Graphite Surf Rod for casting distance?

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Re: Graphite Surf Rod for casting distance?

Post by DougieK » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:58 am

one2three wrote: Hi Dougie,

Is the Penn Spinfisher v 950 a good reel to use surf fishing as well as rock fishing?

That's my spinfisher 10500, so one size bigger than the one i recommended for you. It's too big for 99% of anything you're going to do with it, I use this one for ballooning for pelagics or sliding for sharks at LBG spots. The 950 is a better size for your application. They are nothing spectacular, but work horse reels that get jobs done. Same with the Fin Nor Lethal 100, i run two of those as well.
one2three wrote: I was pointed to the Shimano Ultegra ci4+ 14000 as this should be good for surf fishing as it has a long cast spool and good for rock fishing however it seemed a bit heavy in weight.
The long cast spool will barely make a difference, maybe 3-5% at most. Better technique is a much better option than spending $350 on a reel. Watch some of JS270's videos or check out some of my posts about casting with him. For that kind of money the Saragosa 10k and 25k are far, far faaaaaarrrrrr superior reels. Adtrac and CarlG both use them, i've got a penn clash that i got super cheap but i wish i'd bought a saragosa.
one2three wrote: I don't mind spending a little more if I had to however I would prefer to save a buy a second light rig for whiting and flatheads and bream.
Different applications, none of what i'd just told you is suitable for whiting, flathead or bream.

I'd highly recommend a cheaper option if you're not an experienced rock fisho, decide if you like it, what you want to target etc then gear appropriately.

one2three

Post by one2three » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:18 pm

DougieK wrote:Image

That's my spinfisher 10500, so one size bigger than the one i recommended for you. It's too big for 99% of anything you're going to do with it, I use this one for ballooning for pelagics or sliding for sharks at LBG spots. The 950 is a better size for your application. They are nothing spectacular, but work horse reels that get jobs done. Same with the Fin Nor Lethal 100, i run two of those as well.
Thanks for the advice greatly appreciated.

Where is the rock location in your photographs.

What sort of rod and weight do you use on that reel.

Dougie I noticed the price on a Shimano Saragosa 10k and 25k is around teh same price as a Shimano ultegra ci14 14000 xtb.

Is there a website that does comparisons.

:-D

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:27 pm

one2three wrote:

Dougie I noticed the price on a Shimano Saragosa 10k and 25k is around teh same price as a Shimano ultegra ci14 14000 xtb.

Not in Victoria.

Yes, the gosa is a better reel for this application.

http://www.alanhawk.com

one2three

Post by one2three » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:30 pm

DougieK wrote:
one2three wrote:

Not in Victoria.

Yes, the gosa is a better reel for this application.

http://www.alanhawk.com
Dougie where in Australia is the location....looks great.

The alan hawke link doesn't work

:-D :-D

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:48 pm

i've got an ultegra xtc (model after yours) but i bought it from facebook for sub $200. it's a great reel and has held up well to a decent ray and an assumed 7gill till i was bitten off but i do have a couple of gripes with it, namely the handle is a hex bolt design not screw in, the knob is shimano's stupid t knob (riveted so can't replace it) and the drag knob is fiddly to set and work. i would also be looking at a gosa or penn reel instead of spending retail on this

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:00 pm

I just got a 12ft Rogue Solucion from BCF. Wanted a slightly lighter surf rod. It casts 2 to 4oz and has a surprising amount of guts for such a slim blank. I've matched it up with an ABU 7000c and it's very easy to cast off ground style. I've got a Daiwa crosscast 6000 reel to match it up with for the beach as don't like the overhead so much on the sand, not used it yet though but looks like a great salmon, bait fishing combo.

one2three

Post by one2three » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:18 am

Hi Dougie,

The Shimano Saragosa 10k and 25k both look like great reels.

Whats the best way to compare reels and see what best bang for your buck.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:42 pm

I use a pair of the 1303h aerowaves that doug has linked to and find them nice to use, both of mine are paired with shimano aerlex xsa 8000 and I find it assists casting distance, it certainly isn't the smoothest reel out there but they have stood up to a fair beating
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”