Graphite Surf Rod for casting distance?

Alwaysloud

Graphite Surf Rod for casting distance?

Post by Alwaysloud » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:15 pm

Hey All,

Sorry for such a newbie question, but I liked to know what type of Surf Fishing Rod I'll require to achieve a 60m to 100m+ distances cast. I know there are different casting techniques to achieve 150m+. The surf rod I plan on buying is to be at least 12ft to 15ft, but this is the part were I am unsure what further specifications should the rod be I:E, Rod's weight ? and Cast Weight required and should it be a graphite surf rod?.

I do have a surf rod with the following specs 13FT, Rod Weight 10-15Kg, Casting Weight 85g - 225g Its Fibreglass. I feel like I am not achieving much distance with this type of rod.

If someone can please advise me what sort of specifications on a Surf Spinning Fishing rod can help me achieve distant cast?. I plan on using for bait is pilchards and lures.

Thanks in advance

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Re: Graphite Surf Rod for casting distance?

Post by Raulfc7 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:29 pm

Hey bud if you after a surf spin outfit stick to a 9-10ft spin rod paired to a 4000 reel. On a good day with the wind behind you, you could cast a fair way with a 40g lure. Don't go bigger if you plan to spin because its not practical repeatedly casting larger rods over and over again.
If you plan to soak baits then grab a rod in the 12+ range graphite with a fast action. If you have reasonable technique you should cast fair distance
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

Alwaysloud

Post by Alwaysloud » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:09 am

What should the specifications of the rod be to achieve long distant cast 60m-100m ?.
Length: 12FT-15FT
Rod weight: ?
Cast weight: ?
Rod material: Graphite ?

If I was to be using a 40g lure what should the max-min specs of the cast weight of the rod be ?. Ill be using the rod for bait also so I most likely will be using a sinker with it.

Thanks

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:23 am

What's your budget like?
Like I said before spinning and soaking baits is two different rods when used in the surf.
Have a look at this link the rods aren't cheap but it gives you an idea
http://daiwafishing.com.au/lateo-pirates/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:24 am

Alwaysloud wrote:What should the specifications of the rod be to achieve long distant cast 60m-100m ?.
Length: 12FT-15FT
Rod weight: ?
Cast weight: ?
Rod material: Graphite ?

If I was to be using a 40g lure what should the max-min specs of the cast weight of the rod be ?. Ill be using the rod for bait also so I most likely will be using a sinker with it.

Thanks

There are a number of factors, involved in getting to 100 metres or more. Sure the rod does help, but having a $500 rod is not going to help if the other factors are not correct.

Technique is the biggest factor. Have a search for
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=178&hilit=+distance" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fishsniper

Post by Fishsniper » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:58 am

Go down to 10lb mono on fully loaded eggbeater reel and you will get 75 to 100 metres without a problem, and that can be achieved with a 12ft K-mart rod.
It takes a little bit of practice but it will come easy once you mastered it and you will catch more fish because of the lighter line it presents the bait more naturally.
Get yourself a pair of waders and walk into the water and you will only have to cast 50mtrs, ( NOT RECOMENDED AT GUNNAMATTA )

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:34 am

Fishsniper wrote:Go down to 10lb mono on fully loaded eggbeater reel and you will get 75 to 100 metres without a problem, and that can be achieved with a 12ft K-mart rod.
It takes a little bit of practice but it will come easy once you mastered it and you will catch more fish because of the lighter line it presents the bait more naturally.
Get yourself a pair of waders and walk into the water and you will only have to cast 50mtrs, ( NOT RECOMENDED AT GUNNAMATTA )
Not a fan of the gunnamatta two step I take it..?

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:36 am

CarlG wrote:
Fishsniper wrote:Go down to 10lb mono on fully loaded eggbeater reel and you will get 75 to 100 metres without a problem, and that can be achieved with a 12ft K-mart rod.
Not a fan of the gunnamatta two step I take it..?
Nope.....nothing worse then getting wave dumped!

Fishsniper

Post by Fishsniper » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:54 am

Yeah, most of my surf fishing is done alond the Great ocean rd where the beaches are a bit shallower. I used to live in Rye and fished Gunna quite a lot and the Rips there are a bit hairy so I thought I should let him know to be carefull there plus it usually required quite a long walk from the second car park to get to the good rips and gutters so a pair of waders made for a long slow walk

Longshot

Post by Longshot » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:00 pm

Its not quite as easy as advertised, If you ever go down to football field and have a cast and measure, I'm sure you'll be surprised. Casting seems to look longer over water. I found my 80-100m cast was actually 40-50m. I've since spent some time with the ASF guys (Australian Surfcasting Federation) learned a lot and can legitimately throw 80-110m otg now.

I agree the lighter line will present more naturally, but you will need some shock leader if you are going to cast with it to prevent it cracking off when the rod loads up.

My $$$ combo is a Century TTLD with a Diawa Emblem Pro, However I also use a Anaconda Brand (Mojiko) Surf Cannon/Cast, which is basically the Chinese knock off of the Century. Its about $80. I've got that teamed up with a Diawa Emcast, and it easily does the job for a lot less money. Both running 20lb Mono.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”