Graphite Surf Rod for casting distance?

Alwaysloud

Re: Graphite Surf Rod for casting distance?

Post by Alwaysloud » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:20 pm

Just wondering if I can go with the Stradic CI4 3000 ?. initially I was think of going 4000 version, but since I'll be using Sunline Castaway 16lb spool of 150m which is thinner also the Stradic CI4 3000 comes 64grams lighter then the 4000 model. Would I be able to get away with this reel on a 12FT Rod ?.

Here's a link http://www.shimanofish.com.au/publish/c ... c_CI4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:23 pm

Turtle wrote:I think your over thinking the whole thing mate. Get your self a decent quality rod. Then learn a good technique off someone who casts well. With out a good technique youll never cast well what ever rod you use.

My suggestion is one of the new Penn Prevail rods they come in a variety of line ratings and set you back around $190. They are graphite and also ranging in action and taper. I use the overhead version. All my baiting surf rods are overheads. I also prefer stiffer rods when throwing big distances.

Get a decent reel. Then decent line. Although I love Sunline PE I have big reservations suggesting braid in the surf for beginners. Especially if you fish at night.

For lures I use an 8'6" Graphite Egi rod with a 4000 Ballistic on it running 8lb sunline pe PE. I throw 15-25g lures with it only and can cast a country mile.

It all comes back to technique though.
Have to agree with this, there comes a point that you have to bite the bullet and actually start fishing.

Alwaysloud

Post by Alwaysloud » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:47 pm

I totally agree with use, as I am at that point where I should just bite the bullet.

I personally don't own any good brand.

Thanks

Alwaysloud

Post by Alwaysloud » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:34 pm

Turtle wrote:I think your over thinking the whole thing mate. Get your self a decent quality rod. Then learn a good technique off someone who casts well. With out a good technique youll never cast well what ever rod you use.

My suggestion is one of the new Penn Prevail rods they come in a variety of line ratings and set you back around $190. They are graphite and also ranging in action and taper. I use the overhead version. All my baiting surf rods are overheads. I also prefer stiffer rods when throwing big distances.

Get a decent reel. Then decent line. Although I love Sunline PE I have big reservations suggesting braid in the surf for beginners. Especially if you fish at night.

For lures I use an 8'6" Graphite Egi rod with a 4000 Ballistic on it running 8lb sunline pe PE. I throw 15-25g lures with it only and can cast a country mile.

It all comes back to technique though.
Yeah I had a look at the Penn Prevail Spin Surf rods real light, but it was an old model I think Model: PRESF1202MH. Is there much of a difference between the Penn prevail Surf and Cast rods ?. I think the Prevail Spin Surf Rods should be better for me as I won't be using heavy weights and baits.

TackleNut

Post by TackleNut » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:27 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:
Alwaysloud wrote:Lol sorry I feel I hopeless with my beginner questions.
At least you are asking questions and not pretending that you know.

The best person to talk too about rods, is some one who builds them.
My god,
he has spent the last week asking no stop questions about some rods, lines & reels, both here and also in the line forum, how to get those extra yards and such and has been given a whole 4 full of answers and still asking :icon_lolz:
All these questions on what to do, how to do it and what is best.
For goodness sakes !!!
He likes to name top brands of all the gear, yet I wonder does he have anything above a Fibreglass, some cheapr soppl and some mono attched to it all. IN fact I wonder if he even has those..............
Seems like he just keeps rehasing his questions round and round and getting a lot of people sucked in to answer.
So ar he has approx 66 posts, half of those come from the similar question he has asked on of our forum discussions.

I don't mind helping out but I feel like someone has slached our throat and dropped us into the bucket as it seems this post has an ongoing agenda ??? What is it ? is it to see how man replies you can get and ignore before others wake up ?

Alwaysloud, just go down to Complete Angler or any other decent tackle stores and tell them that you want a top line surf outfit with some premo line ( anywhere between $850 but more like $1250 should be enough). Then way you can blame them when you can't cast as far as you should because you havent practiced, not the guys here on the forum as they have been so busy and patient answering your questions, that most Saint's would have run out of patience with it all

TN

Alwaysloud

Post by Alwaysloud » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:08 am

lol sorry.

I think I was just being over precautions before I get fed bull at the tackle store, I did go to a few which did try to sell me bull.

I decided on a Samaki Zing Surf 12 Ft 12-25LB 2-4oz. However I am looking for another surf rod 10FT, but thats a whole knew thread on its :lol:

Thanks again for everyones advice. :gone:

Alwaysloud

Post by Alwaysloud » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:42 pm

Hey All,

I’m looking for a reel that would be suitable for surf fishing casting using baits and lures mainly chasing snapper, travelly, salmon, whiting, flathead etc. I have 2x12FT surf fishing rodsnow and I’m looking at putting a reel on each.

I’m looking for a reel that can merry up with my rod in helping me achieve distances around 70m – 100m. I know it’s also about technique but will get to that too I just need some right gear.

I was considering purchasing the Shimano Stradic CI4 4000 its ultra light around 264grams but its price tag is pretty pricey $219 to $289 depending which store you go to.

Are there any other recommended reels for casting in the 4000 range that are light and are under $150 ?. I did some research I had a look at the following:

Shimano Sedona FD 4000 $99 - 9kg drag - 354grams weight
Shimano accort xt 4000 $80
Shimano Sienna 4000 FD $60 6kg Drag – 350grams weight

The above seemed light enough but not as light as the Stradic still good though, but was wondering if they were still fantastic to use for casting distances baits and lures?.

Is there any other recommended casting reels that are under $150 and are light weight?.

Sorry for the long post,

Thanks in advance.

Alwaysloud

Post by Alwaysloud » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:41 pm

Would you lose distance if your reels not a 8000 reel ?. I've encountered a few people saying that it only matters 1% for casting distance what your reel is?.

If soo ill probably just buy the Sienna 4000FD. 6kg drag, Bearings: 3 BB + 1 RB, 340-350g weight.

Any thoughts on this one guys ?.

Tomcat1

Post by Tomcat1 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:23 am

ok as far as casting goes i would say a 4000 should be ok i personally prefer something a lil bigger for surf casting just incase i hook a big ray or shark. gives more line for running room for the fish and playing room for the angler. but any good quality 4000 reel should be fine.

one2three

Post by one2three » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:12 am

Hi Guys,

Sorry to dig an old thread but I thought its better than starting a new thread. :-D

I would like to purchase a new Surf rod and reel than will allow me to do surf fishing and rock fishing plus alot of other LBF.

I would prefer a two piece rod but open to suggestions.

I have a budget up to $200.00 per rod and up to $300 per reel if cheaper even better.

Point me in the right direction as this is long overdue to buying something decent for a change. :banana:

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”