Rod Recommendations

TheBoss

Rod Recommendations

Post by TheBoss » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:46 pm

Hey Guys,
In a bit of a dilemma about what I should do about my fishing rod. I have an old Shimano 8ft rod which is around 6 years old (not sure on specs at all, just know its got a spinning reel as well) but I am not sure if I should update or not. The fishing I will be doing will be Land Based the majority of the time, and generally into salt water.
I went to a fishing shop and I was recommended a Shimano Eclipse 7'6" rod, with a Shimano Reel (didn't get the name of it, was all silver, spinning reel) which I was quoted at $140 for the complete.
I was just wondering what the people on this forum think I should do, as I dont think the reel of the old rod is fighting fit any more due to having been dunked in the drink a few times at the beach!

Cheers guys.

Tomcat1

Re: Rod Recommendations

Post by Tomcat1 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:55 pm

check to see if the drag on the reel works. if it works then take it apart and give it a good cleaning. oil it up put it back together. then it will probably be ok for fishing.

Tomcat1

Post by Tomcat1 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:57 pm

if you dont think it is any good anymore let me know i will gladly take it off your hands. i fix up old reels all the time lol. if it is too messed up for me to fix im sure i can use it for parts.

Bartnmax

Post by Bartnmax » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:33 pm

Assuming the rod is ok, if the reel is a bit sus' why not just buy a new reel?
A 4000 Shimano Sienna will set you back about $60-$75 I'd guess.

TheBoss

Post by TheBoss » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:34 am

Sorry for the late reply, haven't had access to a computer for over a week.

I was actually given a 7"6' Shimano rod with a baitrunner reel, but don't think I will use as I want to use my own.

I will let you know Tomcat1, not sure what my dad wants to do with them so when I know I will PM you.

Have considered just buying a new reel, but seeing as though it is really old I think I would just rather buy something new, as I have to update my tackle box as well.

If anyone has any suggestions let me know!

Tonyzee

Post by Tonyzee » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:34 pm

Sienna $49

TheBoss

Post by TheBoss » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:40 pm

Will that do me alright for the fishing that I will be doing?

Would like to know what the name of the reel was, it was a silver Shimano spin reel, worth around $100. Anyone have ideas?

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”