Daiwa vs Shimano in the begineers/budget area.

TackleNut

Daiwa vs Shimano in the begineers/budget area.

Post by TackleNut » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:05 pm

HI All,

Here I wrote a post to Miker when I read one of the replies from Fish Cador and he gave my opinion the poo poo :down: :down: :down: and came to the rescue of Shimano, come on now do they really need resucing :?: :?: :?:
So I say lets talk this one out forhte world to see :Blah: :Blah: :Blah:

Here is part of his answer and I quote him on it, without taking anything out of context, just the paragraph that basically covers his whole arguement.
Fish-cador wrote:Sweepfire is a nice reel, smooth and looks nice. It looks nice but it is crap...the handle wobbles, it is loose and if you look at the exposed parts, they are all made of cheap plastic. No wonder the reel is cheap. It is disposable. :-D
I wonder why .
Fish-cador my friend how could you say that :?: :?: :?: ,
How could you say that when your most favorite company in the world is just pumping out cheap crappy reels under what seems a dozen models, at least Daiwa have the decency to make one or 2 budget reels, not like Shimano.
They want total domination from start to finish with their spinning reel line up, and I got to add that they are failing badly.
You say that its has it destroyed their image as quality reel manufacturer, you must be the only one thinking that.

We all know what has happened the past few year, Shimano had a great line up of reels and dominated the market for a number of year and they thought that they could rest on their laurels, but got caught out and surpassed as the dominate force in spinning reels, just look at the range these days, if it wasn't for TV Fishing Shows being paid to be using Stella's constantly they could probably have even lost their place as Worlds #2 maker, basically its only their advertising that keeps them their and of course their willingness to make lower and lower end reels to suit the budget market.

Sure as the sun rises, they have to make cheap reels that are available to the Xmas Holiday family fisho and here you are knocking Daiwa for making the same. But on a much smaller scale.
Shimano reps themselves have admitted that at least on the spinning reel side of things, were it is the normal everyday use reel here is Australia they have dropped the ball badly and been over run by Daiwa as the #1 but the gap at the top has gotten crowded with ABU, Penn, Plfueger, Okuma all bringing out worthy reels, also they have lost market share in their cheaper range in the second tier and fringe companies like Tica, Rovex, Shakespeare, Pioneer, Tsunami and Jarvis Walker all taking a bigger bite out of them than ever. They needed to fight back with a new reel, but no, they just lowered the price even further on their existing budget range to make them competitive,
And while they never were major players in the cheap reels area they still had to try to compete with them as to be able to foster the brand name from the very start. Get them buying Shimano early and you should have them for like, the McDonalds attitude
While Daiwa was working on cutting edge reels, Shimano was caught out, having this huge range of reels and only a couple of reels that could match Daiwas new range. Daiwa had snuck though the back door while Shimano was busy trying to be everything to everyone and to cocky for their own good.

Well thats my breif veiw on what has happened during the last few years, please let us know your veiws if you have any and / or what you think of mine as I learn a lot from your input.

regards
tacklenut

Fish-Hunter

Re: Daiwa vs Shimano in the begineers/budget area.

Post by Fish-Hunter » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:26 am

My very 1st reels i purchased with my hard earned $$ as a kid was Daiwa , i have always supported their products . that said i have in the past owned & enjoyed Shimano's products & feel they still make great products .
I personally prefer to use Daiwa reels , IMHO they are great reels . entry level reels like the Sweepfire etc , are throw away reels & serve a purpose to ppl that want a good cheap reel that once it breaks down they just purchase another .
Shimano have IMO a great range , as does Daiwa . am not interested in who is the best etc , i use Daiwa & thats that .

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:59 pm

:Blah: TN, From the same category and price range, show me a Shimano reel that uses plastic and has wobbly handle like a Daiwa sweepfire and I will toss all my shimano reels away. :Blah:

Here is the proof:

That black handle looks a brittle plastic though I haven't dropped my reels and cracked one.

Can someone spot the plastics here?

My first reels were Daiwa. I just bought a Daiwa baitcaster combo this year. I love Daiwa but the point of this topic is the Sweepfire, not any high end models. Even in the same price range like Shimano Slade and Sienna for example, I had better experience with these reels than Sweepfire.

Sweepfire is a nice looking reel...until you use one and see the plastics.

