Baitcasters...gear ratio.

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Baitcasters...gear ratio.

Post by April Fool » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:06 pm

Hi all
Just wondering what gear ratios (baitcasters) people choose for different applications. For natives, especially cod, I like it slow but I do have different speed reels. The slowest I have is a 4.9:1. On this reel I will use spinnerbaits amongst other things. Some larger minnow type lures I have I will use a bit faster reel. Because of the way I fish (sometimes on another planet and not paying much attention), I think it is important to choose a reel that you are happy with (the speed) as opposed to having a quicker reel but deliberately having to wind very slowly. Of course you may not be able to afford more than one reel so you make do. As well as choosing a relevant speed for the fish you are chasing, is the ratio important to the lure you intend using? So...what ratio baitcast reels do people use for different fish/applications?
cheers
Team Bender
Now making donut sessions complicated!

Gultch78
Has liked: 312 times

Re: Baitcasters...gear ratio.

Post by Gultch78 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:23 pm

Quick clarification ?
Are you saying that you retrieve your lures by only winding and try to match ratio to lure type
I would of thought to many variables to worry to much about retrieve ratio versus rod action, water conditions, temp, wind and targeted species
Easier to adjust retrieve speed yourself to suit current fishing conditions
Just my 2 cents though
I was a premium member before it was cool #aheadofthepack

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Post by April Fool » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:55 pm

Gultch78 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:23 pm
Quick clarification ?
Are you saying that you retrieve your lures by only winding and try to match ratio to lure type
I would of thought to many variables to worry to much about retrieve ratio versus rod action, water conditions, temp, wind and targeted species
Easier to adjust retrieve speed yourself to suit current fishing conditions
Just my 2 cents though
No, it isn't all I go by. In regards to all the variables you mention (which are relevant...and I did mention the fish you are chasing), I have different reels with different ratios so I will choose one that suits what I am doing on the day. I would not use the 4.9:1 with some large paddle tail plastics that I have. As I said, if one can only afford one reel, then so be it and it can be flexible. Reality is, one could get by with one reel...but some of us decide to splurge!!!!
cheers
Jim

Sebb
Has liked: 2999 times

Post by Sebb » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:17 pm

Sounds very familiar discussion :-D

I agree, ideally, the speed of the retrieve needs to match with the fishing. For example the cod fishing (which I experienced recently), the moment I slowed down the lure movement, I had a bite. We want the lure to be as slow possible maximising the lure to be in the strike zone as long possible.
In example of chasing fast pelagic fish, the lure needs to move fast! Or they wont bother.

I believe the gear ratio helps. I have two baitcast reels with 6.3:1 and 7.1:1 ratio, though doesn't sound much, I can feel the difference.

Similar to spin reel. I used 4.3:1 reel on salmon/tailor and I struggled to get a bite, only follows. Then I swapped to 5.8:1 for faster action retrieve and I started catching.
So if you get a follow, sometimes it's not because they dont want to eat, sometimes you have to change the retrieve and that's all what's needed.

But one wise experienced angler said this to me, "the fastest reel made will never be faster as the slowest fish in the water."

If I had to choose one, I'd choose 6.3:1 ratio reel.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

jedgpz

Post by jedgpz » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:41 am

Hey April,
I have 4 baitcaster reels for Cod and Yellas.
I have been trying Kastking brand as I have worn out a Abu Garcia worm gear which is a common problem with the from what I have been told. Fishing on a budget (well wanting 4 reels and no money) I thought I would give them a go. And to be honest cant fault them so far.
two 6:3:1 Kastking - I use one for spinner baits and currently have the other on my trolling rod (I also cast surface lures and the Big spinners like the fluro orange bassman dt, If i could only have one cod lure this would be it.)
a 6:3:1 Cheap Shimano on my swim bait rod. I also flick big surface lures with this one.
and a 6:4:1 Abu Garcia for hard bodies (up to number 1 stump jumper size) and smaller (below 1oz spinnerbaits)

I like 6:3:1 as it suit my fishing - I think that feel is what counts. What my thinking is that you get use to the feel of the lure in or on the water. I find that different lures work better and different speeds. Spinner baits the slowest you can go works for me. Hard bodies are all different, and I try go as slow as I can keeping a nice action. Surface lures are a different thing altogether and again different lures have different actions. A pompadour swims totally different to a Cod Dog (both great surface lures).
The people who are experts (what ever that may be) say that it is easier to wind a faster geared reel slower than a slow geared reel faster.
I would tend to agree and even with my average geared reels I have to remind my self to slow down and after a surface boof it is near impossible ha.
The other advantage of a faster reel (if you can get use to it and slow down) is that you work less in your 1000 cast for the fish.
Cheers Jed

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:05 pm

I agree with Jed, you can feel what the lure is doing and no matter the ratio you can adjust the speed of your liking, well I do. you missed one sentence in your reply to Gultch78 Jim, and that would be " Team Bender Chief Splurger" :tongue: , cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”