Graphite Surf Rod for casting distance?

Alwaysloud

Re: Graphite Surf Rod for casting distance?

Post by Alwaysloud » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:51 pm

I've just had a look through the Daiwa Australia range and prices I've found the following to be in my price range but the ultimate question is will this answer my question, will it help cast 100m+ ?. (I will have a casting reel & line).

http://daiwafishing.com.au/linear-surf/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or

How about the Shimano Aerowave Graphite

http://www.shimanofish.com.au/publish/c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... phite.html

Will this cast a mile ?

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:34 pm

Alwaysloud wrote:I've just had a look through the Daiwa Australia range and prices I've found the following to be in my price range but the ultimate question is will this answer my question, will it help cast 100m+ ?. (I will have a casting reel & line).

Will this cast a mile ?

Have you heard of the word "Practice" ( I am being silly here) and the word is practice more. Any good golfer knows that the more they practice the better their swing, so the word is practice and practice some more.

Eventually the magic 100 will come.

Alwaysloud

Post by Alwaysloud » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:47 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:
Alwaysloud wrote:I've just had a look through the Daiwa Australia range and prices I've found the following to be in my price range but the ultimate question is will this answer my question, will it help cast 100m+ ?. (I will have a casting reel & line).

Will this cast a mile ?

Have you heard of the word "Practice" ( I am being silly here) and the word is practice more. Any good golfer knows that the more they practice the better their swing, so the word is practice and practice some more.

:-D

Do you believe any of those two models can help me achieve what I want with practice eventually ?. If the Kmart brand ones can do it then I'm sure these costly ones with practice can do further 100m+ ?. Should be fine you ? Quiet pricey just don't want to buy something expensive that wont get me those magic numbers.

Brent

Post by Brent » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:03 pm

There'll be a thousand more people on this forum who have more technical nouse than my kind self, but about 3 years ago I bought a Nitro Surf Messiah. Its a 3 piece rod, 13 foot total length. Full graphite. RRP is $400. Its as light as a feather and the challenge is matching it to a reel that doesn't comprehensively outweight and unbalance the rod.

If you want to cast metal slugs long and far, I can't think of something much better for the coin. If you're soaking baits on a paternoster rig, it'll do fine up to about 3oz sinker weights. Beyond that, the rod bends very noticeably, and it loses a bit of power. So, if you're casting 5oz sinkers on a paternoster rig with a full pilchard on ganged hooks on each leader, then a heavier rod may be better. Aside from that, its a cracking outfit.

I was down at Apollo Bay last weekend, and landed a 53cm salmon on it. Absolute pleasure to use. Sufficient action allows enough flex not to pull the hooks, but the mid section is very strong indeed. Later on the day I was unfortunate enough to hook a 10 foot piece of kelp. The outgoing tide made for hard work and on more than one occasion I thought about cutting the line. Tightened the drag to almost lockup on my Diawa Emcast 6000, and the rod was bent almost double. 40 mins later and I had 'landed' my kelp and got my rig back. Anyone who breaks one of these in normal surf fishing conditions have evidently backed over it in their 4WD on the way back out the carpark. It ain't cheap, but what else in life is these days?

Happy fishing.

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:07 pm

Brent wrote:There'll be a thousand more people on this forum who have more technical nouse than my kind self, but about 3 years ago I bought a Nitro Surf Messiah. Its a 3 piece rod, 13 foot total length. Full graphite. RRP is $400. Its as light as a feather and the challenge is matching it to a reel that doesn't comprehensively outweight and unbalance the rod.

If you want to cast metal slugs long and far, I can't think of something much better for the coin. If you're soaking baits on a paternoster rig, it'll do fine up to about 3oz sinker weights. Beyond that, the rod bends very noticeably, and it loses a bit of power. So, if you're casting 5oz sinkers on a paternoster rig with a full pilchard on ganged hooks on each leader, then a heavier rod may be better. Aside from that, its a cracking outfit.

I was down at Apollo Bay last weekend, and landed a 53cm salmon on it. Absolute pleasure to use. Sufficient action allows enough flex not to pull the hooks, but the mid section is very strong indeed. Later on the day I was unfortunate enough to hook a 10 foot piece of kelp. The outgoing tide made for hard work and on more than one occasion I thought about cutting the line. Tightened the drag to almost lockup on my Diawa Emcast 6000, and the rod was bent almost double. 40 mins later and I had 'landed' my kelp and got my rig back. Anyone who breaks one of these in normal surf fishing conditions have evidently backed over it in their 4WD on the way back out the carpark. It ain't cheap, but what else in life is these days?

Happy fishing.
The bonus is if you break this rod you can get replacement blanks!

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:14 pm

Alwaysloud wrote:
Wolly Bugger wrote:

Will this cast a mile ?

