Veritas 6105 rod and Freams LT 2000. Docklands

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Veritas 6105 rod and Freams LT 2000. Docklands

Post by Sebb » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:37 pm

As posted, I recently purchased Abu Garcia Veritas 3.0 6105 1-3 kg travel rod and Daiwa Freams LT 2000 spooled with 150m 6lb Jbraidx8 (just enough, I reckon 200m fits perfectly).
rps20190715_213114.jpg
Today I went to fish Docklands after work and tested them as an amateur angler user, no technical review as I have no clue.
Brought micro vibe and chicken as bait, size 6 bait holder hook and small ball sinker.

The rod classed as 1-3 kg and casting weight 3-10 gram. Has one butt, two mid and two tip piece. Extra fast mid and light tip, fast mid and ultra light tip. Comes with an 80cm tube. Fuji K guide, reel seat and EVA grip.
The first impression was the lightness, as expected though. The butt has a lot of strength for sure, pretty thick for a 3 kg, feels like a 4 kg or even a 5 kg butt rod. The light tip feels like a 2 kg and the ultralight feels like 1.5 kg. I have another 1-3 kg rod and 3-6lb rod, this Veritas rod is thicker and stiffer to be in the same class.
At $119 this rod is definitely a great value for money. It's like 2-5 kg rod and 3-8lb rod combined. Fuji K guide and all, plus tube. For comparison, my $119 2-4 kg raider doesn't have fuji guide.

Freams LT 2000. Light, compact design, feels sturdy and smooth in everything. Love the clicking sound, loud yet subtle and trebble. I have the previous two freams and this is definitely the best of all three. The first one has zaion body, nice and light but feels plastic-y, the next model seems like a downgrade and heavy; and this LT is a wow!
For a mid'ish reel, this is a great cheaper alternative to caldia or luvias. If I got spare few hundred dollars of course I'd get a certate, but for now this reel is more than enough for the fishing that I do.

Fished 4:30pm-6:00pm and used the fast mid ultra light tip, water was a bit murky, started with micro vibe. Struggling a bit to cast the lure, mind you that it was a bit windy and the rod says 3-10 gram ideal casting weight. Tried vertical jigging, the rod tip flexed well, soft yet still sensitive, I could feel the vibration etc. The mid tip kinda stiff (again, doesn't feel like a 1-3 kg rod, more like 1.5 - 4 kg).

30-40 mins and no fish, changed to chicken bait with running small ball sinker as the plan B, since the purpose of this is to test the rod and reel.
As expected, bite after bite. With fresh water on the top after rain, the bream sits on the bottom where the saltwater is.
Hooked a fish with decent fight in which later I found its a solid 30cm black bream.
The rod tip again flexed well, the mid curved well through the joint, the butt section didn't even flex a little. Very different to my 3-6lb majorcraft basspara rod, where a 20cm bream can bend the butt section. However, I felt the vibration and the shake etc more on the varitas than the basspara. I'd be panicking to fight a 2 kg fish on the 1-3kg basspara but I'd be more confident on this "1-3kg" veritas (because it feels like a heavier class rod).

I set the drag light, just enough to set the hook. The fish took line and the drag was so smooth, the clicking noise was like composed by Mozart (exaggeration obviously). Just imagine a clarinet with the 'ding' sound. That's how the freams clicks. Ding ding ding ding!
Not as light as stradic ci4+, but has the same compact feeling. This freams feels sturdier though.

Overall, apart from the 1-3 kg feels like 1.5 - 5 kg, pretty happy with the rod.
The reel (bought at $169) is an absolute gem.
Last edited by Sebb on Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Re: Veritas 6105 rod and Freams LT 2000. Docklands

Post by happyfriggincamper » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:42 pm

Solid review and post mate

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:39 am

Ive got 4 veritas 2 for snapper fishing. Great rod for the price.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:07 pm

Solid review Seb. I've been looking at something like the veritas to keep in the car along with a few bits and pieces. I think you just made my mind up for me, Much appreciated.

Cheers, Anth

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:46 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:07 pm
Solid review Seb. I've been looking at something like the veritas to keep in the car along with a few bits and pieces. I think you just made my mind up for me, Much appreciated.

Cheers, Anth
Glad my review helped you to decide.
I remember someone posted something about pro anglers reviews often may not the truth as they're sponsored etc, hence can be biased.

