Graphite Surf Rod for casting distance?

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: Graphite Surf Rod for casting distance?

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:29 pm

Alwaysloud wrote:
Wolly Bugger wrote:
Alwaysloud wrote:Thanks.

Should the tip of the rod be flexible/bendable ?. How many degrees should it be bendable when holding it 90degrees vertical ready for a cast, how many degrees should it bend back ?.

I think you are getting the wrong idea on the flex-ability of the rod.

The action of the rod is in the taper. There is fast, medium and slow tapers. Each has a particular use.

I have a variety of surf rods, and I much prefer the stiffer action rods than the rods that I have with a softer action. Except for the rod that I use for casting lures.

The rod when casting will load (bend) with the weight of the rig, a flexible rod will load with much less effort than a rod that is more rigid or stiffer.

If you over load a rod, there is a danger of breaking it.
For surf casting what type of Rod Taper do I need ?.

I did go to a few stores to play around with the surf rods some seemed stiffer and some with flexible tips.

I do have a surf rod with the following specs 13FT, Rod Weight 10-15Kg, Casting Weight 85g - 225g Its Fibreglass. It's tip and tapering is very stiff what rod tapering is this rod classified under slow ?.
Thanks
The best way to look at the taper is too, run the line through the guides, do your drag up tight and pull the line at an perpendicular angle to the rod and see how it bends.

As a rough guide, a fast action rod, bends mostly at the tip, whilst a slow action bends all the way down to the butt.

Alot of what I writing is from memory and it would be better to do some more research with a search engine and look at what other websites have to say.

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:57 pm

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/guides/rodselection.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We're all familiar with the adage, 'you get what you pay for', but we also know there are products out there that are overpriced for what you're actually getting. Fishing tackle is like any other commodity, there are 'bargains' that aren't even worth the time it takes to carry them out to your car, and there are products that cost so much they should make the fish jump into your boat. Rods and reels are two of the most expensive components of fishing tackle and are therefore the most scrutinized purchases we make. Selecting a good rod can be a bewildering experience for someone who wants the most for their money. We ask questions like "What makes this rod so expensive?" and "Is this $300 rod really twice as good as this $150 rod?" With the unbelievable array of good rods available to serious anglers today it's easy to find a great rod that is perfect for what you want to do with it. However, at the same time, you could end up with something that might not be right and you'd be spending some good money for something that you won't use. I believe the most expensive rod you own is the one you never use. Even if it was cheap it was a waste of your money if it stays at home leaning in a corner. Conversely, you may have a rod that cost a lot of money but if you use it every time you go fishing and you love it then it was money well spent

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:05 pm

Have look at wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fishing_rod" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sal.fonzi

Post by sal.fonzi » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:26 pm

To achieve a long distance cast involves much more than just your rod.. the line and sinker weight has alot to do with it.. the questions I would be asking you is what weight sinker do you usually use?
What kind of rig are you casting?
What baits are you using?

Drifta-X

Post by Drifta-X » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:31 pm

To much to read so ill just post.
I can cast 75m + with $50 Kmart combo with mono, so you shouldn't need anything special to get 100m+ if using braid.

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:58 am

I never used to surf fish .. or even thought bout it... my first entry was a kmart special glass one.. it was really thick at the handle n really flexible lol .. i was finding that i was more lobbing the baits out than actually shooting the baits out to sea .. so after my 2nd time i said stuff this and went for an upgrade ..it was a shimano aerowave .. that ended tragically for me .. i ended up catched a giant skate and snapped the rod in the process.. that when i got real angry and bought x2 high end rods lol went straight for the daiwa saltiga ballistic 15-20kg 13.5ft graphite and shimano 15-20kg 12ft surf rods both heavy fast action.. ive not had a problem since ...
You can cast these rods without any effort .. so slowly upgrade imo or you can save that cash and once you have enough for a high end surf rod:)
PLENTY!! of FISH!! in the SEA!! but so little TIME!!!

Alwaysloud

Post by Alwaysloud » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:22 pm

What action taper type should the Surf Rod be medium?, if I am chasing after fish that are less then 100cm and less then 9kg ?

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:34 pm

i rkn MED-FAST
PLENTY!! of FISH!! in the SEA!! but so little TIME!!!

Yianni003

Post by Yianni003 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:20 pm

I have a 16 ft snider glass surf rod matched up with penn 9000 spinfisher and I load it up with 20lb mono with a four ounce sinker . The rod is 7 rap and custom made for long casting. The bottom hand further away to your top hand compare to normal for longer casting and I get roughly 120 to 140 m . Super rod for casting. I hope this helps a bit

Yianni003

Post by Yianni003 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:21 pm

Ill post a pic when I get home to show you what I mean

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”