Reel Brands

cameronpatrol

Re: Reel Brands

Post by cameronpatrol » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:23 am

Thanks again guys
Bartmax
I rekon your on the money with selecting the right tools for the right job.
I dont realy belive in using a pissy rod and reel to big fish just to make it fun like they do on TV.
sure if youve got a big fish on somthing that is rated for what your after and it takes a bit of time to bring it in far enough.
but using real light gear and taking ages to bring in somthing the poor thing is so worn out that it croaks from exhaustion when released.
if your releasing that is.

Think i'll be after a overhead combo for the boat i scored a few days ago.
Ive got one already that was left at dads house a few year ago, Alpha rod and Alpha reel.
Kmart specials I think they were but ive used it with some nice fish and hasnt let me down.
see how it all goes.
I try to look after the gear i have the best i can.
rince with fresh water and store with the drag on loose etc

if i may ask how the hell did you get 127 outfits lol.
I thought i collected toys hahaha

cheers cam
There's no such thing as failure, only early attempts at success

raco09
Has liked: 3 times

Post by raco09 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:50 am

FishSamFish wrote:I always buy Daiwa for my spinning reels and Abu Garcia for my bait casters.
I recently went to a shimano TLD for light game and love it.
although I find my Dawia's amazing, I wen't cheap for snapper and bought three Shakespear Tidewaters, and they feel great, run well, never have any issues with them, and best of all, are really cheap, (60 or so a reel).
I find little difference iun the feel between $60 and $120, it's the quality of parts, but I find a huge difference between $60 and $300.
Hey bud. I recently brought a shamano tld 20, my good mate has a tld 25 :D . Just wanted to ask how you find using your tld? I know you mentioned you love it but has it been able to stop big fish?? Cheers
To fish or not to fish...NOT TO FISH ??Yea...like that's even an option !

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:47 am

DAIWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PLENTY!! of FISH!! in the SEA!! but so little TIME!!!

ecofreak

Post by ecofreak » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:13 pm

Bartnmax wrote: IMO what is of greatest importance is learning how to select the tackle that's best suited to your fishing & then learning how to
That is all, best line I have read yet.

If you dont know what you are buying or for what reason then you dont need it. Know what you need the reel for and how you will use it then select the right tool for the right job.
Regards Paul Carter
Gan Craft Pro Staff
http://www.egikuma.blogspot.com

snapperslayer

Post by snapperslayer » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:20 pm

vinhii wrote:DAIWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amen to that!

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:46 pm

hahha AMEN!! im all daiwa LOL
PLENTY!! of FISH!! in the SEA!! but so little TIME!!!

Bartnmax

Post by Bartnmax » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:56 am

cameronpatrol wrote:Think i'll be after a overhead combo for the boat i scored a few days ago.
Ive got one already that was left at dads house a few year ago, Alpha rod and Alpha reel.
Kmart specials I think they were but ive used it with some nice fish and hasnt let me down.
see how it all goes.
I try to look after the gear i have the best i can.
rince with fresh water and store with the drag on loose etc

if i may ask how the hell did you get 127 outfits lol.
I thought i collected toys hahaha

cheers cam
Overheads are an interesting subject just by themselves.
Many people tend to go way too big at times IMO.
Years ago there was just one overhead that serious fishos even looked at - the Penn Senator.
However, these were fairly largish reels that worked well against kings, tuna, etc but were way too large for the likes of snapper.
The physical size of the reel would often over-balance a fine snapper rod, & so they encouraged people to use rods of 'broomstick' dimensions to takle snapper, etc when they just weren't needed at all.

These days smaller, good quality reels are available that can handle some pretty big ooglies.
Two of the best medium game overheads IMO are the Shimano Charter special 2000 & the TLD15.
These are basically almost exactly the same reel except the charter special has a level wind mechanism incorperated.
Whilst these reels realy aren't needed for snapper they will still balance up reasonably well on yer average 4-8kg, or 6-10kg snapper rod.
A better bet again for the likes of snapper, etc would be a TLD 10 or the smaller 1000 size charter special.
The TLD15/2000 charter special work extremely well for largish gummys when partnered with a decent 6-10kg, 8-12kg, or even a 10-15kg stick.

Another great overhead for snapper is the Penn 975 but these can be a bit pricey at around $250-$300 but they are a brilliant overhead.
The Abu 7000 is a classic & although they are now made in china they still represent good value for money.
Personally I still regard the 7000 as a bit big physically but many people love em with damned good reason.
The older swedish abu's are now well sought after.

As stated I have 4 Shakespear Tidewater 15s that I've been using for snapper for around 10 years now.
I service em each year & re-spool em every 2-3 years (use 7kg Berkley Tourny mono) & have never had a single failure with em.
Physically they are a great size & match up well with a nice 4-8kg rod.
They are easy to use & ultra-reliable as long as they aren't overworked by trying to winch in huge ooglies with em.
As a snapper reel they work great.

Some of my favourite snapper overheads are older Penn Jigmasters that I've overhauled/upgraded with nice gear such as stainless pinions, carbontex drags, etc. Although these reels are fairly 'old-tech' they are simple, reliable, & once the upgrades have been carried out, they can handle some pretty impressive fish (have caught some good kings on em, even though I use em primarilly for snapper).
I like these older reels mainly because they have a certain 'character & class'.

I own examples of all of the above reels (in some cases several of em) as well as quite a few more, both at the upper & lower end of the budgetary scale (Tiagra's, Okuma's, Sealine's, etc).
They all work great for their intended purpose as long as they are looked after.
I haven't gone into baitcasters as they are another sub-set of overheads within their own right.

The reason I have 'aquired' so many outfits is that I've been fishing for quite a while now, & I also do a bit of part time reel servicing/repair work, so I like to know how the reels I service actually work out in the field.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”