To my liking, the one piece and two piece veritas are far better than this three piece. Though it's still great and good value for money.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:18 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:37 pm
As posted, I recently purchased Abu Garcia Veritas 3.0 6105 1-3 kg travel rod and Daiwa Freams LT 2000 spooled with 150m 6lb Jbraidx8 (just enough, I reckon 200m fits perfectly).
rps20190715_213114.jpg
Today I went to fish Docklands after work and tested them as an amateur angler user, no technical review as I have no clue.
Brought micro vibe and chicken as bait, size 6 bait holder hook and small ball sinker.

The rod classed as 1-3 kg and casting weight 3-10 gram. Has one butt, two mid and two tip piece. Extra fast mid and light tip, fast mid and ultra light tip. Comes with an 80cm tube. Fuji K guide, reel seat and EVA grip.
The first impression was the lightness, as expected though. The butt has a lot of strength for sure, pretty thick for a 3 kg, feels like a 4 kg or even a 5 kg butt rod. The light tip feels like a 2 kg and the ultralight feels like 1.5 kg. I have another 1-3 kg rod and 3-6lb rod, this Veritas rod is thicker and stiffer to be in the same class.
At $119 this rod is definitely a great value for money. It's like 2-5 kg rod and 3-8lb rod combined. Fuji K guide and all, plus tube. For comparison, my $119 2-4 kg raider doesn't have fuji guide.

Freams LT 2000. Light, compact design, feels sturdy and smooth in everything. Love the clicking sound, loud yet subtle and trebble. I have the previous two freams and this is definitely the best of all three. The first one has zaion body, nice and light but feels plastic-y, the next model seems like a downgrade and heavy; and this LT is a wow!
For a mid'ish reel, this is a great cheaper alternative to caldia or luvias. If I got spare few hundred dollars of course I'd get a certate, but for now this reel is more than enough for the fishing that I do.

Fished 4:30pm-6:00pm and used the fast mid ultra light tip, water was a bit murky, started with micro vibe. Struggling a bit to cast the lure, mind you that it was a bit windy and the rod says 3-10 gram ideal casting weight. Tried vertical jigging, the rod tip flexed well, soft yet still sensitive, I could feel the vibration etc. The mid tip kinda stiff (again, doesn't feel like a 1-3 kg rod, more like 1.5 - 4 kg).

30-40 mins and no fish, changed to chicken bait with running small ball sinker as the plan B, since the purpose of this is to test the rod and reel.
As expected, bite after bite. With fresh water on the top after rain, the bream sits on the bottom where the saltwater is.
Hooked a fish with decent fight in which later I found its a solid 30cm black bream.
The rod tip again flexed well, the mid curved well through the joint, the butt section didn't even flex a little. Very different to my 3-6lb majorcraft basspara rod, where a 20cm bream can bend the butt section. However, I felt the vibration and the shake etc more on the varitas than the basspara. I'd be panicking to fight a 2 kg fish on the 1-3kg basspara but I'd be more confident on this "1-3kg" veritas (because it feels like a heavier class rod).

I set the drag light, just enough to set the hook. The fish took line and the drag was so smooth, the clicking noise was like composed by Mozart (exaggeration obviously). Just imagine a clarinet with the 'ding' sound. That's how the freams clicks. Ding ding ding ding!
Not as light as stradic ci4+, but has the same compact feeling. This freams feels sturdier though.

Overall, apart from the 1-3 kg feels like 1.5 - 5 kg, pretty happy with the rod.
The reel (bought at $169) is an absolute gem.
:good: , cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

ben475
Has liked: 161 times

Post by ben475 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:37 pm

nice review.

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:39 pm

Good review Seb.

I am also a fan of Veritas rods. When they first came out there were some quality control issues such as unexpected breakages. This often occurs with new product lines - the early Shimano Curado reels had issues too but are now highly regarded.

I love the Veritas I use for lure fishing from the bank for cod. If someone offered me a swap for a Venom I wouldn't take it. The only thing I don't like is the synthetic grip but I took care of that and replaced it with cork. I like it so much I bought a second one and have it in storage in case I lose the original. Light, well balanced and responsive, with as you say some grunt, while nearly indestructible. A bargain at $160.

Great value for money rods.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:01 pm

Great review and great post

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times