum butt($330) with powerpro($37.thx 2 tacklenut :thumbsup: ). An outfit a bit over $500 to catch salmon and maybe a jewie during summer?? I also use poles when fishing which cost me $15 each. They paid themselves offf pretty quickly :lol: :lol:

As I said earlier, if you want a new toy, go get it cos its nice to have the best you can afford.

cheers shazdoggg
When I got time,
been fishin since a kid,

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:58 am

I dont know what was perceived to be offending on this topic. I just cant see it. Maybe I am numb or I am not a sensitive person I thought I am.

If there is a difference in performance an angler feels (i.e. lighter, balanced, nice action) then go for it. If we want flashy things, no one can stop us if we want them. However, we dont need expensive stuff to catch squid. Those critters dont care what we paid. I am catching the big ones on a prong baited with silver whiting under a float, not on $30 harimitsu jig.

I am still banging my head why I spent a lot for new salmon spin gear when I still have the pearly Stradics. :wall:

I will visit compleat angler and try an egi rod. I may even walk out of the door with one in tow. :lolf: shhhh dont tell my missus. :grin:
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Brett

Post by Brett » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:40 am

No one has offended anybody.

Shazz I know your post was "tongue in cheek"

My reasoning, is how it looks to non members, before they join. EGI bashing is on every other site and I know a few people don't come here and others wont post due to it being here also. In fear of there topic, or question ending up like this, totally off track. Others just can't be bothered anymore.

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:53 am

It appears my posts have been judged to be "negative" and "smartassed" by certain authorities and after receiving a rather abusive message, it appears my presence and input is no longer appreciated here. I have taken steps to ensure my posts no longer offend anyone.

Tightlines, shazdoggg
When I got time,
been fishin since a kid,

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”