Yea damm auto correction
Didn't even notice that sorry

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Most versatile reel sizes?

Post by Lightningx » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:44 pm

No probs. I was like what the hell is a static!

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:15 pm

Yea damm auto correct

Mr Fourex

Post by Mr Fourex » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:05 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, this forum is great.
Lightningx wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:12 pm
Most of my reels are between 2500-5000 and that covers just about most of the fishing I do in PPB. However if you want to target kings in the rip for example then I would be looking at larger reels and heavier line.
Even big snappers in season I just use a 4000 size reel.
Are you talking just land based mate or boat as well?
Just lan based for now, in creeks rivers and off local piers etc. I realised my question was overly complicated (I wrote it quick during my break at work)..

Since I’m still new, I’d like to buy a size reel that will cover as much as possible, I’m not looking to catch sharks with it, nor do I want it to be too big for catching Bream in the local creak, but I’d like it to be good for targeting larger river fish whatever that may be.

Also if it makes a difference, I’d like to get away more from bait fishing (which is primarily what I’ve been doing up until now) and focus on using lures, just thought I’d mention it in case it helps recommend a size.

And if anyone could recommend a good size rod to pair that would be great.

Thanks.

Sebb
Has liked: 3008 times

Post by Sebb » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:53 pm

Mr Fourex wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:05 pm
Thanks for the replies guys, this forum is great.
Lightningx wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:12 pm
Most of my reels are between 2500-5000 and that covers just about most of the fishing I do in PPB. However if you want to target kings in the rip for example then I would be looking at larger reels and heavier line.
Even big snappers in season I just use a 4000 size reel.
Are you talking just land based mate or boat as well?
Just lan based for now, in creeks rivers and off local piers etc. I realised my question was overly complicated (I wrote it quick during my break at work)..

Since I’m still new, I’d like to buy a size reel that will cover as much as possible, I’m not looking to catch sharks with it, nor do I want it to be too big for catching Bream in the local creak, but I’d like it to be good for targeting larger river fish whatever that may be.

Also if it makes a difference, I’d like to get away more from bait fishing (which is primarily what I’ve been doing up until now) and focus on using lures, just thought I’d mention it in case it helps recommend a size.

And if anyone could recommend a good size rod to pair that would be great.

Thanks.
Well, that makes even more complicated, lol.

Like everyone else, suit the rod and reel for the target species.

Here's probably my basic idea for the rod reel combo landbased.

2-4kg rod 6ft up to 7ft6 with 2500 reel and probably 10 lb or 8 lb line :
This will cover the standard fishing for fish less than a kilo I'd say. In saying that, a great fisherman can land a fish way bigger than a kilo on this outfit (that's another story).
You can fish the creeks, most lakes, estuaries, piers. From bream, trout, flathead, pinkie snapper to squid.

4-7kg rod 7ft up to 9ft with 4000 reel and probably a 15 lb or 20 lb line :
This is for your bigger fish or snaggy areas. The length gives you distance when you fish off a rock for example. But on a small jetty a 7ft will suffice.
This is when you try to catch big snapper in spring or that monster carp or a murray cod.

So I'd say ideally to have two sets above (to me anyway).
Alternatively you can get a 3-5kg 7ft rod with 3000 reel and 15 lb line, which kinda right in the middle.
To me it's better to have two specific combos.

In regards to lure fishing, it's more of the rod type than the rod class (more detail is for another story).
For example Shimano raider 2-4 kg graphite rod can cast bream lures better than a Jarvis Walker 2-4 kg fibreglass rod. But ofc you can use the Shimano raider for bait fishing too.

My most versatile combo for years (landbased) is my Shimano Raider 7ft6 2 piece 2-4 kg graphite rod, matched with 2500 reel and 10 lb line.
Have caught a 1.5 kg snapper on it off Sandringham.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:21 pm

In Shimano sizes a 3k is most versatile. It's a 2500 sized reel with larger spool and rotor for extra line capacity. It's what I'd use if I wanted to target most species landbased with best chance of enjoying using and landing most fish without going and buying different reels and rods for different species (which is better in every possible way except your wallet).

Not all brands size their reels the same so you will have to watch that

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:23 am

Like pretty much everyone has said, a 2kg-5kg rod that casts from 1/4oz to 3/4oz (7g-21g) lures and 7ft long for distance and a 2500-3000 sized reel with 12lb-15lb good quality braid should see you getting most of the work done.

For example, one of my first decent lure casting combos was a Nitro Baby Viper which is a 7ft 3-6kg line weight and casts lures 9-40g, paired with the first edition Daiwa Sol in the 2500 size with 12lb Sunline braid.

This combo got me pretty much through everything from throwing metals at salmon, smaller lures for trout, hard bodies and spinnerbaits for cod/yellow belly, 1.5 to 3.0 jigs for squid and up to 1oz jig head plastics for big snapper. I even use it as my whiting bait rod. Once I used this for a while i started seeing it's flaws in certain situations and bought really specific gear for what i wanted to do.

I hope this helps.

Cheers, Anth

Mr Fourex

Post by Mr Fourex » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:40 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, still learning a lot but starting to understand all the gear a bit better now. I’ll start looking at 2500 reels. On another note, while I’m not looking st spending this much, can someone explain to me why the Daiwa Emereldas reels are designed for squid fishing? I don’t understand what specification makes it designed for squid fishing. Thanks.

Sebb
Has liked: 3008 times

Post by Sebb » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:26 pm

Mr Fourex wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:40 pm
Thanks for the replies guys, still learning a lot but starting to understand all the gear a bit better now. I’ll start looking at 2500 reels. On another note, while I’m not looking st spending this much, can someone explain to me why the Daiwa Emereldas reels are designed for squid fishing? I don’t understand what specification makes it designed for squid fishing. Thanks.
Nah, no much diff to a normal reel. To me, it's more of marketing plan.
Marketing 101 : when there's no 'problem' in the market, create one and sell a product to 'solve' the issue.
In this case, when you're catching a squid then you need a squid reel.
Squid rod however, is slightly different. Squid rod bends in the mid section, gives a more parabolic curve action.
You can catch squid on a normal rod too, it's a choice.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:55 am

3000 stradic with 2 to5 kg Shimano cranx rod.
Does me from squid to 45cm whiting to pan size pinkies

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”