So, that was an expensive trip to the pier ...

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Re: So, that was an expensive trip to the pier ...

Post by cobby » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:13 pm

The Raider egi 802 model? Doubt you'd find another half if it is because I haven't seen many around. But thems the breaks with graphite. Unless you grab it straight off the production line you've got no idea how it's been treated before you buy it. One little imperfection and it's a snapping waiting to happen.

That said I've got an original 762 that's been heavily used and abused for over 10 years. It only snapped the tip when it got wedged between rocks under a flipped kayak in a fast moving set of rapids. Can't kill it

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:56 am

ChrisTaylor wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:32 pm
I managed to kill a Shimano Raider. I don't think I was doing anything stupid -- indeed, I don't recall breaking a rod before, and my go-to rod is a far more delicate creature -- but there you have it. It snapped right below the bit that joins to the other half. That other half is somewhere in the vicinity of Frankston Pier right now. Perhaps you'll catch it one day.

The rod is a few months old, but I don't have my proof of purchase any more. What're my options? A guy at the pier figured I have zero chance of Shimano selling me half a rod. I'm willing to get creative and/or learn a new skill if that's what it takes to save purchasing a (whole) replacement.

cobby wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:13 pm
The Raider egi 802 model? But thems the breaks with graphite. Unless you grab it straight off the production line you've got no idea how it's been treated before you buy it. One little imperfection and it's a snapping waiting to happen.

Mattblack wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:29 pm
It’s just one of the issues with graphite rods, it only takes a small crack (might have fallen off the rack, something fell on it whilst in the car) and they snap clean off like it was cut with a knife. Shimano doesn’t sell parts of rods (except nibble tips)...I keep the good parts after accidents and make ‘frankenrods’.

G'day Chris.

Every indigenous people have had invaders trick them with shiny things ('Ooooow shiny thing") to bamboozle them and accompanied with hollow fake promises to do them out of their land or their riches. The "shiny thing" that Shimano are using, is their Raider range, and full of hollow promises and claims to part Fishos from their riches.

If it is such a great high quality product, then why all this talk of them breaking , , , , it shows it happens often. This happens that often that people like Mattblack, keep the left overs to fix future broken rods, what a joke that as consumers we need to do this, especially with a "high quality product" that Shimano say the Raider is.

Most manufacturing industries use quality control and testing. One of those tests is the "V notch" test. That is where a small v notch is put in the product, to put a minuet weak point to make that product fail at that point and test the breaking force required to fail that product, by either or both, an increased static load or a dynamic load. Also the ferruling is where your rod broke, which contravenes Shimano's claims that their "ferruling system makes no difference to the respective rod's performance". Yeah right, tell that to the other end of your rod and the countless rods they pretend not to know about. The Ol' "first time this has happened", or "that's unusual".

Your rod didn't break at any other point, so an accidental 'hit" is not at play here. It is the ferruling.

They know that the ferruling is a weak point, so this "no difference to the performance" is a farce. The force on the top piece at the ferruling is like a v notch. Imagine if you put your rod on the edge of a sharp edged table and pushed down on it, it would break easily, at the edge of the table, just as the same as it would at the edge of the ferruling, like your rod. That is no surprise.

There is also this thing called "designed Obsolescence", which is designing a product not to last (ie, rust faster, burn out quicker, break sooner) it does exist, Google it. This is illegal. Companies dance around this notion by "not designing it to fail" so that they are legal but by not fixing known or possible faults. They do this by using lower grade materials or certain manufacturing practises as a "reducing production costs" notion, but what they are really doing is a form of designed obsolescence but by default.

This sharp edge catastrophic failure can be easily minimised by radius-ing the inside edge of the outside ferruling of the bottom part of the rod. The same as it would be harder to break your rod on the edge of a table, if that table's edge was curved/radius-ed. They don't do this , , , , sounds a bit like Designed Obsolescence but by default.

Because your rod broke where it did, it was not due to any accidental hit. It is a fault with the rod. Granted not all their rods would break there but it still is a design flaw at worst, or a quality control of product issue at best.

It is a standard "Consumer Expectation" that a product is expected to last a reasonable length of time, not just three months. And also to have a known possible failure point of a product fixed and not left in to shorten the life of that product, especially a high quality product that Shimano claim that their Raider range is.

Either way, Shimano should stand by their "high quality product" and replace the rod, but I bet you a bottle of Jacks, that they don't.

BUT they won't , , , , instead , , , , the ol "proof of purchase", or "deflecting fault to you", or etc etc. The same rhetoric to avoid a simple notion of "Shimano, stand by your product".

What I would do is , , , , Frankenstein your rod with a cheapie top. Just so that when you are on the Pier fishing, all the other fishos would see you and say "what the heck is going on with ya rod mate" , , , , and that's when you can spread the news of the crap product and company that Shimano is.

Because if it wasn't crap:
1. It wouldn't of broken in the first place,or
2. Shimano would have replaced it.

Cheers, Bugatti

guppie12
Has liked: 1 time

Post by guppie12 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:34 am

Yea my raider broke a while ago they are not very good at all

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:23 am

They'll sell you half a rod no worries.
Just needs to get special orderered.

i lost 1/3rd of a surf rod , the entire top section while casting into a knarly shore break at gunners , after my line wrapped around the tip and pulled it clean off. quickest way to make a 350$ rod worth 500$
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:58 am

Don’t give up after visiting 1 tackle store. Few years back I needed spare parts for my dads Shimano bait runner told by a certain store they couldn’t get them.

Visited their rival nearby and had the parts within a week.

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:31 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:33 pm
I thought you can just go to a fishing shop and order half rod. They'll call Shimano and you pay half rod.
Probably cheaper to wait till someone has a sale and buy a whole new one than part full price for whatever they would charge for half, even if they do that.

Its normally top half of rods that snap so doubt it would be easy to find anyone with that half spare.

If it snapped while casting, how come it didn't retrieve when you wound the line back in? Did your terminal rig or line snap off too? Thats what normally happens when you break a rod, or have it come apart.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”