zziplex v century

Mick.S

Re: zziplex v century

Post by Mick.S » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:23 pm

This may be an interesting read for some....written by one of ASF members...

Zziplex rods, an idiots guide

"I was asked to write a perspective on Zziplex rods, qualifying for that honour by having achieved casting mediocrity. I am by no means a great caster and possibly even a worse fisho, having an ageing body, failing strength and loss of balance. This, I was told, makes me the best qualified person to evaluate the Zziplex rods that I own/would like to own. Remember, these are primarily designed as fishing rods and we are primarily fishermen, casting is just the tool we use to improve our fishing ability. Some have excelled on the casting court, albeit with some modifications for the casting elite. The majority of rods in any line up are way overgunned for our common shore species of fish unless you are targetting sharks or rays. Let's face it, I had more fun with a 1.5kg Salmon on a shorespin outfit than cranking it over the waves with the Kompressor SS and a Penn 100 Torq reel.

So what are we looking for in a fishing rod? Something you can cast repetitively all day without too much effort. Something that can cast a 3-6oz lead plus bait to where the fish are. A tip that will show bites, sit well in the tide and not pull your lead free. A butt that will put enough hurt on a large fish with enough mid-section give to not hurt the fisho during the runs and not pull the hook free. An action that will not damage soft baits during the cast. A forgiving casting action for my frequent mistimed casts.

Bear in mind that all these rods will cast 220m+, in the right hands, on the casting court. Top of the list would have to be the Primo Synchro. That and the GSI Dream Machine are still regarded as the two premier blanks of all time. As allrounders, these rods have not been bettered. In true Terry Carrol tradition, the Primo Synchro is now available in HiFlex and match versions. Difference, the Hiflex has a more progressive action and the Match, a softer tip action. Top choice would still be the original as an all round fishing/casting rod.

Next allrounder would have to be the HSM. Too soft? Just watch the video of Steve Lewis smash a 200g weight on a full pendulum with this rod. How far? Further than I could push a wheelie bin uphill and plenty far enough for fishing. Superb butt and very forgiving mid and tip section. Sends the lead a long way but retains the match tip for bite detection and bait preservation. One very sweet and easy rod to cast, just ask Harry. With the stiffer tip section, this rod becomes the HST that Scott used in the last championships. This rod falls very much in the middle of the Zziplex range as regards stiffness. Initially I found the action a bit disconcerting, not stiff and not soft. It all depended on your action and timing as to how the rod behaved and felt. This has become my rod of choice for developing technique and timing. It is also the rod which has given me my longest cast. Oddly enough, it has never kicked me despite numerous mistimed hits. Would I take it fishing? Probably too much rod.

One step up would be the Primo Full Tournament. Same tip as the HST with a slightly stiffer butt section. Used to be Jason Willicombe's weapon of choice and the rod Tommy Farmer used to set the USA distance casting record. Very sweet vice free rod and my first introduction to the Zziplex range. Hugely powerful but well mannered. Following the advice of Peter Thain that it is easier to learn casting on a stiffer rod, this is a great introductory learning aid. Not in the beast class of the TTR, WR300, E1000 category. Just a very, very, very sweet casting tool. Okay for sharks, rays and 60lb Mulloway, but too much gun for Sambo and pinkies. Ideal setup would be an HSM and FT as the tips interchange. HSM for fishing and casting, with the FT tip fitted you have an HST for a bit more power and then the FT for that bit more.

An oddity would have to be the M4 range of rods. Equal sections? Who ever heard of a Zziplex with equal sections? Very slim butts but powerful beyond belief. This is the one Zziplex that feels like it could kick you if you got it wrong. I have not cast the Standard M4 or the M4 Evo, but the glass tipped version (M4GT) does add that bit of forgiveness that the Evo butt needs. My last fishing trip was with this rod and what a joy it was to use. It did all of the above with ease. Fished hard for two full days - no pain, no casting mishaps, hooked up and landed everything that took my bait from 10cm Salmon trout to Mulloway. It has been used on the casting court with great effect. I would not go on a fishing trip without this rod in the car. Lite enough to hold and cast all day, same dimensions as the TTLD/SM, but will cast 8oz and a whole new dimension of power in such a slim blank.