Don't get me wrong. Daiwa has excellent and quality products (except sweepfire). I will always buy Daiwa, will never hesitate but never again from the low range products. :gone:
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:12 pm

“ It's unwise paying too much, but worse paying too little. By paying too much, you lose a little money. By paying too little, you could lose everything, because what you've bought would be incapable of doing what it was bought for. The law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it's wise to add a bit for the risk you run and if you do that, you can pay for something better. " ;)

Fish-cador

Post by Fish-cador » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:43 pm

side by side comparison - entry level reels: Shimano Slade 4000 and Daiwa Sweepfire 4000

Above, which one looks better in appearance and quality?

Above, compare the quality and appearance of the bushing. The Daiwa looks like a soft plastic while the Shimano looks like a ceramic.

Shaft, see below. Slade's shaft is thicker

Pinion Gear - Brass vs aluminum

Is the handle of the Slade loose and wobbly? NO!
Is the handle of the Sweepfire loose and wobbly? YES!

Price varies depending where you buy them. Possibly around $50 +/- a few gold coins. Slade 2500 sells for $59.95 online in BCF but we know we can get better price somewhere else. Sweepfire 2500 of different appearance than I used here sells for $49.95 in BCF.

Slade - made in Malaysia
Sweepfire - made in Vietnam
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

TackleNut

Post by TackleNut » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:47 pm

Fish-cador wrote::Blah: TN, From the same category and price range, show me a Shimano reel that uses plastic and has wobbly handle like a Daiwa sweepfire and I will toss all my shimano reels away. :Blah:
Don't get me wrong. Daiwa has excellent and quality products (except sweepfire). I will always buy Daiwa, will never hesitate but never again from the low range products. :gone:
Fish-Cador,

Now your talking out of your ( you can fill in what you think I might have said but thats probably not what I would say ),

plastic reels, sure thing, just look at the IX,Fx and HyperLoop range, my god they have more plastic in them than a Hyundia or Daiwu car (please for give the spelling as it's 2 brands that I never talk about ), these reels have are responsible for the large hole in the ozone layer.

As for this crap about you will always buy Daiwa Reels, last time you said you would always buy Shimano before the Daiwa and that your true Shimano through & through.
Come on brother, just admit that Daiwa make so many superior models to Shimano that it is not even worth arguing about,
cheer
TN

Fish-cador

Post by Fish-cador » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:33 pm

look at the pictures of Slade and sweepfire side by side.....I dont think I am the only one seeing the difference. These reels are in the same price range. But anyway, I am done, I have put some pictures and I will let the others to comment.

I did not realize you are selling sweepfire. If I knew it earlier, I will not bother getting caught in this topic. Still I will get rid of my sweepfires as soon as I can.

:surrender: :surrender:

:reel: :fishing: :gone: :lolf:
====
Words of wisdom:
====

Fish-cador

Post by Fish-cador » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:06 pm

TackleNut wrote:
As for this crap about you will always buy Daiwa Reels, last time you said you would always buy Shimano before the Daiwa and that your true Shimano through & through.
Come on brother, just admit that Daiwa make so many superior models to Shimano that it is not even worth arguing about,
cheer
TN

Follow up, last post about this topic:

High end Daiwa reels - yes they are good. No one will contest you on this. I will not buy my Daiwa Zillion combo for $800 if I don't like the Daiwa quality. However, if Shimano had the item I needed - I will not buy the Daiwa combo. If I have to choose, between an Daiwa "orange" and a Shimano "orange", I will always go for Shimano - WHY? It's just the way it is.

Low-end, entry level - this is the coverage of the topic you started. I put pictures to prove my point. Let the pictures speak for themselves.

You have your opinion on Daiwa quality with regards to entry level reels and I respect that. Put your proof that Daiwa entry level reels are better than Shimano entry level reels of the same price range and I will mow your lawn. :lolf: :lolf:

I have nothing more to say. This is my last post on the Daiwa reel topics. :waving: I need to change the trebles on my lures and I can't find my pliers to open the split rings...I have cracked a finger nail :help:
====
Words of wisdom:
====

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:47 am

Get out fishing & enjoy the fishing regardless of the brand of reel / rod you use .

Dr Drift

Post by Dr Drift » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:03 am

MIKER wrote:Get out fishing & enjoy the fishing regardless of the brand of reel / rod you use .
Here here!

Dr Drift... :wink1:
Dr Drift...
<((((((><

FishHardButFishSafe...

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”