Graphite Surf Rod for casting distance?

sal.fonzi

Re: Graphite Surf Rod for casting distance?

Post by sal.fonzi » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:49 pm

Alwaysloud wrote:
sal.fonzi wrote:They are a nice stiff tip.. not sure on the action myself as all that fast xfast medium and slow becomes confusing to me.. you could also check out the penn series of surf rods.. I cant speak from experience but my mates use them and will swear by them

In regards to the Penn Fishing rods which surf rod models are the ones to go for ? I am looking for a rod to add a spinning reel on it.

What size reel?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Alwaysloud

Post by Alwaysloud » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:32 pm

sal.fonzi wrote:
Alwaysloud wrote:
sal.fonzi wrote:They are a nice stiff tip.. not sure on the action myself as all that fast xfast medium and slow becomes confusing to me.. you could also check out the penn series of surf rods.. I cant speak from experience but my mates use them and will swear by them

In regards to the Penn Fishing rods which surf rod models are the ones to go for ? I am looking for a rod to add a spinning reel on it.

What size reel?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
a light 3000-4000 to balance a light surf rod

Alwaysloud

Post by Alwaysloud » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:07 pm

Just a quick one guys has anyone used the Seajigger 325 for surf casting ?. Does it get you over those waves where the fish are ?.

Cheers,

hangsta*

Post by hangsta* » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:56 pm

dont write off the glass rods,ive got a 12' snyder that spits out a 3 oz lead just nice 150m rated to 115g or about 4oz.although the graphite rods are lighter you can easily break them if you mistreat them.glass is cheaper also

sal.fonzi

Post by sal.fonzi » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:58 pm

Havent used one before.. for a 3000-4000 reel I would recommend a 9-10ft rod..

hangsta*

Post by hangsta* » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:43 pm

sal.fonzi wrote:Havent used one before.. for a 3000-4000 reel I would recommend a 9-10ft rod..
agreed i should of backtracked through the post :) for that size reel 12' would be overkill. 9-10' would suit but forget about putting it in a rod holder unless its dead flat, its something you would need to hang onto to avoid the breaker waves.therfore if you hanging on all day go the lighter graphite.jmo

raco09
Has liked: 3 times

Post by raco09 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:30 pm

Mick.S wrote:Comes down to what you want use the surf rod for, spinning, bait fishing (light) or bait fishing heavy (6-7oz) sinkers + big bait, what type of reel you want to use etc....

I have Nitro Messiah, Daiwa rods, other 12' spin stick, and if I'm doing spinning I would be taking one of these rods, but if I am bait fishing from rocks and surf and am targeting toothies, then I pull out one of few Century rods. Best thing I have ever bought. If you are interested, check out this:

http://www.centurysea.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Quality of these rods vs the rods we locally get here on Australian market is really something.
Tip tornado sport is definitely the next rod on my purchase list. Best rod I've used. (Thanks to Pete) :a_goodjob:
To fish or not to fish...NOT TO FISH ??Yea...like that's even an option !

sal.fonzi

Post by sal.fonzi » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:30 pm

viewtopic.php?p=59665#p59665" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Alwaysloud

Post by Alwaysloud » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:30 pm

I can't seem to find much info on the Samaki Surf online or other stores stocking them, have they been superceeded its only available at motackle?.

Anyone used the Samaki Zing 12FT 6.8 - 13Kg Line, Casts 56g-110g. How well does this load up for casting ?.

If I was to go ahead with the above surf model what light reel would I need ?, I have 300m spool of Sunline Super PE 10lb & in 15LB.

Cheers,

sal.fonzi

Post by sal.fonzi » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:32 pm

From memory gone fishin on lathams rd stock the surfcast although i think the zing was the replacement model.. give them a call about it.. also here is their web site..

http://www.gonefishin.net.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was lucky to get mine for $115 from fishing fever a year or so ago.. 12ft rated 6-10kg but I can say that I have pulled in sting rays and sharks well over 10-15kg. The selling point for me was that it was 3pce and easily fit in the boot..

Hope that answers a few questions.. will get back to ur pm shortly

Cheers
Sal

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”