Good 1-3kg rod??

snapperslayer

Re: Good 1-3kg rod??

Post by snapperslayer » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:38 pm

eslop wrote:
snapperslayer wrote:
eslop wrote:
snapperslayer wrote:What is your budget mate? There are plenty very good to very crap rods out there.
Wouldn't want to spend to much more than $150 for something decent. But if there is a good god cheaper I'm all over it. I bought an expensive rod awhile back and I was absolutely disappointed with it. Just don't want to fall into that trap again.

As long as it's not crap!!!

Which one did you get, just out of curiosity and what was wrong with it? Plenty of options under and upto $150 and they are definitely not crap :D

Pfluger Trion 1-3 kg
Daiwa - Generation Blacks just like Gavin said
Berkly Dropshot 1-3 kg

Best way to do this buddy, is go to the shop, ask them if you can put your reel on, and have a play with couple of them. At the end of the day it comes down to what feels comfortable in your hands, remember you will be casting like 2000 times in a day well more or less so it has to be well balanced.

The more expensive the rod is, the lighter and more sensitive(along with quality reel seat, guides e.t.c) but you would have to play with the cheaper ones first so you can really feel the difference when you get a high end one.

P.S. if you are using hardbodies/vibes, rods with slow tapers are generally good, if sps fast to XXXfast tapers are best imo. Having a quality braid makes a huge difference when it comes to casting distance and sensitivity.

Hope that helps, let us know how you go
Thanks mate. Very helpful. The Daiwa Gen Blacks seem worth a look. I have some Daiwa equipment and am happy with it. But I'll check them all out. The 2k casts a day is why I'm looking for some light gear. It's funny how sore you can feel after a day flinging lures. Maybe that's why I drink.

The rod I wasn't happy with was a G.Loomis, just found it was very well balanced for me. I have a mate with the same rod and he loves it. We had different reels, but same Fins braid. It's a heavier rod, but I couldn't even tell you the model. Haven't taken out of the shed for 12mths or so. I paid almost $300 for the rod only.
Sounds like you are talking about gloomis GL2 series, did you try your mates reel on? It can make a huge difference, you can chuck a reel on a $500+ rod, if it does not balances it, you will end up with sore wrists after prolonged casting. :) and the rod will just feel heavy, hmm fair enough, you have two options as far as the rods are concerned.

Option 1:
If I were you I would try a borrowed reel from your mate to try it on your loomis, if still you did not like it, sell it and along with your $150 budget you can get a black label or Harrier(bloody beautiful rods) or just buy Gen black and buy jigheads, lures with extra cash.

Option 2:
If the reel swapping works, get a new reel and keep your Loomis.

If transport is not an issue, I would highly recommend buying a single piece rod. They are more sensitive, light and strong as they do not have a joint in the middle.

rookie

Post by rookie » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:46 pm

Eslop I've got the Pfluger Trion 2-4kg 6'6'' with a Shimano Symetre 1000 and it's just lovely to use, I imagine the 1-3kg would be just as good. With 6lb braid you can feel every little thing, very enjoyable to fish with. Can't remember how much I paid, $120 - $130 bucks maybe? Never regretted it..
Definitely play with some reels while you're at the shop, they make a massive difference. Check out the Symetre series, they're compact & light and feel great on my rod.
And no, I don't work for Shimano!

fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 386 times

Post by fishingvic » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:54 am

you can get a Pfluger Trion at the Big Snake store for around $100.

I have a 7 foot 2-4kg Trion and it's a great rod for flicking lures
Fishing Victoria Admin
http://www.fishing-victoria.com
Fishing Victoria - Forums for fishing and angling in Victoria, Australia.

eslop

Post by eslop » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:34 pm

Gavin1 wrote:Daiwa generation blacks. I have a wild weasel 2-6 kg. They come in 1.5 - 3 as well. I about 139 bucks. I I've been very impressed with it. I use a 6lb braid 10lb leader on mine with a 2500 daiwa and it casts my sx40s and soft plastics a mile.

Check them out. I love the way they look.
Lay buyed a Daiwa Generation Black today. "Itchy twitchy". (With about more 6 lures, 6lb fins braid to go with my 10lb leader) Damn sexy rod and light as. Can't to have it in my hot little hands. :woohoo:

Mrs' comment was "How many rods does one actually need". :dontknow

They'll never understand.

Thanks for all the tips guys :cheers:
Cheers, Scott.

pb's
Murray Cod: 92 on spinnerbait, 81 on surface lure, 74 on bait
Golden Perch: 49 on TN60
Redfin: 41 on TN60
Brown Trout: 68 on SP
Rainbow: maybe 10
Mudmarlin: 78

snapperslayer

Post by snapperslayer » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:57 pm

Fisher better hide now! Good one,

You could have said" How many clothes does a women need?

Cheers

eslop

Post by eslop » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:51 pm

snapperslayer wrote:Fisher better hide now! Good one,

You could have said" How many clothes does a women need?

Cheers
Nice one. :lolf:
Cheers, Scott.

pb's

E-Koka12

Post by E-Koka12 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:58 pm

Hey mate, I actually just came back from the fish shop. Bought my self a 1-3kg Daiwa Crossfire.
$50 cheap.

Just going to use it to flick in lakes and what not.

Get your self a $50-100 reel and your good to go. Setup under $150.

Oh IT'S BLOODY LIGHT :D Yayayaya. My other rods have been heavy.
I now only have 2 rods. A rovex Carbon black used for weighted lines, and now my Daiwa for flicking/trolling.

Gavin1

Post by Gavin1 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:24 pm

eslop wrote:
Gavin1 wrote:Daiwa generation blacks. I have a wild weasel 2-6 kg. They come in 1.5 - 3 as well. I about 139 bucks. I I've been very impressed with it. I use a 6lb braid 10lb leader on mine with a 2500 daiwa and it casts my sx40s and soft plastics a mile.

Check them out. I love the way they look.
Lay buyed a Daiwa Generation Black today. "Itchy twitchy". (With about more 6 lures, 6lb fins braid to go with my 10lb leader) Damn sexy rod and light as. Can't to have it in my hot little hands. :woohoo:

Mrs' comment was "How many rods does one actually need". :dontknow

They'll never understand.

Thanks for all the tips guys :cheers:
I was deciding between the itchy twitchy and the wild weasel. went ahead with the heavier one. They look soo sexy.

6lb fins 10lb leader on mine too :D

eslop

Post by eslop » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:55 pm

E-Koka12 wrote:Hey mate, I actually just came back from the fish shop. Bought my self a 1-3kg Daiwa Crossfire.
$50 cheap.

Just going to use it to flick in lakes and what not.

Get your self a $50-100 reel and your good to go. Setup under $150.

Oh IT'S BLOODY LIGHT :D Yayayaya. My other rods have been heavy.
I now only have 2 rods. A rovex Carbon black used for weighted lines, and now my Daiwa for flicking/trolling.
Too late. $149 for rod to go with my shimano Sedona FD 1000. Already had the reel, so it doesn't count ;)

Up to 7 rods now....
Cheers, Scott.

pb's

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”