Spincast Reels

Obinet

Spincast Reels

Post by Obinet » Thu May 30, 2019 9:31 pm

I am thinking of bumping my boys' reels up to a little better quality. They are currently using 202s, and they have been decent with cat fishing, but they are getting rough, hang on cast, slip when engaging, and the drag just flat out sucks. I have a few places to take them bass fishing now though and would like to bump them up. Anyone else got some kids, or maybe yourself, using some spincast reels https://under-the-open-sky.com/best-spincast-reels/ ? Shimano doesn't make one, so I will have to stray hahahahaha.
Last edited by Obinet on Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tackleberry
Has liked: 301 times

Re: Spincast Reels

Post by Tackleberry » Thu May 30, 2019 10:35 pm

I use one of these on the trout works a treat
http://www.daiwa.com/us/contents/reels/ ... index.html
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Fri May 31, 2019 8:14 pm

I got onto them after using in the US for panfish and they are seldom seen or used here apart from the $10 kmart barbie rods haha. Only use them for trout spinning in rivers and only use the triggerspin models (not the button models - as the trigger spin negates having to spin the rod in hand before/after casting). Ive got a daiwa triggerspin (4lb line), Shakespeare triggerspin (6lb line) and abu garcia triggerspin (8lb).

To be honest, there are certainly more cons than pros - but for the right situation they are a great option.

General pros are they are great for the type of fishing where you are doing cast after cast after cast + situations where you may need some creative angles to cast around obstructions and can enable a lot more accurate casting when you're tuned into it - hence, perfect imo for trout river fishing.

Cons are (comparably to a 2000 reel) the spools arent huge and they are not friendly with braid and will need either mono or fluro. Since you wont get a huge amount on the reel - i wouldnt suggest they are used for anything that requires lots of line out. Reality is casting distance is not as much as an open spool reel - so if maximised casting distance is important, not the best choice. They can be heavier with all the extra casing and i would not suggest using them in salt.

I could see them being used for bass fishing in rivers or off a boat where max casting distance isnt required moreso accuracy. Possibly depending on what line weight you want to run (eg 10lb+?) you'll needed to get a bigger (heavier) model so your not constantly respooling after every few sessions with some line lost to snags. Trout fishing is definitely their niche from my experiences - bass would be doable but starting to push their boundaries imo.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Fri May 31, 2019 10:10 pm

happyfriggincamper wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 8:14 pm
I got onto them after using in the US for panfish and they are seldom seen or used here apart from the $10 kmart barbie rods haha. Only use them for trout spinning in rivers and only use the triggerspin models (not the button models - as the trigger spin negates having to spin the rod in hand before/after casting). Ive got a daiwa triggerspin (4lb line), Shakespeare triggerspin (6lb line) and abu garcia triggerspin (8lb).

To be honest, there are certainly more cons than pros - but for the right situation they are a great option.

General pros are they are great for the type of fishing where you are doing cast after cast after cast + situations where you may need some creative angles to cast around obstructions and can enable a lot more accurate casting when you're tuned into it - hence, perfect imo for trout river fishing.

Cons are (comparably to a 2000 reel) the spools arent huge and they are not friendly with braid and will need either mono or fluro. Since you wont get a huge amount on the reel - i wouldnt suggest they are used for anything that requires lots of line out. Reality is casting distance is not as much as an open spool reel - so if maximised casting distance is important, not the best choice. They can be heavier with all the extra casing and i would not suggest using them in salt.

I could see them being used for bass fishing in rivers or off a boat where max casting distance isnt required moreso accuracy. Possibly depending on what line weight you want to run (eg 10lb+?) you'll needed to get a bigger (heavier) model so your not constantly respooling after every few sessions with some line lost to snags. Trout fishing is definitely their niche from my experiences - bass would be doable but starting to push their boundaries imo.

One of the pros, which I think Obinet touched on , , , , is they are great for kids, especially starting out.

My kids both had the Kmart style , , , , blue & pink one. AND they did catch a fair bit with them. I was forever fixing the things as the quality was low, but they did catch some nice fish.

They were easy to cast , , , , point, cast while releasing the trigger. I think for my kids it was a good and easy introduction to fishing and casting, without the frustration of casting an eggbeater. They got the casting down pat and then moved onto normal eggbeaters with ease when they were a little older.

Cheers, Bug

happyfriggincamper

Post by happyfriggincamper » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:58 pm

No doubt! I was just giving insight on suitability for his question regarding their capability for bass fishing.

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Post by April Fool » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:13 pm

I have seen the Daiwa ones in a local store. What rod is used for them...a baitcast rod or a spin rod?
Cheers
Jim

happyfriggincamper

Post by happyfriggincamper » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:18 pm

Spin rod - 1-3kg or 2-4kg

colnick
Has liked: 37 times

Post by colnick » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:32 pm

I have to disagree with happyfriggincamper. I fished for years with an ABU spincast reel. They are designed to fish like a baitcaster on top of the rod with a pistol grip.

colnick
Has liked: 37 times

Post by colnick » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:44 pm

I have to apologise. My previous post applied only to the push button model, not the triggerspin. I found the push button to be very effective in all my fishing situations and easy and trouble free for my learning kids.

Tackleberry
Has liked: 301 times

Post by Tackleberry » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:52 pm

April Fool wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:13 pm
I have seen the Daiwa ones in a local store. What rod is used for them...a baitcast rod or a spin rod?
Cheers
Jim
Yes as colnick said they are designed as an overhead reel .
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”