Ebay win tonight bargain or POS

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Re: Ebay win tonight bargain or POS

Post by Sebb » Sun May 05, 2019 8:47 am

Bugatti wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 12:03 am

Good advice Seb

When I was practising to cast an ABU 7000, I would go to a quite Jetty , , , , or an Oval.
But yes, a great idea.

I'm just not sure an empty park is going to be big enough though

A park.jpg

Cheers, Bugatti
Haha, good for accuracy practice, don't hit those cars with 2 oz sinker, won't end up nicely.

Smile has a point, mono is easy to untangle good for practicing but braid makes smooth cast. Guess you can start with mono then later on change to braid.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Post by April Fool » Sun May 05, 2019 8:55 am

Gultch78 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 11:14 pm
Sweet now all i gotta do is learn how to cast it
When you do start fishing with it, where will you use it? Snaggy water, tree lined banks comparable to a jungle?
Cheers
Team Bender

Gultch78
Has liked: 312 times

Post by Gultch78 » Sun May 05, 2019 8:58 am

Clean saltwater for the most part maybe to the port side :water:
Attachments
20190328_081431.jpg
I was a premium member before it was cool #aheadofthepack

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun May 05, 2019 11:42 am

If fishing like that just drop it strait down to star with so you get a feel of the feel then try a flick

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Post by April Fool » Sun May 05, 2019 2:26 pm

Will you use it for bait fishing or lure fishing? Despite the name, the low profile baitcast reels are used for lure fishing. In the US, as well as other places, they call lures 'baits'. If you use it for bait fishing and you have to cast it, using a paternoster rig makes it easier. Having the main weight at the end of the line seems to make a difference. As Seb mentioned, this reel will cast better with heavier weights. Of course you can just drop the rig alongside the boat and not cast at all. When the bait settles, you can leave the spool disengaged and you have a baitrunner! Works in fresh anyway, not sure how it will go in stronger tidal waters.

As for line choice...use whatever you normally use for your conditions. 99% of people use braid on low profile baitcasters. I am about to become the 1% of people that are going to try mono...on a couple baitcast reels anyway, braid is my favourite choice for baitcasters. Reality is, before braid come along mono was used on the reels. The only concern I have with mono is that when the inevitable happens (birdnest), if the mono kinks hard, it may be weakened.

As for casting practice...do it whilst you are fishing. I learnt how to use a baitcaster on a big open featureless channel. No trees to worry about...no snags to worry about accidentally landing a lure on! Get into it...but take it slowly. Don't try and cast the spool length off! After every cast, look down at the spool and make sure there is no overrun. When you start to get used to it, start to concentrate more on accuracy. If you are fishing open water, just visualise a spot to hit and try...it will make it easier if you ever fish waters where accuracy is needed. Take note of the second video as well (although you don't have to spit as much) when you do have a tangle...the 'V' of line that catches, you will know it when you see it. Pull the 'V' and it should unravel. When it first happened to me it looked like the only way to untangle it was to take the lure off and pull the line through the 'V'! I figured out eventually you didn't have to!
cheers
Team Bender
Always happy to write a novel!

Gultch78

Post by Gultch78 » Sun May 05, 2019 3:13 pm

Thanks for your replies fellas
I bought it to try out for lure fishing as i have never tried casting with an overhead/baitcaster
So until i figure out how to cast accurately i will add it to my saltwater arsenal
Perfect opportunity to practice casting at my shark rig balloon

colnick
Has liked: 37 times

Post by colnick » Sun May 05, 2019 3:36 pm

I have fished almost exclusively with baitcasters for many years now. I'm pretty proficient with my casting but I still get occasional overruns, particularly when casting light baits/lures into the wind. I'm perhaps fortunate that in my kind of fishing, line stretch, casting distance and spool capacity are relatively unimportant, so I always use mono. It's just more manageable and a bit less buggering around with knots, backing etc.

Gultch78

Post by Gultch78 » Sun May 05, 2019 3:48 pm

20190505_154043-1134x2016.jpg
Probably spool it with this

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Sun May 05, 2019 5:05 pm

Gultch78 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 3:13 pm
Thanks for your replies fellas
I bought it to try out for lure fishing as i have never tried casting with an overhead/baitcaster
So until i figure out how to cast accurately i will add it to my saltwater arsenal
Perfect opportunity to practice casting at my shark rig balloon
Good luck. The one takes the most time is educating your thumb. Make sure your thumb is always on the reel right above the spool so you can slow down or stop the spool anytime before it becomes a bird nest.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun May 05, 2019 6:08 pm

colnick wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 3:36 pm
I have fished almost exclusively with baitcasters for many years now. I'm pretty proficient with my casting but I still get occasional overruns, particularly when casting light baits/lures into the wind. I'm perhaps fortunate that in my kind of fishing, line stretch, casting distance and spool capacity are relatively unimportant, so I always use mono. It's just more manageable and a bit less buggering around with knots, backing etc.
X2

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”