Edge rods.

Bugatti

Re: Edge rods.

Post by Bugatti » Wed May 22, 2019 12:14 am

Truedogz wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 9:49 am
purple5ive wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 10:38 am
personal opinion and feel of the said rod goes a long way for some.
I would back P5 100% with his comment.

Good bang for the buck

I believe investing in top quality lures, line and hooks so that if the fish of a lifetime comes along you have a better chance of hooking and landing it is a better investment.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

A lot went over my head about the specific models (showing my lack of knowledge AND lack of disposable finances) but I agree with the sentiments.

We all want a certain "bang" for the bucks we are willing to spend , , , , and decide individually what bang we would settle for, for that money.

But totally agree, the quality in terminal gear and line is paramount , , , , then the Reel with the Rod a close third , , , , hence "the Rod" for me is settled Bang for the Bucks I am willing to part with.

Cheers, Budget Bug

piscateur
Has liked: 63 times

Post by piscateur » Wed May 22, 2019 9:50 am

April Fool wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 3:58 pm
piscateur wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 10:29 am
............... These Edges are not like JW or Veritas which can take some beating , they are raw thin walled carbon rods and wont take much abuse, so at $700 it hurts.
Can you define abuse? Obviously if you slam a door on an edge rod it is stuffed...a cheaper more solid rod will have a better chance of surviving. But if used properly, normal fishing will be fine? What I mean is, a 3 - 5 kg rated edge rod is not going to explode into splinters if it hooks a 10 kg fish providing the angler does not do something stupid!
Cheers
Jim
Yes I was obviously referring to slamming a car door on the rods especially when in the same sentence I do mention the "raw thin walled blanks", i probablt should have added stepping on rod, taking your rod to a ceiling fan, or coating the tips with peanut butter and letting bowser loose on your rods, they all count as abuse as well, there's probably more that I've left out.
The edge rods don't have the benefit of an epoxy protective coating for added impact and scratch protection, and the blank walls are very thin for given weight rating and all that makes them less resilient to abuse.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Wed May 22, 2019 6:16 pm

A rod,s is worth what your willing to pay for it remember the fish dont know what you a using .My favorite rod to use is the daiwa emeralds mx cost me $240 which i dont think is over the top but damm it cast a squid jig extremely well and you can feel everything ,weed on the jig , a squid having a crack and once hooked up just so much fun. Rod technology has come along way

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Post by April Fool » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:05 pm

mazman wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 11:26 pm
......................................................... There's a great story to go with the company and how Gary Loomis got brought back into the rod making industry on a video along with an explanation of the spiral guides on the bait cast model.
..................................................................................................................................................................................
I finally got around to having a look and it is interesting! I didn't notice when I handled the rods instore but they also have offset handles which means that the reel seat sits lower and therefore the reel (baitcast) sits lower and is therefore more comfortable. Will have to check this out next time when I am in there. Not sure if all models have it. What I do know is the store received another delivery of the rods and 3 at least walked out the store this week. I know some of the people buying them...they are best described as hard core! I have a feeling that there are only so many hard core fishos around here and therefore when they all have their rods sales may dwindle! But then again at least one of them has come back and got another rod after buying their first! The video goes for about 15 minutes if anybody wants to watch it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW1zokK4FgY
cheers
Jim

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:15 pm

April Fool wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:05 pm
mazman wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 11:26 pm
......................................................... There's a great story to go with the company and how Gary Loomis got brought back into the rod making industry on a video along with an explanation of the spiral guides on the bait cast model.
..................................................................................................................................................................................
I finally got around to having a look and it is interesting! I didn't notice when I handled the rods instore but they also have offset handles which means that the reel seat sits lower and therefore the reel (baitcast) sits lower and is therefore more comfortable. Will have to check this out next time when I am in there. Not sure if all models have it. What I do know is the store received another delivery of the rods and 3 at least walked out the store this week. I know some of the people buying them...they are best described as hard core! I have a feeling that there are only so many hard core fishos around here and therefore when they all have their rods sales may dwindle! But then again at least one of them has come back and got another rod after buying their first! The video goes for about 15 minutes if anybody wants to watch it.

cheers
Jim

Thanks Jim

I've never heard of Gary Loomis before , , , , but then I'm a hack Fisho, and I'm not saying that with cynicism. He sure knows how to make rods but seeing/hearing him for the first time about a product that I have only heard of recently, he is equally a good salesman.

He has a lot of foresight with rods, no doubt and that comes through , , , , and they are state of the art , , , , not sure if all the "benefits" are within most of the user's ability to notice or fully appreciate.

All what Gary says about the rods ring true , , , , just not sold on the "spiral guides" theory.

He definitely has a great product , , , , in that it is a sort after product , , , , hence the Salesman has done his job.

Cheers, Bugatti

April Fool

Post by April Fool » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:07 am

So...I can neither confirm nor deny I ordered a 4 - 10 lb baitcast rod this morning. Allegedly for my Shimano Alderbaran.
Cheers
Team Bender
Didn't see me do it, can't prove a thing!

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:54 pm

April Fool wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:07 am
So...I can neither confirm nor deny I ordered a 4 - 10 lb baitcast rod this morning. Allegedly for my Shimano Alderbaran.
Cheers
Team Bender
Easy to see you're back at work, posting more frequently, :-D :rofl: cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

April Fool

Post by April Fool » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:09 pm

davek wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:54 pm
April Fool wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:07 am
Cheers
Team Bender
Easy to see you're back at work, posting more frequently, :-D :rofl: cheers davo
Had your reasoning been based on increased spending...then you may have been correct!!!!! I actually showed some restraint as I was undecided between 2 rods at either end of the size scale. Sometimes this form of indecision leads to twice the expense! But common sense prevailed...I decided to wait until the Megabass gear arrives!!!!
Cheers
Team Bender
Doesn't have to be at work until Friday.
Last edited by April Fool on Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:54 pm

To.expensive for me.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:00 am

So when are you going to christen them.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”