Good reel for trout

ned14

Good reel for trout

Post by ned14 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:57 am

Hi everyone, first just want to say hi! New to this forum but ive read around on it for about a week and it seems pretty good! :)
Anyway i just wanted your opinions on a good reel for trout, ill be using it mostly with hardbody lures and celtas. Looking at spending around 200-250, but i dont mind spending a bit extra for quality

Rod Bender

Re: Good reel for trout

Post by Rod Bender » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:35 am

Welcome to the site! Regarding your question, I am a bit hesitant to recommend brand names / models as the two reels that I use are
Shimano Twinpowers which are no longer available. I haven't used any newer models and would be hesitant to suggest any of them. All I would say is what you probably already know - a reel of size 1000 to 2500 is all you need.
thanks
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

ratbag

Post by ratbag » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:49 am

theres a few to choose from in the daiwa stable: Presso 1503 or Gekkabijin MX 2004, in the shimano stable: Rarenium C14, Stradic FJ, Stradic C14 or Sustain.

daiwa are releasing the new Certate soon, so you could pick up a 2nd hand around $300. there is also a BNIB twin power on another site at a great price. the key thing is to match it to your rod to get a good balance if you're planning in casting for long periods. take your rod into your local tackle store and try a few different reels on it.
quid est quod eum

Master-pro

Post by Master-pro » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:16 pm

with that budget as shimano stradic c14 or a shimano rarenium c14 would be good. (Sorry about that last post)
PB- Snapper 55cm, Whiting 38cm, Flathead 55cm, Bream 38cm, Australian Salmon 55cm, Carp 80cm

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:31 pm

Save yourself some money and get a Shimano Sienna 2500. I've got a Stradic Ci4 and although it's a great reel it's not 4 times the quality and not worth 4 times the price either. For $60 you have a good quality reel that will handle any trout you will catch in Victorian waters. :thumbsup:

Cheers Steve
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Master-pro

Post by Master-pro » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:38 pm

you don't need a reel of that quality for trout, like boonanza said a shimano sienna would be perfect
PB- Snapper 55cm, Whiting 38cm, Flathead 55cm, Bream 38cm, Australian Salmon 55cm, Carp 80cm

complete-anglerz-12

Post by complete-anglerz-12 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:16 pm

Abu Garcia Soron i use one for sp and the good thing is a extra spool for two line class's or 1 braid 1 mono and smooth still after a yr of use and that saltwater use only
where is the calamari ............. don't worry they coming ........ they will come

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:26 pm

complete-anglerz-12 wrote: and the good thing is a extra spool for two line class's or 1 braid 1 mono
Finding a reel that comes with a spare spool - very good point!
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

complete-anglerz-12

Post by complete-anglerz-12 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:31 pm

yea i know i use a dawia bull as a surf reel for the reason great at $99 bucks and one spool braid for less wind and mono for windy days
where is the calamari ............. don't worry they coming ........ they will come

ned14

Post by ned14 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:04 am

Thanks for that boonansa, even one of the guys at bcf recommended that exact one, but i know how they can be at bcf so i just wanted to find out a bit more, cheers

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”