Baitcaster for light lures

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Baitcaster for light lures

Post by happyfriggincamper » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:14 pm

Does anyone have any recommendations for a baitcaster to flick 2-3" sps and 5-7cm hbs?

Mainly for Albert Park Lake species and possibly trout spinning. Would be paired with a 5pc Berkley Nomad light baitcaster i have.

Not looking for anything exxy, under or near the $100 mark is the price range.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Re: Baitcaster for light lures

Post by cobby » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:51 pm

happyfriggincamper wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:14 pm
Does anyone have any recommendations for a baitcaster to flick 2-3" sps and 5-7cm hbs?

Mainly for Albert Park Lake species and possibly trout spinning. Would be paired with a 5pc Berkley Nomad light baitcaster i have.

Ive asked this question before with a slightly higher budget and response was dont waste your money. Of the current models only the Shimano Stile and Daiwa Alphas CT SV are actively marketed at casters of smaller lures, they start at $450 though.

If your certain on going bc then hunt around for older models second hand, Daiwa Pixy or Alphas type R, Shimano Chronarch 50mg. Any of those in decent knick will still blow your budget. I lucked on a bnib Chronarch years ago in a shop, even after rorting the store (large chain so didn't feel guilty) I still handed over $220

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:58 pm

cobby wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:51 pm
Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:14 pm

Ive asked this question before with a slightly higher budget and response was dont waste your money. Of the current models only the Shimano Stile and Daiwa Alphas CT SV are actively marketed at casters of smaller lures, they start at $450 though.

If your certain on going bc then hunt around for older models second hand, Daiwa Pixy or Alphas type R, Shimano Chronarch 50mg. Any of those in decent knick will still blow your budget. I lucked on a bnib Chronarch years ago in a shop, even after rorting the store (large chain so didn't feel guilty) I still handed over $220
Cobby is on the money here, cheap baitcasters and light lures don't go together. I'm using an alphas air and just added the second to the stable it just needs a bit of a service first.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:41 pm

How light is light?
I was just at Nagambie casting stump jumper size 3.0 (about 50mm I think and 7 gram in weight) with Shimano Caenan I bought at special price $90 paired with 3-6 kg gen black. Not the best but I could cast.
Of course, if you could, BC reel such as Alphas is fantastic. Saw chronarch ci4 at Compleat Angler Bentleigh and was $150 during sale.

I use baitcast mainly for accuracy. For open water with no structure to target (like Albert Park), it's easier with spin. No need to think, can cast far, doesn't matter wind or no wind, no need to worry about birdnest etc.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:29 am

Cheers all - was pretty sure that was the answer from what googling i had done but thought id ask. Those reels you mentioned cobby are the ones that have come up in google searches, but out of my intended spend limit as youve confirmed.

Also remember seeing a thread from truedogz with a baitcaster on a trout trip he did - cant remember what thread or what the reel was.

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:41 am

Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:29 am
Cheers all - was pretty sure that was the answer from what googling i had done but thought id ask. Those reels you mentioned cobby are the ones that have come up in google searches, but out of my intended spend limit as youve confirmed.
Yea I did some research in the past, and mostly said get a good one or not at all. Spending $100 on a not so good reel is still a $100 wasted.
Mostly people use BC here for cod, yellow belly and barramundi, hence designed for casting big heavy lure. Not so much for light lure in tight places.

Try looking for the overseas models maybe, there might be some 'cheap' light bc reel.
There's a nhice market in Asia that loves bc in any situation.
A friend use a megabass reel for trout paired with a short NS rod. Nice and easy to flick around in tight spots.

Yeah maybe try to look for a second hand or a discounted/discontinued reels.

Stumpjumper
Has liked: 19 times

Post by Stumpjumper » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:10 pm

All good advice above. Though if you're willing to double your budget, the Curado 70 is worth a look. I've had one for a few years and it does a good job of casting smaller trout sized lures or SP's.

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:56 pm

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:22 pm

Not sure that I'd worry about it with your budget, a bit more practice with a light spin reel and you'd be all over it, cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”