Rear drag spin reels...

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Rear drag spin reels...

Post by Lightningx » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:58 am

I’ve owned a couple in the past but must say I prefer the front drag style. Probably because I’m more used to it :)

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:37 am

Lightningx wrote:I’ve owned a couple in the past but must say I prefer the front drag style. Probably because I’m more used to it :)
Mate if you ever get a chance to have a go catching and fighting fish with one of those Shimano lever drags like the Exage you might change your mind. Can turn it up or down, without taking your hand off the rod or reel handle, just with your little finger.
Admit, some rears are shockers, Abu rears from the 90's were atrocious. I still have front drag reels though which I use as much as the rears.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:52 am

Brownie wrote:
Lightningx wrote:I’ve owned a couple in the past but must say I prefer the front drag style. Probably because I’m more used to it :)
Mate if you ever get a chance to have a go catching and fighting fish with one of those Shimano lever drags like the Exage you might change your mind. Can turn it up or down, without taking your hand off the rod or reel handle, just with your little finger.
Admit, some rears are shockers, Abu rears from the 90's were atrocious. I still have front drag reels though which I use as much as the rears.
Haha I still have one of those abus from the 90s somewhere in the garage!!!

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:21 pm

I still have 4 new ones from the early 90s.
Think they be almost antique now lol

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:33 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Might go see if I can find one, see what they look like in real life.
Bayrock wrote:One of my favourite reels as a kid
rear drag reel.PNG
rear drag reel.PNG (157.11 KiB) Viewed 1206 times
Bayrock, that photo looked familiar and I think I have seen a couple of rear drag reels years and years ago.

So I went looking for some to see them in reel life (lol).
I found some, no wonder we haven't seen many, most must be like these guys and are huddled together, hiding.
IMG_20190202_110617.jpg

This is the 2000, in a bargain bin for $15. There were 4000 in there for the same price. These are very basic , , , , very basic, the quality is , , , , not sure the quality scale goes down low enough to describe these. So I bought TWO :-D

I actually bought them for a specific reason, to be told in another post.
IMG_20190202_110646.jpg

Hey, that's not a smile
IMG_20190202_110949.jpg

Now that's a smile
IMG_20190202_110958.jpg

Cheers, Bugatti

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:48 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Bugatti wrote:
Might go see if I can find one, see what they look like in real life.
Bayrock wrote:One of my favourite reels as a kid
rear drag reel.PNG
Bayrock, that photo looked familiar and I think I have seen a couple of rear drag reels years and years ago.

So I went looking for some to see them in reel life (lol).
I found some, no wonder we haven't seen many, most must be like these guys and are huddled together, hiding.
IMG_20190202_110617.jpg

This is the 2000, in a bargain bin for $15. There were 4000 in there for the same price. These are very basic , , , , very basic, the quality is , , , , not sure the quality scale goes down low enough to describe these. So I bought TWO :-D

I actually bought them for a specific reason, to be told in another post.
IMG_20190202_110646.jpg

Hey, that's not a smile
IMG_20190202_110949.jpg

Now that's a smile
IMG_20190202_110958.jpg

Cheers, Bugatti
They look like the same model Aldi has now and then with a telescopic rod.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:15 pm

Brownie wrote:
They look like the same model Aldi has now and then with a telescopic rod.
Might be, these were real bad. I mean the anti reverse feature on these, was funny. The bale arm (spinning bit) from it's further most allowable forward position before getting to the next ratchet notch, would go back almost a whole turn backwards. So must have only one stop on the anti reverse.

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:21 pm

The rotor spins back, yep, pretty sure thats them. Lot of movement in the wind arm too.
Mate your gonna have a ball with em. But just think, 50 yrs ago they would have been eye poppers. :-D

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:58 pm

Brownie wrote:The rotor spins back, yep, pretty sure thats them. Lot of movement in the wind arm too.
Mate your gonna have a ball with em. But just think, 50 yrs ago they would have been eye poppers. :-D
Yeah, yeah , , , , I think it is the same reels by the way you described them. If you were looking at a reel to keep, you'd drop it back in two secs. But if you were (like me, after reading your escapades) looking for a "hack" to have a laugh with , , , , well if Aliens were looking down at me, looking at this reel, they would have been confused. Every time I found one of the many bad features of this reel I'd "Oh, yeah, beauty"

I was like a kid driving those reels home.

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:42 am

Bugatti wrote:
Brownie wrote:The rotor spins back, yep, pretty sure thats them. Lot of movement in the wind arm too.
Yeah, yeah , , , , I think it is the same reels by the way you described them. If you were looking at a reel to keep, you'd drop it back in two secs. But if you were (like me, after reading your escapades) looking for a "hack" to have a laugh with , , , , well if Aliens were looking down at me, looking at this reel, they would have been confused. Every time I found one of the many bad features of this reel I'd "Oh, yeah, beauty"

I was like a kid driving those reels home.
:-D I like it.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”