Reels, is it really the more Bearings the Better ???

Fish-Hunter

Re: Reels, is it really the more Bearings the Better ???

Post by Fish-Hunter » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:40 am

A reels needs no more than 4 to 5 bearings all thats really needed , i got high quality Diawa reels with more than 8 CRBB bearings . but 4 to 5 is all thats needed IMO . My surf reels are Alvey's no bearings no worries , i use Alveys in the surf & my Daiwa gear for all other fishing styles .

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:23 am

as I said, no bearings are the same. The quality of the bearings is supposed to equate to smoother reels. We get what we pay for. I have a $90 brand new Shimano Aernos and it is still not as smooth as my old $300+ Shimano Sustain. I have Daiwa Sweepfire (suitable for carp fishing) and it is no way near the Stradic CI4.

I guess we really get what we pay for. Do we need more bearings? - NO. Will I buy reels solely for the number of bearings on it? - NO.

I have a reliable tool in the shed. It catches more carp from the creek nearby than any other reels I have - empty coke bottle with mono line and running sinker on it. No bearing at all. Does the job well.

Fish dont care what we paid for what we use. I do however care for what I parade down the piers. I might one day snag a young, mucho dinero o rica unica hija pescadora instead of fish :lolf:
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

TackleNut

Post by TackleNut » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:18 pm

Fish-cador wrote:as I said, no bearings are the same. The quality of the bearings is supposed to equate to smoother reels. We get what we pay for. I have a $90 brand new Shimano Aernos and it is still not as smooth as my old $300+ Shimano Sustain. I have Daiwa Sweepfire (suitable for carp fishing) and it is no way near the Stradic CI4.

I guess we really get what we pay for. Do we need more bearings? - NO. Will I buy reels solely for the number of bearings on it? - NO.

I have a reliable tool in the shed. It catches more carp from the creek nearby than any other reels I have - empty coke bottle with mono line and running sinker on it. No bearing at all. Does the job well.

Fish dont care what we paid for what we use. I do however care for what I parade down the piers. I might one day snag a young, mucho dinero o rica unica hija pescadora instead of fish :lolf:
Man those old Coke bottles were something else wernt they, I too used to have a few of those beuties when I was a kid and we used to rape the crap in the Yarra at Abbotsford and even used them for Couta off Princess & Station Peirs at that time.
So funny when I look back at that as 8 & 9 year olds that we used to think that the thicker the line the better we could fish. 30lb line tied to a size #6 hook for Carp and Couta. Funny hting was we were catching them by the dozen, some times hundreds and not one bight off by a Couta, and back then they were a very good size we thought, some of the Couta were as long as we were tall, even used to sell them to other fisho's on the peir who would use them for bugger if I know, but clearly remember selling heaps of them.
Also the Eels caught in the Yarra went to the local Fish & Chip Shop.

All these plus many moe caught on the old Coke Bottle, no bearings, not even a handle !

cheers

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:59 pm

^^
The good old days "hey" :D

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”