Then or course there is the Bullet. A rod brought out of retirement due to popular demand. A stiff as hell butt section with a very very forgiving mid and tip section. Used with great effect by Jason Carter for many years. An absolute pussy cat to cast. The only downside would be that the forgiving action allows many faults to creep into one's casting action. It will forgive just about anything. I have not fished it yet, but it feels like it will be fantastic. Will also cast 8 oz with ease and infact loves the heavier weights. I have no personal experience of the Hiflex version, but cannot see that there would be much to gain with a softer butt section as the the tip and midsections are already so forgiving. Will be in the car next trip to Salt Creek.

The rod I would never fish? My M427. Beauty of a rod. Very powerful. Lovely to cast. Just too big and heavy to fish all day. Belongs on the casting court. I take it out for a flog from time to time. Not as inhumane as the TTR/WR300, but I cannot flog it all day, nor could I fish it all day.

The problem with Zziplex rods is the huge range and the variations within the range. All versions available as standard, hiflex, evo or even SU (stepped up). I guess it's like going to a curry house, huge variety of dishes on the menu with each available as mild, medium, hot or ringstinger. I think when it comes to fishing you can go with mild/medium all day long but ringstinger only once a month."

raco09
Has liked: 3 times

Post by raco09 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:35 pm

Fish-cador wrote:
raco09 wrote: Obviously people know fark all about them.:D
all I know is this is an expensive rod for mullet and gars (and I repeat, it wont help you land a gummy) :haha2:
Shut up Cador :shutup: otherwise this time ill catch a whole heap of salmon and hide them in your car. :bat: :D
To fish or not to fish...NOT TO FISH ??Yea...like that's even an option !

raco09

Post by raco09 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:39 pm

Mick.S wrote:This may be an interesting read for some....written by one of ASF members...

Zziplex rods, an idiots guide

"I was asked to write a perspective on Zziplex rods, qualifying for that honour by having achieved casting mediocrity. I am by no means a great caster and possibly even a worse fisho, having an ageing body, failing strength and loss of balance. This, I was told, makes me the best qualified person to evaluate the Zziplex rods that I own/would like to own. Remember, these are primarily designed as fishing rods and we are primarily fishermen, casting is just the tool we use to improve our fishing ability. Some have excelled on the casting court, albeit with some modifications for the casting elite. The majority of rods in any line up are way overgunned for our common shore species of fish unless you are targetting sharks or rays. Let's face it, I had more fun with a 1.5kg Salmon on a shorespin outfit than cranking it over the waves with the Kompressor SS and a Penn 100 Torq reel.

So what are we looking for in a fishing rod? Something you can cast repetitively all day without too much effort. Something that can cast a 3-6oz lead plus bait to where the fish are. A tip that will show bites, sit well in the tide and not pull your lead free. A butt that will put enough hurt on a large fish with enough mid-section give to not hurt the fisho during the runs and not pull the hook free. An action that will not damage soft baits during the cast. A forgiving casting action for my frequent mistimed casts.

Bear in mind that all these rods will cast 220m+, in the right hands, on the casting court. Top of the list would have to be the Primo Synchro. That and the GSI Dream Machine are still regarded as the two premier blanks of all time. As allrounders, these rods have not been bettered. In true Terry Carrol tradition, the Primo Synchro is now available in HiFlex and match versions. Difference, the Hiflex has a more progressive action and the Match, a softer tip action. Top choice would still be the original as an all round fishing/casting rod.

Next allrounder would have to be the HSM. Too soft? Just watch the video of Steve Lewis smash a 200g weight on a full pendulum with this rod. How far? Further than I could push a wheelie bin uphill and plenty far enough for fishing. Superb butt and very forgiving mid and tip section. Sends the lead a long way but retains the match tip for bite detection and bait preservation. One very sweet and easy rod to cast, just ask Harry. With the stiffer tip section, this rod becomes the HST that Scott used in the last championships. This rod falls very much in the middle of the Zziplex range as regards stiffness. Initially I found the action a bit disconcerting, not stiff and not soft. It all depended on your action and timing as to how the rod behaved and felt. This has become my rod of choice for developing technique and timing. It is also the rod which has given me my longest cast. Oddly enough, it has never kicked me despite numerous mistimed hits. Would I take it fishing? Probably too much rod.

