Shimano reel comparisons

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Shimano reel comparisons

Post by Kimtown » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:30 am

I’m looking into getting my first overhead reel, and I know only the basics of them

Is there some chart/guide/posts or any solid info out there that explains the key differences between the likes of the Tyrnos, Talica, Tiagra, Ocea etc? Are some reels more suited to deep water jigging with lower gearing while some more suited to trolling within extra high gearing?

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Re: Shimano reel comparisons

Post by Mattblack » Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:29 pm

Stick with the eggbeaters...those overheads are a PITA

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:06 pm

Mattblack wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:29 pm
Stick with the eggbeaters...those overheads are a PITA
Want one for jigging/trolling. I’m leaning towards a Talica, but I don’t really know why. They are expensive, look pretty and the name sounds cool but other than that I have no idea.

From what I can gather it goes tld > tyrnos > talica > tiagra with a few in betweens. But I’d like to know key differences outside of drag pressures.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:54 pm

I thought the talica was a step up from the tiagra? Could be wrong though
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Longbombs
Has liked: 19 times

Post by Longbombs » Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:46 pm

Specific jigging reels are pretty easy to spot. They're usually marketed at jigging market - OceaJigger, Daiwa Saltiga BJ (these have Jig in the name).

Easiest way to tell is if they're narrow, they're generally for jigging (stops the rod twisting when fighting fish).

All the others ones are not purpose-built for jigging but you can get away with some of them as 'all-rounders'.

Talica 16II would be a great everything reel. The 12 for lighter stuff.

I've seen them used for live baiting, jigging and trolling.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:52 pm

4liters wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:54 pm
Not exactly. Talica is a higher speed gearing than the Tiagra. They're both single piece aluminium bodies, the Tiagra (50WLRSA) holds an extra 100m of 37kg compared to a Talica 50 2 speed due to narrower body. The Talica does cost more $1500 vs $1050rrp. Tiagra also available in 80w and 130w sizes, Talica not. Talicas are favoured especially by sword guys because of the slightly higher gearing means less handle turns for 600m of line, narrower body shape has a better cog balance on the rod and they're almost a whole kg lighter than a comparable 50W Tiagra.

Kimmy, if it's more jigging you're going to do drop money on an Ocea. If it's a bit of everything go with longbombs suggestion of a small Talica. If you're trolling go a Tiagra. Reels like the Tyrnos and Torium are just budget friendly versions of the upspec Tiagra, Ocea etc. Better yet, hunt down an older Torsa and a few of the interchangeable cams. Expect to pay a pretty penny for one if found though

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:58 am

cobby wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:52 pm
4liters wrote:
Not exactly. Talica is a higher speed gearing than the Tiagra. They're both single piece aluminium bodies, the Tiagra (50WLRSA) holds an extra 100m of 37kg compared to a Talica 50 2 speed due to narrower body. The Talica does cost more $1500 vs $1050rrp. Tiagra also available in 80w and 130w sizes, Talica not. Talicas are favoured especially by sword guys because of the slightly higher gearing means less handle turns for 600m of line, narrower body shape has a better cog balance on the rod and they're almost a whole kg lighter than a comparable 50W Tiagra.

Kimmy, if it's more jigging you're going to do drop money on an Ocea. If it's a bit of everything go with longbombs suggestion of a small Talica. If you're trolling go a Tiagra. Reels like the Tyrnos and Torium are just budget friendly versions of the upspec Tiagra, Ocea etc. Better yet, hunt down an older Torsa and a few of the interchangeable cams. Expect to pay a pretty penny for one if found though
Awesome thanks for the summary, sounds like Talica is what I’m after. Out of curiosity, what size do most sword fisherman use?

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:50 am

Kimtown wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:58 am
cobby wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:52 pm
4liters wrote:

Awesome thanks for the summary, sounds like Talica is what I’m after. Out of curiosity, what size do most sword fisherman use?
50s. Usually straight through braid with a topshot of 37kg to get over 800m of line on it.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”