:-D

Do you believe any of those two models can help me achieve what I want with practice eventually ?. If the Kmart brand ones can do it then I'm sure these costly ones with practice can do further 100m+ ?. Should be fine you ? Quiet pricey just don't want to buy something expensive that wont get me those magic numbers.

I havent used either rod, I have an Okuma O/H, Pen big game surf, and an Anaconda, plus a ugly stick. I also have two 3 piece 15 footers, they were el cheapos, and are a pain to use.

viewtopic.php?f=85&t=1337&hilit=+100" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:23 pm

A mate bought along an Alvey out fit that he picked up at a garage sale, I had a cast with it, and he reckoned I got about 100 metres with it.

I think I measured roughly about 90 metres with it. It was the first time that I used an Alvey reel and rod.

TackleNut

Post by TackleNut » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:11 am

Longshot wrote:
Fishsniper wrote:Go down to 10lb mono on fully loaded eggbeater reel and you will get 75 to 100 metres without a problem, and that can be achieved with a 12ft K-mart rod.
Its not quite as easy as advertised, If you ever go down to football field and have a cast and measure, I'm sure you'll be surprised. Casting seems to look longer over water. I found my 80-100m cast was actually 40-50m. I've since spent some time with the ASF guys (Australian Surfcasting Federation) learned a lot and can legitimately throw 80-110m otg now.

I agree the lighter line will present more naturally, but you will need some shock leader if you are going to cast with it to prevent it cracking off when the rod loads up.

My $$$ combo is a Century TTLD with a Diawa Emblem Pro, However I also use a Anaconda Brand (Mojiko) Surf Cannon/Cast, which is basically the Chinese knock off of the Century. Its about $80. I've got that teamed up with a Diawa Emcast, and it easily does the job for a lot less money. Both running 20lb Mono.
Longshot,
your so right about everything, the casts always look bigger when you cast over water.
One day, and that was a Gunna ( my favorite beach at the time ) when I was casting baits using braids, I thought to myself why not make a leader out of some of this Fireline Crystal, it would work well on salmon as they would hit anything even if it was tied to some rope.

So I did and added a 6oz sinker to it and on my 1st cast, just as the braid was flying through my guides, my nightmare happened. Crack/Bang. :doh1: Didn't loose my leader or break the line......I broke the damn rod and my 2 mates just were besides themselves. :rofl:
They said that's what you get for trying to be to smart, should have just left it alone...But nooo way, I knew better :shutup:
The rest of that day didn't go to plan...

So right abouit the Shock leader, very important with braid.

cheers
TN

sal.fonzi

Post by sal.fonzi » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:35 pm

You could try looking at the samaki surf cast and zing models.. they are reasonably priced and good rods.

I have the samaki surfcast 1203 12ft 3pce (my first ever surf rod) and with 15lb line, a 3oz sinker and a lot of practice! I can cast a bait out a mile.. but as all the boys here say.. its all technique and practice.. I would suggest have a look at the rods in the tackle stores (dont buy into the rubbish they tell you in the store either.. most tackle stores will say anything to make a sale) bite the bullet and buy something that u feel comfortable with.. I also fish with a nitro messiah 13ft and find little difference between my samaki and nitro.. both great rods.. both get almost equal distance with the right setup.. btw I am casting on average between 90-110m depending on the bait and rig I am using. which I would say is adequate for me and the locations I generally fish.. casting with just a sinker and no bait I average around 120-130m.

http://www.motackle.com.au/samaki-surf- ... 03075.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.motackle.com.au/samaki-zing- ... 03156.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.motackle.com.au/samaki-allur ... 03070.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As I said.. good strong rods for the price.. and wont break the bank

Alwaysloud

Post by Alwaysloud » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:00 am

sal.fonzi wrote:You could try looking at the samaki surf cast and zing models.. they are reasonably priced and good rods.

I have the samaki surfcast 1203 12ft 3pce (my first ever surf rod) and with 15lb line, a 3oz sinker and a lot of practice! I can cast a bait out a mile.. but as all the boys here say.. its all technique and practice.. I would suggest have a look at the rods in the tackle stores (dont buy into the rubbish they tell you in the store either.. most tackle stores will say anything to make a sale) bite the bullet and buy something that u feel comfortable with.. I also fish with a nitro messiah 13ft and find little difference between my samaki and nitro.. both great rods.. both get almost equal distance with the right setup.. btw I am casting on average between 90-110m depending on the bait and rig I am using. which I would say is adequate for me and the locations I generally fish.. casting with just a sinker and no bait I average around 120-130m.

http://www.motackle.com.au/samaki-surf- ... 03075.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.motackle.com.au/samaki-zing- ... 03156.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.motackle.com.au/samaki-allur ... 03070.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As I said.. good strong rods for the price.. and wont break the bank
Thanks for that, I'll try and find which stores have them to have a feel of them. The website doesn't mention if they are Medium Action Rods, Are they Medium action tips ?.

Thanks

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”