One step up would be the Primo Full Tournament. Same tip as the HST with a slightly stiffer butt section. Used to be Jason Willicombe's weapon of choice and the rod Tommy Farmer used to set the USA distance casting record. Very sweet vice free rod and my first introduction to the Zziplex range. Hugely powerful but well mannered. Following the advice of Peter Thain that it is easier to learn casting on a stiffer rod, this is a great introductory learning aid. Not in the beast class of the TTR, WR300, E1000 category. Just a very, very, very sweet casting tool. Okay for sharks, rays and 60lb Mulloway, but too much gun for Sambo and pinkies. Ideal setup would be an HSM and FT as the tips interchange. HSM for fishing and casting, with the FT tip fitted you have an HST for a bit more power and then the FT for that bit more.

An oddity would have to be the M4 range of rods. Equal sections? Who ever heard of a Zziplex with equal sections? Very slim butts but powerful beyond belief. This is the one Zziplex that feels like it could kick you if you got it wrong. I have not cast the Standard M4 or the M4 Evo, but the glass tipped version (M4GT) does add that bit of forgiveness that the Evo butt needs. My last fishing trip was with this rod and what a joy it was to use. It did all of the above with ease. Fished hard for two full days - no pain, no casting mishaps, hooked up and landed everything that took my bait from 10cm Salmon trout to Mulloway. It has been used on the casting court with great effect. I would not go on a fishing trip without this rod in the car. Lite enough to hold and cast all day, same dimensions as the TTLD/SM, but will cast 8oz and a whole new dimension of power in such a slim blank.

Then or course there is the Bullet. A rod brought out of retirement due to popular demand. A stiff as hell butt section with a very very forgiving mid and tip section. Used with great effect by Jason Carter for many years. An absolute pussy cat to cast. The only downside would be that the forgiving action allows many faults to creep into one's casting action. It will forgive just about anything. I have not fished it yet, but it feels like it will be fantastic. Will also cast 8 oz with ease and infact loves the heavier weights. I have no personal experience of the Hiflex version, but cannot see that there would be much to gain with a softer butt section as the the tip and midsections are already so forgiving. Will be in the car next trip to Salt Creek.

The rod I would never fish? My M427. Beauty of a rod. Very powerful. Lovely to cast. Just too big and heavy to fish all day. Belongs on the casting court. I take it out for a flog from time to time. Not as inhumane as the TTR/WR300, but I cannot flog it all day, nor could I fish it all day.

The problem with Zziplex rods is the huge range and the variations within the range. All versions available as standard, hiflex, evo or even SU (stepped up). I guess it's like going to a curry house, huge variety of dishes on the menu with each available as mild, medium, hot or ringstinger. I think when it comes to fishing you can go with mild/medium all day long but ringstinger only once a month."

So this guy is saying that the zziplex M4GT is better choice of rod in the zippie range, in that it would be able to do everything you want it to?? Tourno casting, fishing, etc....

Mick.S

Post by Mick.S » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:33 pm

I can't comment on M4GT, I own TTLD and TTLD SM who are the same dimension as M4GT and both TTLDs do not have a glass tip, but are rather full carbon all the way through, but are certainly not 8oz rated. TTLD and TTLD SM are different in the carbon and the carbon layout, making the SM slightly more stiffer all the way through, hence SM (Super Match). TTLD SM would be my rod of choice for bay fishing and light surf fishing (i.e. small bait and 4-5oz grapnel sinker).

Would I use this rod for spinning of the beach, maybe not, would rather pick up a Messiah or other spinning sticks, just my opinion.

raco09

Post by raco09 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:51 pm

Mick.S wrote:I can't comment on M4GT, I own TTLD and TTLD SM who are the same dimension as M4GT and both TTLDs do not have a glass tip, but are rather full carbon all the way through, but are certainly not 8oz rated. TTLD and TTLD SM are different in the carbon and the carbon layout, making the SM slightly more stiffer all the way through, hence SM (Super Match). TTLD SM would be my rod of choice for bay fishing and light surf fishing (i.e. small bait and 4-5oz grapnel sinker).

Would I use this rod for spinning of the beach, maybe not, would rather pick up a Messiah or other spinning sticks, just my opinion.

I wasnt really intending on using any of the above rods for spinning. I already have surf rods for that pupose. I'd like a rod so that im able to use for field casting and the occasional surf fish. Cheers

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”