Anti reverse switch on reels.

Brownie

Re: Anti reverse switch on reels.

Post by Brownie » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:22 pm

KeenAds wrote:They are the first thing to go on a reel, more trouble than they are worth in my opinion.
Hi mate, i appreciate you replying. But, and not a your wrong im right but, but an observation in my fishing lifetime. In 47 years I have never had that switch fail on any real I have ever owned. When I first picked up a rod and reel they were not skirted spools like now and anti reverse bearings were unheard off. But never ever did that anti reverse of the handle fail. I still have my late fathers Mitchel from the 50's thats drag still works and so does its old fashioned anti reverse handle/spool system. I honestly cannot say I have ever had that fail like you say is the first thing to fail. I've fished every one of those years, both salt and fresh catching everything from redfin to sharks 10 foot long and never had that fail. Drags chuck it in yes, drag ratchets chuck it in yes but that fail? Never.

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:29 pm

KeenAds wrote:They are the first thing to go on a reel, more trouble than they are worth in my opinion.
Hi again mate. Just curious, what brand and reel models have you experienced that failure on?

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:38 pm

I like reels without them, one less place for spray to get in, and one less spring and pawl to **** up and need replacing. These days it seems like a cheap 'feature' to add to entry level reels to impress entry level fishermen, like a bunch of cheap and useless bearings that are rougher than a decent brass bush.

I asked about them a while back and the response was they were mostly used by weird old carp fishermen who prefer back winding to using the drag - maybe a hangover from the days when drags were garbage and you could let out line more smoothly by back winding
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:20 pm

:-D Fair enough, though not too many carp around when I started. And never saw anyone back wind ever :-D What some may not know is that there were some decent reels with actual decent drags years ago. No, I know everyone likes to think that today is the ants pants and nobody had a hope of getting good fish years ago. ( not a shot mate just some recollections) but the trout fishing in the 60's 70's 80's here in Vic made today look lame. And yep we got em on old non skirted spool reels, mono line, fibre glass rods and in little streams like the Jim Crow Creek a 5 to 8 lb brown was common. They actually got up to 12lb in it. It never stopped running and you could kneel down and drink the water out of it. You could spend 3 hours on the Loddon between Cairn Curran and Vaughan and catch fish in every pool and pick and choose what youd keep or release.
Catching redfin any size got boring and they were treated as carp. But never did i know of those reverse switches fail or see anyone use them to backwind. I think, to be honest, the guy who told you that made it up or heard it and passed it on like an urban tale. Seriously, it wasn't all that bad back then. Love the new stuff, but I never had a crap drag reel, some not great that I made good but it wasn't like we had stone washers :-D
Would I swap my stuff now back for the old? :-D Never, im not an idiot, it is better, but we didn't fish with spears back then. :-D

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:53 pm

2nd that

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:51 am

I use penn slammers on my snapper rods,they don't have anti reverse switch and i don't have an issue with them
Just a matter of getting used to it

Kenle
Has liked: 214 times

Post by Kenle » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:39 am

I have a Penn battle 2 and it doesnt have anti reverse switch. It was my go to reel and most used but after a good 7 months of vigorous use in the surf the reel is failing and its back wounding. I'm not sure what's wrong with it but it wounds back 3 to 4 rotations before it actually stops. I was told that it is more reliable without the reverse switch but this is the first reel to ever fail and re wounds on me. I'm kinda disappointed that it's happened, was otherwise a great reel, now it's an ornament in the garage. All my other reels with the reverse function have never failed although I have had a few where the switch piece just simply fell off over time but the mechanism still operates fine.

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:11 am

He Kenie maybe salt has got in and it needs a service

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:59 pm

Kenle wrote:I have a Penn battle 2 and it doesnt have anti reverse switch. It was my go to reel and most used but after a good 7 months of vigorous use in the surf the reel is failing and its back wounding. I'm not sure what's wrong with it but it wounds back 3 to 4 rotations before it actually stops. I was told that it is more reliable without the reverse switch but this is the first reel to ever fail and re wounds on me. I'm kinda disappointed that it's happened, was otherwise a great reel, now it's an ornament in the garage. All my other reels with the reverse function have never failed although I have had a few where the switch piece just simply fell off over time but the mechanism still operates fine.

Battles aren't a fully sealed reel and the anti reverse will always be first to go. If it's under warranty contact the distributor and see what they say about warranty repair. If not, buy the part/s and replace it yourself or get someone else to. The reel will be good as gold again

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:58 pm

Are you guys refering to the anti reverse bearings failing? That may be a different issue, yss had one of those fail on a Penn SS but never a switch as such on any old reels. Maybe that failure is more linked to reels now with the infinite anti reverse bearings. Dont know, but in all the old reels it was never an issue. What was common was bail arm spring failures and before skirted spools line wrapping up under the spool which always seemed to happen when a good fish hooked up :-D Best thing since sliced bread the skirted spools.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”